Page 3 of 283 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Señor Jykxopykle Daiyoukai Ramza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    <snip>

Frankly, I'm more concerned that ya'll seem to be going for the psychokinetics. oO
    To be fair, the psychokinetic-type powers typically have more variation, and they tend to me more... fun, I guess.

Most of my power ideas are psychokinetic in nature, but I do have a few telepathic ones. Okay, I have one idea that's telepathic, which is exactly one more idea than I have for clairvoyance.

Now to mull over this for a while longer.

*assumes the Gendo posture*
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Admiration is the furthest thing from understanding.

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Won the internet twice (and destroyed it once). 1 2

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Bah. You should be much more worried that they're all being lazy and just grabbing general 'kinesis' instead of interestingly restricted powers.
    Bah! I'll get back to creativity when finals week is over.
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    thought that was the idea,.
    Maybe I wasn't clear, but you can pretty much have any power you can think of.* It doesn't neccesarily have to be a traditional "psychic" power.

*Barring the banned ones I mentioned in the OP.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Bah. You should be much more worried that they're all being lazy and just grabbing general 'kinesis' instead of interestingly restricted powers.
    Bah, I expected everyone to immediately leap to pyrokinesis.

Updated...sorta. Mainly got the esper power down.
    Quote of the Month
    “Did you know that YuruYuri isn't a manga about explosions?! If it were, it would be a school life manga, but better!”
    - Nana Nishigaki, YuruYuri

Character Creation:
    NAME: The full name of your character.
    Bret Callahan
    F
    AGE: How old your character is. Should be between 13 and 19 years of age.
    NATIONALITY: Where your character is from.
    America
    WEAPON DISCIPLIN:
    Coming Soon.
    APPEARANCE:

CHARACTER HISTORY & PERSONALITY: A basic description of your character's past and his or her more prominent character traits.
    A normal girl for most of her life. Nothing unusual. She was just there. Bret always felt she was meant to be more. To be a part of something bigger then the rest of the people. More than once she has even joked about become a super villain. She finally got her chance when her power first manifested. It happened when her alarm clock woke her up. An transparent arm shot out of her and smashed the clock. Bret freaked out and tried to tell her parents what happened but all they got from it was that she had smashed it. Bret bought it and started to think she had just imagined the arm until later that same day in school when the arm broke her pencil. She asked if any of the other student's saw it. No one did. Bret ate alone that day as she tried to puzzle this out. She considred going to the nurse but didn't want to hurt her. After walking away from the other student's, she tried to call it up to show to everyone. It appeared for a few seconds before disappearing. Annoyed, Bret tried again. Nothing. Over the course of several weeks to struggled to gain control with varying results. After a year of just trying to call it up at will, she was able to do so. Still no one could see it. Bret did figure out that she was now extraordinary just like she always wanted. She had a superpower. It still manifested on it's own on occasion, but it happened less now. As she watched TV she tried to figure out what to do with it. Coming to the conclusion she was too young to go out and fight crime or to be a super villain, she decided it was best to keep it a secret. Another year went by and she had gained better control over it. When her family was contacted by the Zener Institute about her power, Bret jumped at the chance and begged her parents to let her go. They discussed it for over an hour and the matter was settled when Bret showed her power by smashing an apple. Finally understanding that their did have a power, her parents talked about it and they decided to let her go.
    Before going Bret flipped a coin to decide whether she would be a Super Villain or a Superhero after she was done at the institute. It landed on Heads. Super Villain.

Personality: While smart, she has a tendency to be a bit of a ditz and has a habit of occasionally looking at things in terms of comic books and varying genres. Bret loves having a superpower and is really interested in developing it.
    CHARACTER SONG (Optional): Music you associate with the character.
    The World is Mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nv6baJtIeg
    PERSONAL SKILL:
    Dancing
    PHYSICAL STATS:
    Brawn: Concerns strength, endurance, durability and similar physical aspects. 1
    Agility: Concerns dodging skills, acrobatics, reflexes and reaction time, etc. 1
    Skill: Concerns fighting abilities and personal skills. 2
    Perception: Concerns attention to detail, noticing the small things and being aware of ones surroundings. 1

ESPER ABILITY:
    When describing your chosen power, please be as specific as possible: I will want to know the ability, its effect, and preferably the mechanics behind the effect.
    Invisible Psychic Arms
    Psychic Arms created by her mind and given something of a physical form. As of right now she can only make one. To Bret it is simply transparent, to others it is invisible. She generally uses it to smash things and has trouble holding on to things without crushing them. It has decent range and power but can only manifest for a short time.
    ESPER STATS:

Power: Generally indicates the scale the power works on.
    Skill: Generally indicates the quantities of effects the esper can manifest and/or the degree of fine control he or she has of her power. 2
    Range: The effective range of the power. This is the only esper stat it is possible to have 0 points in, in which case the power only works on direct physical contact. 3
    Speed: Generally indicates how fast the power can be activated, the speed of which it can be carried out, and/or how long its effect lasts. 3
    Last edited by Guy1; 05-08-2010 at 11:04 PM.
    Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

As I mention I have chosen Geokinisis. Is this ok?
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

How's my power Ghost?
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    As I mention I have chosen Geokinisis. Is this ok?
    Heroes style Terrakinesis Or Earthbending style?
    http://heroeswiki.com/Terrakinesis
    http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Earthbending
    Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

Quote Originally Posted by Daiyoukai Ramza View Post
    To be fair, the psychokinetic-type powers typically have more variation, and they tend to me more... fun, I guess.
    Don't get too hung up on the definitions. "Psychokinisis" must means the power directly effects the physical world in some manner. In fact, the whole "three classes" system is just an in-game thing, and has nothing to do with the game mechanics.

Anyway, if all of you want to for that kind of power, I won't exactly stop you. But, fair warning, overspecializing purely in combat-oriented powers may not be in your best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    ESPER ABILITY: Photokinesis. Can manipulate light to a variety of effects: Creating optical illusions, blinding flashes of light, and even lazers. Can consciously increase or decrease the light in an area, causing darkness or brightness as needed. Can render objects "invisible" or "distorted" by bending light around them.
    No, you totally can't. Not with those stats.

Besides, these are far too many abilities. You get one, remember? Narrow it down.

So is my selection alright?
    Be more precise. What do you mean by "geokenisis" exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    ESPER ABILITY;
    Name: "DESTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK"
    Category: Psychokinetic
    Description: A dual-purpose ability in which encompasses both offense and defense, Destructive Feedback takes the form of a surrounding barrier that absorbs outside energy. Once absorbed, this energy, along with the psychic energy that was used to create the barrier, can be converted into a projectile beam of energy. This barrier cannot usually been seen by the naked eye, with the exceptions of when it absorbs and energy and when fired.

Requirements and Weaknesses:
    - While it can absorb energy such as the kinetic energy of moving objects, the results tend to be much weaker compared to when it absorbs "pure" energy, such as electricity or psychic energy.
    - Obviously, should an outside energy source be too great for the absorbing barrier, it will shatter.
    -In its initial state, the barrier can only cover one side (front, back, and each side) at a time, and must be actively placed up with each usage.

ESPER STATS;
    Power: 3
    Skill: 2
    Range: 2
    Speed: 3
    Niiiiice! I like it.
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

For weapon discipline can I use an unarmed fighting style instead?

Don't get too hung up on the definitions. "Psychokinisis" must means the power directly effects the physical world in some manner. In fact, the whole "three classes" system is just an in-game thing, and has nothing to do with the game mechanics.

Anyway, if all of you want to for that kind of power, I won't exactly stop you. But, fair warning, overspecializing purely in combat-oriented powers may not be in your best interest.

No, you totally can't. Not with those stats.

Besides, these are far too many abilities. You get one, remember? Narrow it down.

Be more precise. What do you mean by "geokenisis" exactly?

Niiiiice! I like it.
    Think of earthbending from Avatar
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Boukinator View Post
    For weapon discipline can I use an unarmed fighting style instead?
    You really, really don't want to do that.

Think of earthbending from Avatar
    So, basically a form of mineral-specific telekinisis?

Sounds alright, I guess.
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck

Well, I desperately need sleep now, so I'll get back to this in a few hours.

I advice you guys to spend that time contemplating your powers of choice. Remember, there's plenty of time, so you don't have to make up your minds right away.
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck

Damn, was hoping to create an older character this time.

Welcome to the sign up thread of my RPG, Esper Shift. While I am aware that the set-up may appear very sci-fi, it will for the most part be a fantasy story. Though this is my first time GMing an RPG on a forum, I hope those of you who decide to join up as players will enjoy it. As I lack experience, I may play it a bit by ear starting off, but I hope this won't be noticeable.

Great thanks to Siriel for helping me with the technical stuff. As per his recommendation, this thread will remain up for a while before the actual game starts, so you can take your time with your characters.

A caveat, however: For plot-related reasons it may not be possible to join the game after a certain point.

The Story So Far:

The research of psychic powers -the superhuman abilities exhibited by certain exceptional individuals- were long considered nothing more then questionable pseudoscience. Telepathy, psychokinesis, clairvoyance; for the longest time these things remained unconfirmed hearsay and the stuff of fiction and fantasy.

