Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    That's enough of your anti-wrestler agenda youn...

Okeh, serious, what's stupid about his concept?

He's not the most badass guy ever, but he's heroic, enthusiastic, friendly, honorable, and he's a fan of cool superheroes. Plus, he wrestled Thing and hung out with Captain America. Where's the flaw?
    Don't mean to answer for Cbikle, but every good character has flaws. Stark can be a narcissistic jerk, Hawkeye can be reckless, Banner is the Hulk, Rogers has no flaw, which is his flaw . . .

Anyway, we all know D-Man is well meaning, honorable, heroic, etc. But he's just a boob. And this is what makes him endearing. I may laugh at his expense with Bendis's writing, but I still want to see more of him and I want to see him overcome the hurdles that have always been in his way to finally achieve some sort of respect in the super hero community.

Like I said before, I think Bendis deserves a little credit for bringing him back around. There's that chance that Bendis is putting him down in the beginning just to make his struggle towards his goal all the more poignant. And I know the Bendis haters will say that I'm giving him too much credit. But let's see.
    Last edited by Commander Rogers; 09-19-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Rogers View Post
    Don't mean to answer for Cbikle, but every good character has flaws. Stark can be a narcissistic jerk, Hawkeye can be reckless, Banner is the Hulk, Rogers has no flaw, which is his flaw . . .

Anyway, we all know D-Man is well meaning, honorable, heroic, etc. But he's just a boob. And this is what makes him endearing. I may laugh at his expense with Bendis's writing, but I still want to see more of him and I want to see him overcome the hurdles that have always been in his way to finally achieve some sort of respect in the super hero community.

Like I said before, I think Bendis deserves a little credit for bringing him back around. There's that chance that Bendis is putting him down in the beginning just to make his struggle towards his goal all the more poignant. And I know the Bendis haters will say that I'm giving him too much credit. But let's see.
    Well, he's playing quite a long game if thats the case.

Bendis has used D-Man before, in The Pulse 11-13.

It's an odd mixture of characters saying he smells or is a putz, and Dennis generally being derided and played for comic effect, and Ben Urich and Daredevil showing some genuine sympathy towards him.

I actually found these panels well done and affecting:

But this was 2006.

The only time Bendis has used him since is this:

And the annual, where he's now a villain.

So, just to recap, that's 5 years so far of putting him down, and no sign of the struggle towards his goal.

Colour me suspicious.

I will give him credit for the Pulse appearance, it wasn't terribly flattering towards Dennis (he's a delusional fool who lives alone in a sewer, and is derided by everyone except when they think he might be Daredevil).

But the last scene, partly shown above, was some of the best writing I've seen from Bendis.

It's a shame he hasn't shown that sort of quality since.

There he comes off as a writer with some humanity and empathy.

In the "nanny interviews" he reminds me of a bullying child on the playground mocking a kid who is different, weaker or poorer.

Then comes the "it was only a joke" defense.

It does him no credit at all.

Chaotically Neutral Specimen 297's Avatar

That's one of my issues... he did a rather mature story about mental illness... and then a few years later just more or less told us to point and laugh at mental illness.

It's kind of like that one guy at school who would pretend to be your friend and then laugh at and bully you when he befriends the cool kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Specimen 297 View Post
    That's one of my issues... he did a rather mature story about mental illness... and then a few years later just more or less told us to point and laugh at mental illness.

It's kind of like that one guy at school who would pretend to be your friend and then laugh at and bully you when he befriends the cool kids.
    we can only hope Commander Rogers is right, and this is part of some long term game plan, rather than just a writer who finds it funny to belittle and humiliate those worse off than himself.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

[QUOTE=lobsterj;13840914]This thread was created in 2009.

And your just posting in it!?!?! With your avatar I though you'd show him more appreciation and posted more or at least started one of your own.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

[QUOTE=TonyStark1012;13842624]
    Quote Originally Posted by lobsterj View Post
    This thread was created in 2009.

