View Poll Results: What grade would you give Web of Spider-Man #1-7?

Voters
21. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • 1- Garbage.

2 9.52%
  • 2-Some redeeming qualities.

3 14.29%
  • 3-Decent.

8 38.10%
  • 4-Good.

7 33.33%
  • 5-Perfect.

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Web of Spider-Man #1-7

After reading Web of Spider-Man#7 i realized that in the next issue of this title will be different in the type of stories and format.
    For those that don`t know starting from Web of Spider-Man#8 the stories will be about Spider-Man with a focus in the supporting cast of the character.

So i thought it would be interesting to make a poll and review of Web of Spider-Man#1 to 7 since the stories will completely change.
    So here is my opinion about it:

Pros:

-Web of Spider-Man#1 to 7 managed to have it`s own identity and be a original title in a anthology format thanks to the Spider-Girl stories,stories focusing in villains appearing in the Gauntlet and unique stories as the Frog Man story or the story showing characterization about Hammerhead.

-The first cover by Pasqual Ferry and all the others by Jelena Djurdjevic were quite impressive.

-Every single story about the villains appearing in the Gauntlet were interesting by their own,without even Spider-Man appearing in them (except sort of the story about Kaine) showing the potential of the villains as characters to appear in their own stories as well.

-J.M.DeMatteis and Van Lente are talented writers which have a interesting take of the villains generally speaking.

-The themes of the secondary stories were cool since it allows to demonstrate how rich the comic book story telling medium is in telling stories in different formats.

-Spider-Girl stories appearing in Web of Spider-Man was cool for readers which have never read those stories as myself.

Cons:

-All though i enjoyed the stories about the villains appearing in the Gauntlet it was a shame because those stories had less pages that a standard story except the first issue with the story about Kaine.

-The stories about the villains in Web of Spider-Man could have reflected a bit more in the stories of Amazing Spider-Man in which those villains appeared during the Gauntlet.

So my final review to Web of Spider-Man#1 to 7 would be good,not a perfect title because some things that could have been done better but a good anthology title like like it have not be seen in years across the Spider-Man titles.

Feel free to vote and say your opinion about Web of Spider-Man#1 to 7 as well.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

My issue was the story about Ben. Does this mean he is still alive? Was it a flashback? How does it fall in continuity. I was confused about that.

Oh and I didn't read it on a regular basis. I occasionally would get issues when I needed something extra to read.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

I said 'decent'. Mainly because while I dug the Van Lente stories, I didn't care much for Spider-Girl and the third stories were so-so. Still, I did get to see Paper Doll.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

I went with 'decent' myself. I liked the Ben story and the Spider-Girl stuff a lot, and the rest wasn't bad at all. Didn't like that so much of the repercussions of Harry coming back from the dead were largely handled in this satellite title, though.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    I went with 'decent' myself. I liked the Ben story and the Spider-Girl stuff a lot, and the rest wasn't bad at all. Didn't like that so much of the repercussions of Harry coming back from the dead were largely handled in this satellite title, though.
    That was Spider-Man Family, I believe.

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    It was.

The argument about it being a 'satellite title' remains, though. I think they would have done better to put it in as a backup story in one of the ASM issues. I think it was a pretty good story, worth an extra buck if it came to that.
    And I hope when you think of me years down the line
    You can't find one good thing to say.
    And I hope that if I found the strength to walk out
    You'd stay the hell out of my way.

Whoops! So it was. Sorry about that.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Whoops! So it was. Sorry about that.
    Because the distinction between the two books is so significant

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    My issue was the story about Ben. Does this mean he is still alive? Was it a flashback? How does it fall in continuity. I was confused about that.
    I looked at that story as more of a untold story about Ben Reilly past that anything else.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulus B. View Post
    It was.

The argument about it being a 'satellite title' remains, though. I think they would have done better to put it in as a backup story in one of the ASM issues. I think it was a pretty good story, worth an extra buck if it came to that.
    I don't think it hurts to put some important happenings in a satellite, if only on occasion. The Van Lente stories, for example, weren't important. Well-written and fun, sure, but they weren't crucial. So sticking something in that is even slightly important to the main title could help lend the book(s) some cred.

-Theophilus

I said 'decent'. Mainly because while I dug the Van Lente stories, I didn't care much for Spider-Girl and the third stories were so-so. Still, I did get to see Paper Doll.

Van Lente characterization of the villains is unique i think,which can be seen by the Spot story for example by the same writer.
    Which is why i think Van Lente was a good choice to write the villains stories in Web of Spider-Man.

I don't think it hurts to put some important happenings in a satellite, if only on occasion. The Van Lente stories, for example, weren't important. Well-written and fun, sure, but they weren't crucial. So sticking something in that is even slightly important to the main title could help lend the book(s) some cred.
    True, but it also runs the risk of being missed out by people just buying the main book. I didn't know that story was told there until someone mentioned it on these boards, for example.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post

Oh and I didn't read it on a regular basis. I occasionally would get issues when I needed something extra to read.
    The following post contains a few spoilers from the 1996 "Redemption" mini-series, set during Ben's time as Spider-Man:

spoilers:
    Since Ben references Janine's death, the "Nobody" story falls after "Lost Years" and before the Clone Saga. Janine was revealed to be alive in "Redemption."
    end of spoilers
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

True, but it also runs the risk of being missed out by people just buying the main book. I didn't know that story was told there until someone mentioned it on these boards, for example.
    Well, yeah. That does suck when it happens. But I think they assume most people check out the solicits ahead of time. Or if they're already buying
    Spider-Man, that they're going to check out one of the satellites.

-Theophilus

I think I missed something.

What are the format changes happening in this title? I assume they're doing away with Spider-Girl due to her getting her own book again, but what else is happening with Web?