Default Scooby Doo by Evanier & Spiegel

I figure this is a good place to ask for info, given all the Crossfire & Blackhawk fans. I'm trying to compile a list of all the issues Evanier and Spiegel completed of Scooby Doo, and it's proving rather difficult. Here's what I _do_ know...

• They collaborated on these characters three times.
    • The first was in the 1970 Gold Key series, where they did several or all issues.
    • The second was in the 1975 Charlton series, where they also did several or all issues.
    • The third was quite recent, in the 1995 Archie series, where they did 3 issues, including #17.

The 1970 series had 30 issues (with a title change in mid-run), the 1975 series had 11, and the 1995 series had 21.

And that's all I know! Can someone help fill in the gaps? Thank you!

...I can't help there , but maybe we can expand this to discussion of th' Scoobster , in comics , in general ?????????

Are you sure Evanier and Spiegle did the Charlton series? I didn't think they were the ones who worked on that series, but I could be wrong.
    I'm not even sure Spiegle drew all the Gold Key series. He certainly didn't draw all of the covers (I really don't see many of the covers that look like his at all).
    They worked together on the title on the Marvel series, and I know they worked together on the Archie series because I own the Spiegle cover art to Scooby Doo 10 from Archie. They also did 14 and 17 at Archie.
    I can't find where they did any of the DC issues.
    I do believe Evanier and Spiegle did all of the Marvel issues together, but I seem to remember Paul Norris doing at least a backup story or two.

Oddball Cartoonist! Scott Shaw!'s Avatar

Exclamation

The great Warren Tufts drew the early Gold Key issues of SCOOBY. I think that Jack Manning did at least one of 'em, too.

Mark and Dan also did certain segments of Marvel's HANNA-BARBERA'S LAFF-A-LYMPICS issues; I think I may have worked on the other segments of those.

"Aquaman" co-creator Paul Norris was the primary artist on Marvel's DYNAMUTT.

I think that Bill Williams drew the Charlton SCOOBY comic.

Alohahaha,

Scott!
    http://www.shawcartoons.com
    -----------
    SCOTT SHAW! presents ODDBALL COMICS:
    http://www.scottshawsoddballcomics.com

I love the Evanier-Spiegle Scooby Doo comics. I thought those two were the best writer-artist team to ever work on the character.
    I was living in Pikeville, Ky., when I saw a copy of Scooby Doo 17 on a spinner rack at a drug store called Economy Drug and I had to buy it because it reunited the classic Scooby Doo creative team. It wasn't until years later that I learned they did more than just one issue of the Archie series together.
    I can't understand why DC hasn't had Evanier and Spiegle to do an issue or two. I know Spiegle is still drawing commissions and Evanier is still working in comics.
    I would think that would be like reuniting Claremont and Byrne on X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shaw! View Post
    The great Warren Tufts drew the early Gold Key issues of SCOOBY. I think that Jack Manning did at least one of 'em, too.

Mark and Dan also did certain segments of Marvel's HANNA-BARBERA'S LAFF-A-LYMPICS issues; I think I may have worked on the other segments of those.

"Aquaman" co-creator Paul Norris was the primary artist on Marvel's DYNAMUTT.

I think that Bill Williams drew the Charlton SCOOBY comic.

Alohahaha,

Scott!
    Thanks for the info, Scott. I knew that Spiegle didn't draw the Charlton stuff, but couldn't remember the artist's name who did draw them. I also didn't think Spiegle drew the Gold Key series because Spiegle's Scooby Doo has a distinct look to it. The versions by other artists are good, but nowhere near as good as Spiegle's.

I think I read an Evanier column in Comics Buyers Guide waaaaaay back where a woman asked Evanier in conversation, "What would you dream job be?" and he replied, without batting an eye, "Working with [editor] Chase Craig and Dan Spiegel on Scooby Doo comics." She gave him a very strange look, of course.

But the strange thing is that the next day, IIRC, he actually got a phone call from Chase Craig saying he had the rights to Scooby Doo and Spiegel was already on board; did he want to write some stories?

So that's my reason for saying Evanier had two runs on Scooby Doo (not counting the three issues for Archie). Can't find any verification online, though.

OK, I found a LITTLE more information.

Evanier states on his blog that he & Spiegel did work together on three Scooby Doo series: the Gold Key-published, Chase Craig-edited series, the MARVEL series "Hanna Barbara's Scooby Doo" (also edited by Craig) and a few issues in the Archie series.

The Great Comics Database is largely silent on Scooby Doo comics, with most entries being skeletal. Between the few entries that are complete and Evanier's blog, here's what I've been able to confirm so far about Evanier/Spiegel:
    Gold Key: #21
    Marvel: #1, 3, 6, 8, 9 (a solid enough run to imply that they did all 11 issues)
    Archie: #10, 14 (per DonEMC), 17

We're starting to approach a list, anyway. Hope more indexers come along, though...
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 04-27-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Putting more comics on the list & adding clarity

I think I can help you folks out...

The Gold Key SCOOBY DOO comic was drawn in its early issues by Phil DeLara, Jack Manning and Warren Tufts -- in roughly that order. Dan Spiegle took over drawing it around #14 if memory serves me. I started writing it with #21, I believe. I wrote all the rest except for #26, which was a reprint, and one story in #28. Someone else had written a SCOOBY script for a MARCH OF COMICS special Gold Key planned to do. Then they changed their minds and didn't do that special issue so the story was stuck into the regular SCOOBY comic. (I think it was written by Vic Lockman, who wrote many stories for the comic before I took over. So did Don R. Christensen and a few other guys.)

SCOOBY was next published by Charlton. Neither Dan nor I had anything to do with those.

When Hanna-Barbera made a co-production deal with Marvel, they did 9 issues. The first story in the first issue was written by Bill Zeigler. I wrote everything else in those books. Dan drew the SCOOBY stories. Paul Norris drew the DYNOMUTT back-ups. We also did some SCOOBY sequences in LAFF-A-LYMPICS and a tabloid book called THE FUNTASTIC WORLD OF HANNA-BARBERA.

I think we only did three issues of the comic when Archie published it. And as far as I know, that's the whole list. Glad someone enjoyed them.
    Mark Evanier's daily weblog is http://www.newsfromme.com

Super!! Thank you so very much, sir!

In summary, if I understand it correctly, the issues I'll be picking up are:
    *Scooby-Doo Mystery Comics (Gold Key, 1973) 21-25, 27, 29, 30
    *Scooby-Doo (Marvel, 1977) 1-9
    *Scooby-Doo (Archie, 1995) 10, 14, 17

(If I happen to find issues of Laff-a-Lympics [1-13] in a back issue bin somewhere, I'll look through them, but I'm not particularly excited about ordering them online w/o knowing which issues have which stories.)

Picking these Scooby-Doo issues up should be a nice challenge--with an enjoyable payoff! I still think they should be collected in two hardcovers or trades, though.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 04-28-2010 at 05:12 PM.

I'm so glad to hear from Mark on this subject. I can spot Spiegle's work anywhere and I knew that he did NOT work on the Charlton series and did NOT do all the issues of the Gold Key run. I did read the Marvel Scooby Doo issues that were published many years ago and I read two of the three Archie Scooby Doos (like I said, I own the cover art to 10 by Spiegle) and they are all way better than any of the Scooby Doo stories told by other creators.
    Gosh, how I'd love to get piece of art from the Marvel Scooby Doo series ... that's a true grail for me.