Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by therealmccoy View Post
    I would definitely be interested in another Lobdell X-Men project. Getting all nostalgic for early 90's X-men right now.

I think AOA would work. Would love to see that 10th anniversary AOA crap undone. Would be interested to find out more about the AOA team. Or alternatively he could go and start from he left off uncanny x-men 350.

If I remember correctly he left due to issues with bob harras, i think the final straw was the rogue and x-men leaving gambit to die in antartica. I remember there was an interview in wizard about it. I think after CC he has the longest x-men run. For a period there he was writing loads of X titles - Uncanny, XMen, Excalibur, Generation X and even a few issues of X-Factor I think.
    I thought he came back to do Eve of Destruction and that camping issue with Cyclops and Corsair. Too bad about the Gambit thing because Rogue leaving him in Antarctica was one of the best scenes he ever wrote.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    I thought he came back to do Eve of Destruction and that camping issue with Cyclops and Corsair. Too bad about the Gambit thing because Rogue leaving him in Antarctica was one of the best scenes he ever wrote.
    He also killed Colossus. I guess he wasn't a fan of Peter returning to the X-Men after his siding with Magneto during "Fatal Attractions". My one complaint about Lobdell is his original character creations left a lot to be desired.

Yeah he came back for eve of destruction and to tie up a few loose ends like the legacy virus etc to make way for Grant Morrisson. I thought Ceceila was a great character he created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by therealmccoy View Post
    Yeah he came back for eve of destruction and to tie up a few loose ends like the legacy virus etc to make way for Grant Morrisson. I thought Ceceila was a great character he created.
    Cece was OK. Marrow was his best creation. Maggott, Joseph, Wraith, and Sunpyre were not so good. Although, I do have a special fondness for Omerta.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    Didn't Seagle write that ending?

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    Didn't Seagle write that ending?
    Part of it

Talking

Well why the hell not! I love me some Lobdull! I'd buy it!!!! ^^

I'd kill kittens for this series or a Generation X Forever series!

Come back home Mr. Lobdell!

Vincente & Mondo need you! Husk, Vincente, Morph, Blink, Sabes and his S&M boyfriend Kyle, Dazz and Paris, & Storm and Quicksilver!

Colossus could be black hearted evil!
    The D - Legion
    Vincente - Mondo -Risque - Scaleface - Kid Omega - Skids - The Neophyte - Flex

X-Poster of the Year 2008
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

Default Part one

Wow! Four pages?! You guys rock!

First, thanks to everyone for sharing! (Yes, even those who say I suck! LOL! Even you took the time to post!)

I'll try to respond to everyone (though, keep in mind, I'm not delusional, thinking you were addressing me or even waiting for a response) but if I don't its probably because you said something to the effect of "atta boy" or because you were ragging on another creator.

So, here goes!

DARKNESS
    Me too! I hadn't really given it much thought until I was on a podcast with Bob Layton and he mentioned he and Micheline were doing IRON MAN FOREVER and I thought "Wow! I would love to go in and get my hands dirty telling stories or going in different directions that I couldn't or didn't at the time!" It must have been mulling around in my head when he asked!

SLANT
    Hey, a fun story is a fun story, no? (And by fun I mean daring, exciting, adventurous, dramatic, revelatory...!) Just because you might not have enjoyed one take on a story doesn't mean you won't enjoy another.

JUSTIN
    Who's to say the next A in AOA couldn't even be MORE Apocalyptical?!

SENTY
    Didn't follow that, sorry. Maybe it is a DC thing.

TEDDY
    If Lil' Charlie does come back, I would not let anyone with a name like TEDDYEATSYOURFACE do any babysitting!

HAVOK
    Either or?! LOL

CHRISSSTOPHER
    And I miss you! Well, cyberly!

LEIRUS
    Ah, so many stories to tell! The twins origin (it was actually buried in the first lines of dialogue in M's first appearance in Phalanx Covenant!), the real reason why Penance never spoke to anyone and the origin of her name (given to her by Gateway!), Husk dealing with being kicked out of Xaviers, Skin getting Generation X involved with hi pre-team problems, just how much different Mondo was than the Krakatoa-based Mondo, what happens when Synch secretly got addicted to Emma's powers and what she did when she found out...!

IN-SYNCH
    Did I forget to mention Shiro?! How humiliating! Shiro was one of my favorites!

