Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1182
  1. #61
    The Notorious BIB mattbib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Posts
    14,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleX View Post
    That's just it, this WASN'T a "Luke Cage Appreciation Thread" until he made it one. If I had called it that it would have been redundant, not to mention boring. It was a broader discussion about the nature of stereotypes and how they related to Luke Cage and the Avengers. He hijacked it, generalized it, slapped his name on it and took full credit. That's not right. I would prefer it if he had deleted it all together.

    Maybe it's my fault because I'm used to discussing how comic characters relate to our society and not just the characters themselves?

    If I'm wrong, I apologize...but I feel like I've been stolen from.
    We generally don't discuss our moderation or administration in public, but since you aired your gripe instead of PMing me...

    You titled the thread "Why I like Luke Cage". IMO that equals "appreciation". Also, as has already been pointed out, opinions aren't worthy of threads and since this Appreciation thread already existed, albeit with no posts, they were merged. If you want to have a broader discussion about the nature of stereotypes then I'd suggest using a more appropriate thread title.

    Additionally, upon actually reading the thread after I'd merged them, I saw that by your second, now deleted, post, you turned the thread into a discussion about other posters, not stereotypes and not Luke Cage. It's against this forum's rules to talk about or insult other posters, which is where the thread ended up. Discussing what you think others are feeling or threatened by...not allowed.

    Lastly, posters don't "own" threads. They belong to the forum, so implyng that I've stolen from you by merging threads and deleting inappropriate posts...I really don't know how to respond to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    I actually really enjoyed your original post and would like to have discussion on it.

    Mattbib, is there anyway we can have that?
    Certainly, TripleX should feel free to start a new thread on the topic he wants to discuss as long as the discussion remains about the comics and not about other people. Though, frankly, based on experience with discussions of race on this forum, I'd predict that it won't end any better.
    Last edited by mattbib; 05-18-2010 at 11:10 PM.

  2. #62
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattbib View Post
    We generally don't discuss our moderation or administration in public, but since you aired your gripe instead of PMing me...

    You titled the thread "Why I like Luke Cage". IMO that equals "appreciation". Also, as has already been pointed out, opinions aren't worthy of threads and since this Appreciation thread already existed, albeit with no posts, they were merged. If you want to have a broader discussion about the nature of stereotypes then I'd suggest using a more appropriate thread title.

    Additionally, upon actually reading the thread after I'd merged them, I saw that by your second, now deleted, post, you turned the thread into a discussion about other posters, not stereotypes and not Luke Cage. It's against this forum's rules to talk about or insult other posters, which is where the thread ended up. Discussing what you think others are feeling or threatened by...not allowed.

    Lastly, posters don't "own" threads. They belong to the forum, so implyng that I've stolen from you by merging threads and deleting inappropriate posts...I really don't know how to respond to that.

    Certainly, TripleX should feel free to start a new thread on the topic he wants to discuss as long as the discussion remains about the comics and not about other people. Though, frankly, based on experience with discussions of race on this forum, I'd predict that it won't end any better.
    Thanks for replying, I tried to PM you and couldn't. It's okay anyway, I posted my version of the thread on another site that welcomes discussions about race and comic book characters.

  3. #63
    Elder Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post


    What about this look? It's pretty cool.

    Dunno,the design of the character seems a bit off to me as well.
    Just read a few stories of that volume,but the first design of Luke Cage and the current one look way better that the look he had in that comic book during the 90`s.
    I remember i was reading Punisher back then,and in a storyline (Punisher v2#60 to 62),in which Luke Cage co-star with that look seemed like a completely different character visually speaking.
    The outfit was all right,just the face or hair looked off compared to the look of Luke Cage in his first comic books and the current look in New Avengers.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

  4. #64
    The Professional marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Where Giants Live.
    Posts
    21,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Dunno,the design of the character seems a bit off to me as well.
    Just read a few stories of that volume,but the first design of Luke Cage and the current one look way better that the look he had in that comic book during the 90`s.
    I remember i was reading Punisher back then,and in a storyline (Punisher v2#60 to 62),in which Luke Cage co-star with that look seemed like a completely different character visually speaking.
    The outfit was all right,just the face or hair looked off compared to the look of Luke Cage in his first comic books and the current look in New Avengers.
    He had a different haircut in this series which really gives him a different look. Going from afro to low fade to completely bald. It really does have a tremendous effect on his appearance.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

    CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

  5. #65
    Elder Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    He had a different haircut in this series which really gives him a different look. Going from afro to low fade to completely bald. It really does have a tremendous effect on his appearance.
    Yeah,Luke Cage completely different haircut in his ongoing from the 90`s did made the character look different from his original design.

    The current look of Luke Cage in New Avengers is the best now,and his original look from the 70`s is cool as well.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

  6. #66
    Elder Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,536

    Default

    Going to be cool to see how Luke Cage will lead the Thunderbolts team.

    Besides having being a solo super-hero,making a stellar duo of heroes with Iron Fist,and a relevant and important character to the New Avengers,Luke Cage will be a leader of the Thunderbolts as well.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

  7. #67
    Elder Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,536

    Default

    Kevin Walker got a cool re-design for Luke Cage i`d say.


    [IMG][/IMG]
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Kevin Walker got a cool re-design for Luke Cage i`d say.


    [IMG][/IMG]
    Yeah Luke looks great i like the regular clothes with a bit of Metal thrown in...it gives him a super heroic look.

    As for 90's Luke Cage..I collected the series and you guys are right his image just seemed a little "off" but by then I was starving for Cage so it had to do.

    Remember all those crazy covers in the 90's... embossed, silver, glowy.

    "Slick brother with a fade and a half moon" - Lord Finesse

  9. #69
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,681

    Default

    I wanted to update the classic look and this is what I came up with. It's still street clothes but it has more of a superhero vibe to it.

    Last edited by TripleX; 08-17-2010 at 01:51 PM.

  10. #70
    Veteran Member Hypestyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,674

    Default

    ^^^ cool..

  11. #71
    RIP Mastero (CBB) 4sake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    GA Atlanta/Branesville
    Posts
    6,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleX View Post
    I wanted to update the classic look and this is what I came up with. It's still street clothes but it has more of a superhero vibe to it. At the time I was a big Jodeci/Jagged Edge fan, now it's kinda played.
    Cool
    Last edited by 4sake; 05-25-2010 at 09:22 PM.
    Pull List : X-Men: Legacy T-Bolts Avengers Academy X-23 X-Factor New Avengers Jubilee U:X-Force Red Hood/Outlaws A:X-Men Static Gotham City Sirens Black Panther Suicide Squad Wolverine New Mutants

  12. #72
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ^^^ cool..
    'Preciate it bruh.

  13. #73

    Default

    Not a bad look at all.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

  14. #74
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Studying at the Iron Maiden School of Verbal Beatdowns
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleX View Post
    Thanks for replying, I tried to PM you and couldn't. It's okay anyway, I posted my version of the thread on another site that welcomes discussions about race and comic book characters.
    Any chance you could post a link? Because it DAMN sure ain't forums.comicbookresources.com.

  15. #75

    Default

    I'm pretty much I huge Luke Cage fan and I was aways wondering the what his power set truly was. I use to play this game when I was a kid called "Marvel Super Heroes" and back in the day Power-man had pretty good power set.
    F.A.S.E. (fighting, agility, strength & endurance) he had true invulnerability of IN (incredible) pretty much bullet proof can withstand rocket launcher fire.

    But this site keeps up with current stats and I feel they've done pretty good job updating Cage.

    http://www.angelfire.com/comics/benriely/lukecage.html

    Check it out... basically he's still physically powerful but the MAJOR improvement is that he has UN (unearthly) resistance to physical attacks. Which means he pretty much is (almost) impossible to hurt by physical means.
    (anything short of an enraged Hulk or Thor's hammer). But he still can be "slammed or stunned" by character's whose strength is higher than his endurance.

    Hey I know I'm a geek but I found this quantification of his power set very real as to how he's being written now...what do you guys think?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •