Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Bruce Wayne bad parenting personified

Bruce Wayne aka Batman saves the youth that Gotham ends up destroying early in their respective childhoods. This seems like a good thing at first being adopted by a billionaire learning how to fight cleaning up gotham city. Yet this is quickly shown to be a lure so Bruce can become "the goddamn batman dad" on a daily basis just because he saved you. Even Dr Leslie Thompkins had to fake Stephanie's death to get her out of Bruce's warped world of costumed parenting.
    Here Jason Todd recounts how he wasn't good enough for Bruce and displays the complex hes developed by wanting to be better than him.

Of course once Bruce reels you in with lofty promises about a better way, he suddenly turns into a jerk ass in order to harden you but also to stunt your childhood. Pray you dont fail him either as here Oracle relates to Bruce how much of a jerk ass hes being to Cassie

Of Course Bruce being Bruce still scolds her for failing him even though she didn't really fail at all.

Of course I have to skip over the questionable way Bruce raised Dick because that in itself is questionable and canon now thanks to Morrison.
    We have to also look at the way Bruce seemingly favors Tim over all his other "children" because apparently Tim is just that special to him over everyone else. He can even talk back to Bruce.
    I guess this is why Tim is his favorite he chose the lifestyle while Dick,Jason,Cassie etc had to be "saved" which apparently is something Bruce doesn't respect.

More bad Bat parenting to come
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

The only one I call into question is that first one. Me, nor anyone else in history has ever read a story where Jason Todd was forced to wear black hair dye to look like Dick Grayson.

Just a note, the last one was a ruse Tim was involved in to trick Sleina into shenanigans.
    http://www.fightlockdown.com/
    Come visit us for mma related news and conversation

BANNED

See, this is why I never got into Cassandra Cain's Batgirl series. Kelly Puckett just distorts characters to fit the way she wants to tell her stories, and boost her character. Batman has had this type of problem all the time when saving people. Calling a protege a failure over it is out of character.

Jason IIRC was pre crisis when he had red hair and Bruce later "encouraged" him to be more independent which incidentally means be more like Dick.
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Jorriss View Post
    Just a note, the last one was a ruse Tim was involved in to trick Sleina into shenanigans.
    Thank you, I was just about to post the same thing. I think that exhibit C should removed.

Masked Bat-Mod RonnieThunderbolts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Jason IIRC was pre crisis when he had red hair and Bruce later "encouraged" him to be more independent which incidentally means be more like Dick.
    Bruce never falsely "encouraged" him to be more independent while trying to make him more like Dick, and even so it Bruce's encouragement in any area had nothing to do with his dying his hair. Dick Grayson offered Jason the mantle of Robin Pre-Crisis, and it was Jason's own idea to dye his hair black as to deceive Batman's rogues and criminals by appearing to be the original Robin.
    Last edited by RonnieThunderbolts; 05-16-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Masked Bat-Mod RonnieThunderbolts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    Thank you, I was just about to post the same thing. I think that exhibit C should removed.
    Yeah, the next few pages in that sequence you find out the back and forth with Tim was entirely staged, it doesn't show bad parenting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieThunderbolts View Post
    Bruce never "encouraged" him to be more independent by being more like Dick, and even so it had nothing to do with his dying his hair. Dick Grayson offered Jason the mantle of Robin Pre-Crisis, and it was Jason's own idea to dye his hair black.
    Ah yes I see
    Still its not a stretch to believe how Bruce could have influenced his decision to dye his hair.

Default hey

Good topic Nite-Wing, this should make for good discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieThunderbolts View Post
    Bruce never falsely "encouraged" him to be more independent while trying to make him more like Dick, and even so it Bruce's encouragement in any area had nothing to do with his dying his hair. Dick Grayson offered Jason the mantle of Robin Pre-Crisis, and it was Jason's own idea to dye his hair black as to deceive Batman's rogues and criminals by appearing to be the original Robin.
    I still say it was just Jason making up crap to make himself seem like more of a good guy to Scarlet.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Dick turned out ok

Quote Originally Posted by Sn4tcH View Post
    I still say it was just Jason making up crap to make himself seem like more of a good guy to Scarlet.
    Agreed.

The Testimony of Jason Todd holds no weight. If the OP wants to prove that Wayne is a "bat parent/mentor" he should post scans of Bruce actually doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Dick turned out ok
    This title reminds me when Wally was talking to Babs after she break up with him. She told him "shouldnt you be talking to him? he is your friend" And he goes "He would ask me to check if you are ok. Besides he haves Batman to help him trough his feelings" I cracked at that part xD

So did Babs

Of course Batman is a bad parent. Childs should be at bed at 10 o clock

BANNED

I think Bruce is a fine father-figure. Through the Dark Age, he became a lot colder, especially with the older members of the Bat-Family, but I don't think he's ever been portrayed as a bad parent. Everything he does, he does to protect his family. God, if anything, I would say Batman personifies good parenting. He involves his children in his life, loves them to the absolute degree, and would risk his life for any one of them in a second.

Besides, Dick came out the finest superhero of his generation. Jason's case is abnormal because he got beaten to death by an insane clown and got brought back to life feeling betrayed (how could he not come out fucked up?). That's not on Bruce. And Tim? Tim is the model son. Granted, Bruce wasn't his only "parent", but he still had a greatly positive effect on the kid's life. Never mind Cassandra Cain. Bruce has done a lot for her, but Cassandra's lineage and upbringing required that he deal with her from the point of view of a warrior (as Batman). He was a more of a martial figure in her life than a paternal one, even if he does consider her his daughter.

Bruce is a great dad.