I remember when Joe and Bob and Fabian and the rest of us went out to lunch at a nearby diner to decide who was using which characters in AOA. Fabe eagerly grabbed Storm and Wolverine and I forget who else, and I was like "I want Sabretooth. Ad Blink. And Morph. And Sunfire." Fabe was laughing "Knock yourself out, Tiger. Morph and Sunfire." I was like "Yeah, but he'll be a sunfire who went atomic and pretty much burnt out his entire body!" Joe was already sketching and totally got where we wanted to go with this alternate reality. Bob gently suggested I might want to use an A-lister, like, say Sabretooth. I wasn't that interested until suddenly I was like "Okay! But only if he has Wild Child strapped to his arm on a chain! He lets WILD CHILD go ape on people and then when he's done he slams him into the wall and throws Kyle over his shoulder." Ummm... okay. I know Fabe was eagerly awaiting the sales charts where his book would trounce by "B-listers!"

p.s. Fabian and are as thick as thieves now! But when we we working we had a mostly healthy competition between us!

NICOCLAWS
    Did you ever read how I originally wanted to "end" OZT? I had grown horribly bored with the uber-advanced X-MEN Universe: the one with the holographic danger room and the Shi'ar Come-Back-From-The-Dead healing technology and the Blackbird and the pretty much anything you want and it is there for you world that had been created over the years. (In my defense, I think I might have used the holographic danger room maybe once? I always hate stories that open up with Kitty Pryde killing all the X-MEN with a butterknife and then on page five GASP! it is just the Danger Room! Or it is just a Dream! Or it is just Emma Frost!)

Also, I had grown tired of the Xavier/Magneto bi-polarity driving so many of the stories... so that is why I created Bastion, as sort of a guy who could be part of a triangle -- someone who was as dedicated to protecting humanity as they were about protecting mutantdom.

The idea was to strip the X-MEN of everything (the mansion, the blackbird, the technology, even "the team" itself) and send them on the road, tracked by an unrelenting adversary who could hide among them even as they could hide among the humans!

The original ending was to have Bastion being carted away by SHIELD and brought to the helicarrier as ICEMAN, CECILIA, MARROW and SABRA watched... and just as he got there, Magneto would appear and say "Enough!" and use his magnetic powers to tear the helicarrier in half -- his declaration of war between mutants and the humans and government that would (and just had) sought to imprison or kill mutants.

That's where my head was at at the time: move forward, break-up the status quo, look at the idea behind the X-MEN and the team and team members with a fresh set of eyes! Woohoo! But, alas, the Powers That Be at the time really wanted to bring the team back to the late 70s, early 80s. Before my seat had even cooled down they had rushed Kitty, Kurt and Colossus back into the book... which gives you a good indication of how far apart we were on direction at the time.

That's the fun part about doing a OZT FOREVER... would be not to worry about continuity and just tell a balls out story about the war between Mutants and Humans with a severely depowered and on the run X-MEN caught in the middle! (I can't be alone in thinking that is awesome!)

AGENT TORPER
    How mean you are! LOL!

The truth about comedy is, well, a lot if it depends on your sense of humor. 30 ROCK, OFFICE, AUSTIN POWERS, the AIRPLANE movies... all very funny, but all of them exist in their own universes (imagine if everyone on OFFICE started talking like everyone from AIRPLANE with all the recurring sight gags and all. Cleepy!)

When you are doing or writing the comedy you have to find your POV and write from there. Did I think it was funny that Sasquatch couldn't find anyone to join his new team (except for Major Mappleleaf, who is the only guy who actually sought him out!) and that he then had to go back and kidnap and bribe and intimidate and cheat them into joining Alpha Flight? Yes, I genuinely thought a] it was funny and b] I had never seen it done before which made it fun to write!

I'm sorry that you didn't find it funny, but I can't really apologize for it. I did what made me laugh. (It is like the AUSTIN POWERS movies. I laughed til I cried during the first one and thought the second two were Laugh Free Zones. Not only did I not think they were funny I was shaking my head trying to figure out exactly what the filmmakers thought was funny when they were shooting. That said, I totally understand that there were a lot of people that thought those sequels were even funnier than the original. I just wasn't one of those people.)

Default Part Two

MARVEL2100
    Interesting idea, starting earlier in the series. And while I think it would be fun to develop some storylines and origins through flashback, I think I'd be more interest in telling stories "in the moment" with the team as we met them in AOA.