And your just posting in it!?!?! With your avatar I though you'd show him more appreciation and posted more or at least started one of your own.
    Quote fail.

Still, nice of you to bother coming in to show your appreciation of D-Man rather than to just take a shot at another poster.

[QUOTE=TonyStark1012;13842624]
    This thread was created in 2009.

His profile picture has been of D-Man since he started posting here, so he isn't some johnny-come-lately to the D-Man appreciation game.

Neat little story, that could've set up a new status quo for the character, that worked well as a parallel with Captain America. They even gave him a costume that got him away from Daredevil/Wolverine while still being noticeable as D-Man. None of this "you know me" marlarky.

Also I really like how the title is a pastiche of the logo for the 'Nam series.

Neat little story, that could've set up a new status quo for the character, that worked well as a parallel with Captain America. They even gave him a costume that got him away from Daredevil/Wolverine while still being noticeable as D-Man. None of this "you know me" marlarky.

yeah, i really liked that story. it wasn't anything i would have thought up for where d-man was going as a character, but it definitely worked and was a lot better than anything else he has had happen to him in ages. ideally he will show up after this "revengers" nonsense to clear his name, and it will be revealed he has been in the middle east the whole time and the "d-man" in the nanny issue and the revengers arc was some random nutjob. hey a d-fan can dream

I actually have mixed feelings about D-Mans classic costume. And that's something I never thought I'd say.

I've been as critical as anyone else that he's been going around for years in a Daredevil suit with a Wolverine mask.

Yet anytime he ends up wearing a different costume a part of me actually misses it... perhaps because I'm so used to it now, that it's actually weird when he's wearing something else.

ideally he will show up after this "revengers" nonsense to clear his name, and it will be revealed he has been in the middle east the whole time and the "d-man" in the nanny issue and the revengers arc was some random nutjob. hey a d-fan can dream
    Too bad Secret Invasion is over and done with.

Although, maybe it can be a Skrull who somehow escaped notice?
    "Our job is to do the impossible and make it look easy." Hawk G.I.Joe #1 (marvel series)

"Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" Buck Murdoc Airplane II the Sequel

Favorite Writers: Geoff Johns, Larry Hama, Kurt Busiek

Favorite Artists: George Perez, Alex Ross

Favorite Heroes: Captain America, Captain Harlock, Alan Scott, Duke, Optimus Prime

Favorite Villains: Char Aznable, Darth Vader, Megatron, Dr Doom

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I actually have mixed feelings about D-Mans classic costume. And that's something I never thought I'd say.

I've been as critical as anyone else that he's been going around for years in a Daredevil suit with a Wolverine mask.

Yet anytime he ends up wearing a different costume a part of me actually misses it... perhaps because I'm so used to it now, that it's actually weird when he's wearing something else.
    I'm not so bothered about the Wolverine mask (which he hardly wore in his original appearances anyway), but I do like the old Daredevil suit. I don't see why that should be a problem with the Stupid Costume Police. There's plenty of heroes going around wearing discarded costumes of others. And it's not as if the yellow costume is truly iconic any more than Spider-Man's Ricochet costume was.
    Last edited by Specimen 297; 09-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.

I'm not so bothered about the Wolverine mask (which he hardly wore in his original appearances), but I do like the old Daredevil suit. I don't see why that should be a problem. There's plenty of heroes going around wearing discarded costumes of others. It's not like the yellow costume is truly iconic.
    I think the faux original DD costume is part of his charm.

Like Ma Hunkel (DC's original Red Tornado), Dennis is kind of a D.I.Y. hero.

Normally I don't care for a character wearing anothers costume other than as part of a plot, but on Dennis it works.

Plus he's worn it a hell of a lot longer than DD did, so to my mind, he's earned it, and made it his own.

I hope when whatever it is Bendis is doing with him this time plays out, D-Man goes back to something like the old suit.