Page 5 of 283 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WyldCard4 View Post
    Um...

I was trying for a fighting style that fit well with low tech+teleportation...

Sorry?
    Don't worry about it. lol.

I briefly considered switching to chainsaws, but that'd be so out of keeping with my character.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX2000 View Post
    Don't worry about it. lol.

I briefly considered switching to chainsaws, but that'd be so out of keeping with my character.
    In case you haven't noticed, a chain saw would be a really bad idea when we're heading off to a fantasy world later in the RPG.

I considered Juni style explosives myself, but the low tech nature of the future RPG turned me off such tricks.

Why not?

And perhaps brass knuckles?

It doesn't help most weapons aren't meant to survive in her grip.
    Scribble the Leviathan, Scrawl the Elder Air Elemental, Scroll the Ifriti King, Sketch the Dryad Queen, Sign the Titan

Awesome Award

See here guys:
    Fixed. Switched to knife fighting.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell's Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell's Brigade View Post
    NAME: Edan Ganymede

NATIONALITY: Minnesota, U.S.A.

WEAPON DISCIPLIN: Bo-Staff and other such staff like implements.

APPEARANCE: Forthcoming.

CHARACTER HISTORY & PERSONALITY: A calm, strong man. Edan is generally kind once you get passed his more quiet, darker, nature.

He came from a small, hard working family from Minnesota. As of this moment, he is the last of his family after his parents passed away a few years ago. At 19, he already holds an AA degree and is working, whenever he can, on his BA.

CHARACTER SONG (Optional):

PERSONAL SKILL: Edan is quite skilled in slight of hand and the hiding of objecst about his person.

PHYSICAL STATS: Stats that determine the physical and mental abilities of your character unrelated to his or her esper power. You have 5 points to distribute between these stats.

Brawn: 1
    Agility: 1
    Skill: 1
    Perception: 2

ESPER ABILITY: This is the psionic power your character is born with. While the Zener Institute classifies esper powers in three rough categories: Telepathy, Psychokinetics and Clairvoyance, this is mostly out of convenience. In reality, each power is unique to the esper, and can take almost any form – even if two Espers have similar powers, they will almost always differ in some way.

When describing your chosen power, please be as specific as possible: I will want to know the ability, its effect, and preferably the mechanics behind the effect.

Observe that a few powers will be banned for plot-related reasons, either because I've already given them to important NPC or because I believe they might break the game. If you pick one of these powers, I will let you know. Also, as GM I reserve the liberty to impose restrictions to your powers or suggest alternatives.

ESPER STATS: Stats that determine the properties of your character's esper power. Note that since the exact nature of esper powers can very greatly, the stats may mean different things depending on the power. We will decide this on a case by case basis as required. You have 10 points to distribute between these stats, but note that you must have at least one point in everything except Range.

Power: Generally indicates the scale the power works on.
    Skill: Generally indicates the quantities of effects the esper can manifest and/or the degree of fine control he or she has of her power.
    Range: The effective range of the power. This is the only esper stat it is possible to have 0 points in, in which case the power only works on direct physical contact.
    Speed: Generally indicates how fast the power can be activated, the speed of which it can be carried out, and/or how long its effect lasts.

Placeholder for now.
    Alright, I'm almost finished.
    Black Knight of SO
    Co-COTM for Feb 2006
    The Midnight Rider.
    Owner of SO's W/I Shop.
    Bearer of the Rumbles Matrix of Leadership

Wins on CBR

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    WEAPON DISCIPLINE: Electric Baton
    That would be normal baton, by the way. It's not like you'd be allowed to electrocute your fellow studends during sparring.

People are built differently. A long distance runner isn't physically the same as somebody who can bodyslam 150kg, yet according to your stat system they'd both have identical 'brawn'.
    Pretty much. I admit it's not the most realistic system, but it's not the most realistic RPG either. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Boukinator View Post
    ESPER ABILITY: THC-nesis: While high Demian enters a state of hyper awareness, His 5 senses increase quite drastically and give Demian a greater ability to "read a situation" which works sort of like knowing the future before it happens, but it is only a half a second ahead of actual time.
    ...Wait, let me get this straight. You actually want a character who's power is a form of precognition that only works while he's on drugs? Oo

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Updated. This all right?
    It looks fine, but I'd like to add a limitation to your power: It only seems to work on non-living matter.

You okay with that?

Quote Originally Posted by WyldCard4 View Post
    So, how is my Esper?

I was trying for a power that could be used in a lot of different ways, but was very clearly only one power.

