Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Dan Parent on Diversifying Archie

Following the announcement of the first openly gay teenager heading to Riverdale in "Veronica" #202, cartoonist Dan Parent talks to CBR News about adding variety to the whole line of Archie Comics.

Full article here.

comic fan from Slovakia Hromovlad's Avatar

I like this line:
    “We did have to revise the story a few times. It wasn’t like writing a regular Archie story because we were aware of what we were doing. That I’ll tell you, we were aware of what we were doing. We were aware we were doing something that could be controversial even though it shouldn’t be controversial."
    I'm from middle-Europe.
    This is where I get my comics from.
    My experiences with comics are different than yours.
    Live with it!

Big Hairy Member JeffreyWKramer's Avatar

And again, kudos to the Archie folk for doing this, both because it's a good thing in its own right and also because - based on the responses of some folk here at CBR - one has to suspect they will end up getting some grief from religious neanderthals.

Hopefully Pat Robertson, James Dobson and the rest of that loathesome ilk have some other hate cause to keep them occupied for awhile.
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:
    1) Most people are stupid.
    2) Most people who aren't stupid often behave as if they were stupid.
    3) Many people who are not stupid nonetheless believe a lot of astonishingly stupid things.

“really? isnt the bible millions of years old?” – curefreak
    “Yep. It was originally written by a stegosaurus and a fern.” – Dan Apodaca

Thumbs down

“The key is to bring this character into the future of the Archie characters and the town of Riverdale. We want to make sure Kevin can continue on and won’t be just a one-shot, which he’s not going to be,” Parent told CBR
    Good to know, so I won't have to check back in at a later date. I was buying Archie's primarily for a 9 year old but also putting them away and occasionally reading them as bedtime stories with her 5 year old sister. They will eventually learn all about the world, but to my mind this is not appropriate for a children's comic. So I will take my business elsewhere. Sorry to offend anyone, but i want to register my opinion with the Archie Comics people (for the last time).

And for the record, I am an atheist, so the name calling doesn't bother me.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Lupek View Post
    So you're a bigot just for funsies, then?

Valued Member Since 2008 semicyon's Avatar

Default So how does that all work?

...They will eventually learn all about the world, but to my mind this is not appropriate for a children's comic...

Not gonna name call... genuinely curious how that works for you, Lupek. Though I don't agree, I can understand why those with a faith in a higher order/being can think that homosexuality is evil in any presentation. Why would an atheist think presentations of a different sexual orientation is inappropriate or even matters at all if there's no higher purpose than to just be alive in the here and now? I highly doubt that Archie Comics are going to go into graphic detail of the mechanics of gay sex, for example, any more than they show Archie getting beyond first base with Betty or Veronica.

Again, no intent to bash, just an attempt to understand.

Big Hairy Member JeffreyWKramer's Avatar

Athiests can be stupid too, though as someone else already pointed out, they generally have less reason for this particular sort of dumb, not being weighed down by the religious baggage.

I'm having a real hard time seeing how an explanation along the lines of "It isn't always boys and girls liking each other, sometimes girls like girls or boys like boys" would be inappropriate for younger kids, and these days more often than not any kid old enough to warrant a more detailed discussion of such matters has probably already learned what "gay" means.
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:
    1) Most people are stupid.
    2) Most people who aren't stupid often behave as if they were stupid.
    3) Many people who are not stupid nonetheless believe a lot of astonishingly stupid things.

“really? isnt the bible millions of years old?” – curefreak
    “Yep. It was originally written by a stegosaurus and a fern.” – Dan Apodaca

Good to know, so I won't have to check back in at a later date. I was buying Archie's primarily for a 9 year old but also putting them away and occasionally reading them as bedtime stories with her 5 year old sister. They will eventually learn all about the world, but to my mind this is not appropriate for a children's comic. So I will take my business elsewhere. Sorry to offend anyone, but i want to register my opinion with the Archie Comics people (for the last time).

You have a right to your opinion, I'm just wondering what exactly do you consider inappropriate? That a boy likes a boy versus a boy liking a girl? If that is it, really? That lacks logic and seems like discrimination.

You can be homophobic without being religious

Quote Originally Posted by semicyon View Post
    I highly doubt that Archie Comics are going to go into graphic detail of the mechanics of gay sex, for example, any more than they show Archie getting beyond first base with Betty or Veronica.
    This
    Really, considering the way Archie usually handles this sort of things, the effect is generally the same as if they had a male character with no interest in getting a girlfriend but placing high priority on his friendship with another boy.
    Only that now it's given a name.
    Last edited by Hromovlad; 04-29-2010 at 03:04 AM.
    I'm from middle-Europe.
    Live with it!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyWKramer View Post
    Athiests can be stupid too
    Can anyone answer this (and actually put some thought into their answer): Why should a parent be forced to explain homosexuality to their 9 year-old?? Because if he lets his young child read that issue of Veronica, then that is what he will have to do

How does not wanting to explain grown-up issues to a young child make you a bigot?? To me this is no different than the parents who objected when schools were teaching sex-ed (including how to use a condom and so on) to 1st and 2nd graders. Are those parents bigots too, becasue they do not want to introduce mature topics to their young children??

Or is it that whenever topics like this come up, if someone does not voice the most politically correct viewpoint - they have to be yelled down as a bigot??

Does divorce count as a mature topic?
    I'm from middle-Europe.
    Live with it!

I can't wrap my mind around how Boy likes boy - Mature topic
    Boy likes Girl - all ages fun.
    The Gurnee Comic and toy show returns Sept 9th at the Gurnee Holiday Inn. Bigger room, more stuff!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hromovlad View Post
    Does divorce count as a mature topic?
    Sure. But it could also be an inevitable topic for any kid whose parents are going through it

Whereas some of these others, such as sex-ed and sexual orientation, might fall under "let a kid be a kid for a few years"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mortari View Post
    I can't wrap my mind around how Boy likes boy - Mature topic
    Boy likes Girl - all ages fun.
    yeah, but in fairness - even the boy likes girl and vica versa can be looked at as icky by kids until a certain age. So why should they be expected to have the cognition to rationally digest some of these topics being forced on them

Where does Archie go next with this character after the "He doesn't like you, Veronica" storyline? Archie Comics should not be dealing with homosexual themes, because as soon as you start with the talk about gays, the emphasis isn't placed relationship, but on sex. I realize there have always been gay characters in children's programming like Dr. Quest & Race Bannon, Peppermint Patty, Vanity Smurf, but these characters weren't introduced as a homosexuals, we just knew there was something different about them. Also, the ideal of using this as example of diversity is ridiculous since they're are only 3 black people and no jews in Riverdale. Im with Lupek and take my business elsewhere.