Why I left? I never wanted to be one of those creators who had to be dragged from the keyboard shouting "They're mine! All mine, you fools!" I had had my fun working these characters for, what, six years at the time? Seven? As I was being discouraged from shaking up the membership and status quo at the time -- and because I was so looking forward to exploring the rest of the Marvel Universe through the Fantastic Four, I just figured it was time to move on!

THIS ASIDE JUST POPPED INTO MY HEAD -- Yeah, I know Grant was able to come in years later and toss a few grenades around and totally change up the status quo... but that wasn't the environment when I was there. The Powers That Be wanted Storm in every issue, and Kitty and Colossus and Kurt and same and same and same. Don't get me wrong, I loved all those characters -- always have and always will -- but I think the X-MEN always work best when they are about change. And I don't think you can change the X-MEN by always using the same characters for 30 plus years without major changes. ASIDE ENDED

EURAZN
    Fanwank?! LOL! I love that term!

I remember when I used to hang out around Marvel trying to get freelance work in the earliest days of my career. I was such a presence (and apparently an annoying one at the time) that Mark Gruenwald coined the phrase "Freelurker!" I was so honored!

NICKFURY
    Cards and letters, Kids! Cards and letters! LOL!

OPTIC RAGE!
    Could you imagine?!?! Though honestly, Chris is so huge now, what would he want with me?

Have you ever heard the Chris Bachalo Knees Story?! I was in the earliest days of trying to talk Chris into doing Generation X with me (a process that took months! LOL!) when he told me he couldn't draw like Jim Lee. I told him there were many people around who drew like Jim Lee and I wasn't interested in any of them -- I wanted him to draw like Chris Bachalo -- I wanted him to bring all his awesome Chris Bachalo-ness to the X-Men universe! Exasperated that I didn't understand exactly what that meant, Chris explains how in an issue of SHADE (I think it was) there had been a scene where two characters had this heart to heart discussion on a front stoop and he had drawn two pages of their knees -- using only their knees to convey physically what the balloons were explaining in dialogue. He explained that was the type of thing he found interesting. I vowed, "Chris, if you ever give me two pages of knees, I will write for two pages of knees!" When you look at some of the GENERATION X stuff where he randomly decided to draw elves and goblins into the margins of the Halloween story, or the time he drew six pages of pink bubbles into an opening action sequence plane crash, I think it is clear that I just went with whatever Chris tossed back at me at the time!

Man that was fun. If we ever got back together it would be so... so Beatlely!

(I just remembered. There was one disagreement we had once that I cant think of: In the scene where Angelo was waiting for the bus? Chris had broken down the two pages and sent along dialogue and caption ideas on how to make it work... explaining what Angelo was feeling and who the old woman was, etc... I told him they were all great ideas, but that he had conveyed so much without any dialogue at all that I was going to leave the two pages blank and let the readers fill in the blanks with their own heads. I think it was about a month after it came out that we were talking and he said I was right, that it was way more awesome that way.

HAVOK
    Kind of a good point. But still, it would be so fun!

SCRITE
    me too!

NEWMUTANT
    You edict-tosser you! LOL! But I am willing to compromise! LOL

NICKFURY
    On tropes... I tried, over the years, to always try to weed out one trope and maybe examine the IDEA behind the trope from a different angle.

The Morlocks became Gene Nation, ugly mutants who were not going to live in the sewers.
    Magneto as leader of the mutants looking for unity was replaced by Exodus (to not very good effect, I fear).
    The Brotherhood was replaced by the Acoyletes and the Hellfire Club replaced by the Upstarts (though I didn't create either).
    The Friends of Humanity was a way to move away from Stryker and Senator Kelly.
    The Phalanx was a new way to do the Sentinels...
    ... and later the Prime Sentinels were a way to make the Sentinels more effective by being the enemy/watchdog beside us instead of these towering six story building sized robots who seemed to always get their hands blown off!

Again, not everything was executed to total awesomeness... but there was an awareness at the time to not keep going back to the same well with each story.

BRONZE
    Aww, thank you. I don't know how true it is, but it is a nice thought!

MATTHEW
    If I ever got the chance to do X-MEN stories I would want them to be OFF-T0-THE-SIDE stories: An AOA FOREVER or a GENERATION X ORIENTATION WEEK that exists between the end of the Phalanx Covenant and the first page of Gen X 1 (where Banshee has to explain to Blink's parents how she died, and Emma, still smarting over the murder of the Hellions can't bring herself to go... etc). Those are the stories I'd be most interested in telling -- out of continuity stuff -- and it is probably unlikely that Marvel has that same interest.

