Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

exactly. that right there is the best Cage ever was and will ever be (to me).
    Agreed with one slight exception.

On the first issue of Heroes for Hire, they miscolored his shirt. It was colored yellow instead of white. That looked better, I thought. Otherwise, yeah, probably the best Cage has ever been.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Agreed with one slight exception.

On the first issue of Heroes for Hire, they miscolored his shirt. It was colored yellow instead of white. That looked better, I thought. Otherwise, yeah, probably the best Cage has ever been.
    it looked better in yellow, sure. but he had an ugly haircut in the first issue. i don't even know how to describe it; flat top with a white streak (for whatever reason).
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    I like the direction they're taking him too. Still in NA, leading the Thunderbolts but that is the best Cage. I'm still waiting on my Luke Cage:Super Soldier story. Let's make it happen Marvel.
    I know! He's been through hell in Dark Reign/Secret Invasion!
    TEAM TEEN JEAN 2013!!

*2,000,000th X-Books Forum post goes to...Yours truly Vivica Kang*

Quote Originally Posted by JZ040488 View Post
    I think that the people who don't like him because he's a stereotype are in no way shape or form "threatened" by him at all. He probably just feels like a generic character they've seen before who is not very orginal.
    That, and because he seems to be written as a white man's ideal version of an inner city black man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    Hmm....you're right! But she first went by Marvel Girl, and then Phoenix no?

Luke Cage was Luke Cage from the beginning....he just had a post tag of Hero For Hire...
    Pete Wisdom
    John Wraith
    Paulie

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It doesn't exactly help Cage that any of his more identifiable aspects and personality qwirks were pretty much done away with leaving him.

But ANYWAY ... appreciation.

I really enjoyed Cage's portrail in the Heroes for Hire book in the 90s. He kept his style and the stronger visual elements without just falling into bland clichedom and even revealed that he was pretty highly educated. Odd how that team felt more like the Avengers than any of the Avengers books Bendis has written.
    I agree with every single thing you said.

Another cool thing done with Cage in the 90's HFH series was that he brought the old movie theater where his headquarters and office were.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    I agree with every single thing you said.

Another cool thing done with Cage in the 90's HFH series was that he brought the old movie theater where his headquarters and office were.
    yeah, that was a nice nod to past continuity. but i was more a fan of the new not-yet-explored continuity. like what was up with the Master of the World and Luke's dad? this series was making Luke and Danny seem like much bigger players in the universe. they both had some shady connections to powerful figures; Iron Fist was supposedly aiding a takeover of Earth by dragon lords. and i wonder where the Strike Force 1 clones went.

Luke Cage can speak five languages, is well-versed in law and has worked for countries that paid him well. I know Cage is fluent in Japanese. What are the other four?

Bendis missed an opportunity to have Cage speak Japanese when the New Avengers went to Japan. I would love to have seen the look on those Hand Ninjas faces with Luke talking Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
    Luke Cage can speak five languages, is well-versed in law and has worked for countries that paid him well. I know Cage is fluent in Japanese. What are the other four?

Bendis missed an opportunity to have Cage speak Japanese when the New Avengers went to Japan. I would love to have seen the look on those Hand Ninjas faces with Luke talking Japanese.
    Where did he learn to speak Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Where did he learn to speak Japanese?
    probably from Colleen.

Did anyone else read the '90s Cage series? If so, what did you think?

I've read and re-read it, mostly due to the involvement of Dakota North and my attempts to catalog her appearances, but at the end of the day I ended up enjoying it. Not the best book by any means, and very representative of the times, but worth checking out if you're a Cage fan.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbib View Post

I've read and re-read it, mostly due to the involvement of Dakota North and my attempts to catalog her appearances, but at the end of the day I ended up enjoying it. Not the best book by any means, and very representative of the times, but worth checking out if you're a Cage fan.
    it was too 90s for me. and there were just a number of plot points i could have done without (the introduction of Luke's brother for instance). plus, while it was just a sign of the times, it was his worst costume period ever. the dude had anklets over his hammer pants.

good points were the attempt to make Cage more mainstream. he fought guys like Tombstone, the Rhino, Nitro, the Guardsmen, etc.

BANNED

I own it but I don't want to talk about it. It's filthy in here, it smells like prostitution.

I've got a few issues. Not bad, but not great. Still better than what they've done with the guy these days though.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

I have the entire short-lived run plus the annual. To me it was one of those books you just loved for the action. Sure, the characterization and in depth stuff wasn't there all the time. But it was one of those "make you feel good at the end" kind of books. And it had guest stars galore!
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.