However, in recent years the existence of psionic abilities have become accepted as reality thanks to the efforts of dedicated researchers. Foremost of them are Joseph Zener, a brilliant visionary who's work helped elevate parapsychology into an accepted field within the scientific community by proving the existence of abilities beyond those of normal humans. Those born with these abilities became known as ”espers.”

With the existence of the espers confirmed, the UN formed a research agency with the goal of increasing understanding of these abilities for the betterment of mankind. This enterprise, led by Zener himself, would become known as the Abraxas Project. The final stage of the project was the founding of the Zener Institute; a combined school and research facility located on an obscure Asian island.

As a candidate of this program, you have joined the Institute in hopes of learning more about the mysterious power you were born with. After much testing and training, you have gained a degree of understanding and control of your ability and has shown the potential to advance to the next level. In recognition of your talent, you have now been hand-picked to join the top students of the Institute in the Advanced Class, where you will receive further instruction.

NPC

These are the non-player characters your characters will interact with at the beginning of the game. Many more NPC will appear as you advance along the storyline.

Joseph Banks Zener: Founder of the Zener Institute and head of Project Abraxas. Most likely the world's greatest authority on espers and esper powers.

Tyler Jackson: A senior esper employed by the Institute. He has the power of cryokinesis, allowing him to drastically lower the temperature of an area, freezing it. He is in charge of the psychokinetic and martial arts training of the advanced class.

Catherine Silva: A senior esper employed by the Institute. She has the power of psychometry, allowing her to gain information about people and objects via touch. She is in charge of telepathic and clairvoyance training, and also the chief counselor of the Institute.

Character Creation:

Please fill out the following character sheet:

NAME: The full name of your character.

AGE: How old your character is. Should be between 13 and 19 years of age.

NATIONALITY: Where your character is from.

WEAPON DISCIPLIN: The weapon style your character has specialized in. Since dedicated martial arts training is known to improve esper powers to a degree, your character will have been trained in a weapon-based fighting style as part of the project. (Assuming he or she was not a martial artist to begin with, that is.) This can by any kind of weapon that isn't a firearm. Note, however, that the Zener Institute does not allow personally owned weapons, so your character won't have brought any along.

APPEARANCE: What your character looks like. Pictures are welcome, but written detailed descriptions are encouraged.

CHARACTER HISTORY & PERSONALITY: A basic description of your character's past and his or her more prominent character traits.

CHARACTER SONG (Optional): Music you associate with the character.

PERSONAL SKILL: Here you may chose one minor skill your character has. Nothing extraordinary – basically just an everyday talent which he or she happens to be good at. Cooking, drawing, singing, etc.

PHYSICAL STATS: Stats that determine the physical and mental abilities of your character unrelated to his or her esper power. You have 5 points to distribute between these stats.

Brawn: Concerns strength, endurance, durability and similar physical aspects.
    Agility: Concerns dodging skills, acrobatics, reflexes and reaction time, etc.
    Skill: Concerns fighting abilities and personal skills.
    Perception: Concerns attention to detail, noticing the small things and being aware of ones surroundings.

ESPER ABILITY: This is the psionic power your character is born with. While the Zener Institute classifies esper powers in three rough categories: Telepathy, Psychokinetics and Clairvoyance, this is mostly out of convenience. In reality, each power is unique to the esper, and can take almost any form – even if two Espers have similar powers, they will almost always differ in some way.

When describing your chosen power, please be as specific as possible: I will want to know the ability, its effect, and preferably the mechanics behind the effect.

Observe that a few powers will be banned for plot-related reasons, either because I've already given them to important NPC or because I believe they might break the game. If you pick one of these powers, I will let you know. Also, as GM I reserve the liberty to impose restrictions to your powers or suggest alternatives.

ESPER STATS: Stats that determine the properties of your character's esper power. Note that since the exact nature of esper powers can very greatly, the stats may mean different things depending on the power. We will decide this on a case by case basis as required. You have 10 points to distribute between these stats, but note that you must have at least one point in everything except Range.

Power: Generally indicates the scale the power works on.
    Skill: Generally indicates the quantities of effects the esper can manifest and/or the degree of fine control he or she has of her power.
    Range: The effective range of the power. This is the only esper stat it is possible to have 0 points in, in which case the power only works on direct physical contact.
    Speed: Generally indicates how fast the power can be activated, the speed of which it can be carried out, and/or how long its effect lasts.
    I'm curious about several things:

1. Would body reading be a wasted personal skill given the perception stat?

2. Brawn covers both stamina and strength. If, for example we want a character that's fast and has stamina, but isn't particularly strong, do we simply specify that below our stats or what?

3. Please give more detail about range. How much do I need for a power that only can extend a couple of inches? 10 metres?

4. I'm not sure about power 'speed' at all. How long would it take for a person with 0 speed to activate his ability?