JDM
    I might have to borrow that! LOL! Don't throw it out!

THEREALMCCOY
    Nostalgia?! You make me feel so old! Like... like penny loafers and busy signals! LOL!

The decision to leave Gambit up north was made after I left. There was ever a "Oh yeah! Well I quit!" moment, nor a "You can't quit, Lobdell -- you're fired!" It was really just a matter of a writer and an editor wanting to move in different directions. Happens every day!

DARKNESSATNOON
    Really?! Maybe I should take credit then! LOL!

Seriously though I never read it so I can't really speak to it! No slight meant against anyone, I was just a little to close to everything at the time.

BRONZE
    On the contrary, I loved Peter! LOVED HIM! But I felt like it was the natural progression for the character after his sister and parents died and his brother was wh knows where. I felt (crazy as this sounds) that his sacrifice was part of his story, not the end of his story! (Turned out I was more right than I realized! LOL! And here I thought scattering his ashes over the Ust-Ordanski Collective made him resurrection proof! I had not counted on the Power of Joss! If I ever kill him off again I will have to be more clever! LOL)

I don't know, I loved a lot of those characters a lot, especially when I wrote them. Marrow is still awesome. The unfortunately named Maggot was a guy who worshiped Magneto but wasn't a zealot who found himself involved with the X-MEN. Cecilia, a self loathing mutant who had to join the X-MEN after six years of medical school was flushed down the toilet? I even loved Paulie, the racist, sexist, homophobic mook who was going to have to learn to get along with the same people he fears and hates! Keep in mind, we've had some thirty years of character exploration with a circus performer from Germany, a wouldbe weather goddess from Africa and a homicidal maniac amnesiac from Canada... who is to say what some of these characters would have developed into if they hadn't been given the hook so quickly? (And yes, I know, you can make the argument that the reason that got the hook was because they were boring or underdeveloped or what not, but, I guess we will never know!)

DEVILISH
    Lobdull?! LOL! Love it!

JACK FLASH
    No kitten killing in my name, please! LOL!

Wow, looks like that wraps it up for me! I can only imagine how many deadlines I've blown by responding! LOL!

Either way, and even if nothing ever comes from any of this, thank you all for the chance to spend an afternoon thinking back on old memories and giving me plenty of ideas for new ones! As always, X-MEN fans rock!

So Scott, if I may, have you been getting any feedback from Marvel about this?
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

Default Not A Peep!

Not a peep! LOL!

But i haven't pitched it to them, either! I was just responding to a question from the reporter!

I have been speaking to them about doing something X-related but it hasn't really progressed much more beyond the "Hi, my name is Scott Lobdell" stage.

Psst, Mr. Lodbell do Runaways.
    "More like Earth is getting kicked to the curb and Magma just stands still." - Pixie_Solanas

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lobdell View Post
    Not a peep! LOL!

But i haven't pitched it to them, either! I was just responding to a question from the reporter!

I have been speaking to them about doing something X-related but it hasn't really progressed much more beyond the "Hi, my name is Scott Lobdell" stage.
    It's too bad because I know I'd definitely buy AoA Forever. It would really seem fitting especially with the events currently happening in the X-verse right now. I don't want to bombard you with questions and feel free to ignore my sucking up but...

1. Who was your favorite AoA character?

2. Were you able to tell the entire story that you wanted?

3.What was your favorite moment in the arc?
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lobdell View Post
    EURAZN
    Fanwank?! LOL! I love that term!

I remember when I used to hang out around Marvel trying to get freelance work in the earliest days of my career. I was such a presence (and apparently an annoying one at the time) that Mark Gruenwald coined the phrase "Freelurker!" I was so honored!
    I should probably start hanging around the Marvel office, too. Not necessarily to get freelance work, but to pitch Dazzler in EVERY SINGLE MARVEL STORY. lol

Thanks for responding to all of us here in this thread. That was REALLY unexpected but pretty bad-ass of you.

AoA FTW, seriously. Make it happen!
    Radiant Butterfly
    明亮的蝴蝶

Dazzler's Glitterati | Psylocke's Psquadron

"Oh eurazn. You make the world a better place." - slacker