Power inspiration comes from my repeated use of item rips in the Rumblers League 3.

Character comes from a couple different sources.
    It looks okay so far. Interesting choice of power.

Quote Originally Posted by God_of_Awesome View Post
    WEAPON DISCIPLINE: Mixed Martial Arts
    You really should pick a weapon.

It's kind of important.

Screw you. Screw you so hard for using throwing knives, which I'd put into my character but hadn't posted yet.
    Actually, there is no reason you can't have the same weapon as someone else. It's not like the Institute would have any reason to enforce that kind of limitiation.

I can't really say I recommend weapons that rely on sets of multiple objects, though. >>

Quote Originally Posted by God_of_Awesome View Post
    Why not?
    Because it's a fantasy RPG. You'll be going up against people armed with swords, axes, spears twice as long as a man! That's why I went out of my way to create an excuse for why your characters would be trained to use melee weapons in the first place.

Plus, some parts of the plot kinda assumes you are going to be armed with something.

And perhaps brass knuckles?

It doesn't help most weapons aren't meant to survive in her grip.
    Don't worry about the small details. You really think I haven't considered stuff like that?

Anyway, your martial arts training doesn't have to be related to your powers. In fact, most likely your characters will have been trained to fight without using their powers at all.
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-09-2010 at 06:05 AM.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    That would be normal baton, by the way. It's not like you'd be allowed to electrocute your fellow studends during sparring.
    Ah, gotcha. I'll change it up with my next update.

Hm, now that I think of it, perhaps I should go with escrima sticks instead?
    Quote of the Month
    “Did you know that YuruYuri isn't a manga about explosions?! If it were, it would be a school life manga, but better!”
    - Nana Nishigaki, YuruYuri

Pretty much. I admit it's not the most realistic system, but it's not the most realistic RPG either. ^^
    Thus why I was asking if it was possible to place emphasis on certain aspects of brawn over others in the bio, or if a 6'9 muscle-bound body builder is really going to have to be RPed as if he has the same strength and stamina as a 5'6 ultra fit bushman.

It's actually not particularly important for my character, but it could well be for others.

I'll probably be putting mine up in a couple of hours.

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Darn it, I was thinking about using steel gauntlets for a fighting style.

Combined with the power I had in mind, it should be somewhat useful against weapons.....
    Starlancer Flight: Morgan Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    So how does each stat point work? Like 1-2 is average, 3 is above that and so on?
    Yeah, sorry for not specifying this. I'll be adding a detailed list later, but for now, assume 1 is average, 2 is slightly above average, and 3 is above average.

Thus why I was asking if it was possible to place emphasis on certain aspects of brawn over others in the bio, or if a 6'9 muscle-bound body builder is really going to have to be RPed as if he has the same strength and stamina as a 5'6 ultra fit bushman.
    Sure, I guess, if you absolutely want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Torment View Post
    Darn it, I was thinking about using steel gauntlets for a fighting style.

Combined with the power I had in mind, it should be somewhat useful against weapons.....
    I don't see what the problem would be with that.

All I'm trying to say is, yous guys aren't being trained to be super heroes or anything. As far as the Institute is concerned, the weapon fighting is just a complimentary excercise meant to improve focus and physical health, not something you are meant to factor into how you use your powers.

Which of course doesn't mean you can't have a weapon that matches your power, it just isn't really the point.
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-09-2010 at 07:02 AM.
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Is Psionic Armor a good power to work with?

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Is Psionic Armor a good power to work with?
    That depends on what exactly a psionic armor is.
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

I don't see what the problem would be with that.

All I'm trying to say is, yous guys aren't being trained to be super heroes or anything. As far as the Institute is concerned, the weapon fighting is just a complimentary excercise meant to improve focus and physical health, not something you are meant to factor into how you use your powers.

Which of course doesn't mean you can't have a weapon that matches your power, it just isn't really the point.
    Okay. Having a weapon that matches your power would kind of help, though.

Also, this might be the first time I'll ever play somebody with no mental illnesses.
    Starlancer Flight: Morgan Valentine

That depends on what exactly a psionic armor is.
    Like, all the psychic power goes toward a layer of dense armor, no other special features or anything. Just really dense protective power.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Torment View Post
    Okay. Having a weapon that matches your power would kind of help, though.
    Sure! Just, you know, try to assume your character actually can fight okay with it without using the power.

Also, this might be the first time I'll ever play somebody with no mental illnesses.
    That's nice. ^^
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck