Page 156 of 289 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 4322

Thread: Young Justice

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    But speaking Spanglish around Engish speakers? Maybe if English was his second language he might slip into it, but this is kind of silly.
    I have known some people who speak Spanglish around English speakers, it is different for each individual and cultural upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I can understand the question. What has he done to prove himself as the ops guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    Bingo...hell, his comic counterpart isn't all that impressive either
    Well, we'll wait and see what the show tells us. Not every single thing is going to be laid out in the first episode of the new season.

Elder Member

But speaking Spanglish around Engish speakers? Maybe if English was his second language he might slip into it, but this is kind of silly.
    Eh, happens all the time with Spanish speakers I know. Some can slip in and out without even realizing it. I had one friend who was talking to his mom while helping me and another guy move some stuff. His entire conversation was in spanish, except the word furniture.

...and we spent the next hour teasing him that he didn't know the spanish word for furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Theozilla View Post
    I have known some people who speak Spanglish around English speakers, it is different for each individual and cultural upbringing.
    Perhaps, but it just plays into a tired trope I see too often. And using phrases like "ese" just makes it seem like they're not even trying. As though there's just a handful of words in Mexican American lexicon that they're familiar with.

This is what I mean : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tuitousSpanish

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, happens all the time with Spanish speakers I know. Some can slip in and out without even realizing it. I had one friend who was talking to his mom while helping me and another guy move some stuff. His entire conversation was in spanish, except the word furniture.

...and we spent the next hour teasing him that he didn't know the spanish word for furniture.
    Right, your friend was around other Spanish speakers. But in Anglo environment?
    Boobs

Ambivalent about twitter.

Do we know how many episodes Season 2 is supposed to run?

Perhaps, but it just plays into a tired trope I see too often. And using phrases like "ese" just makes it seem like they're not even trying. As though there's just a handful of words in Mexican American lexicon that they're familiar with.

Yeah, but the thing about tropes is that they are judging wide-scale patterns, not individual cases. I did not think Jaime's Spanglish was gratuitous in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Do we know how many episodes Season 2 is supposed to run?
    20 episodes.

I wouldn't be too relied on tropes. They are known to change things on a whim
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

They know who to look at, and in their case, it's personal. They'd make time.
    The League's been playing catch up since day one with the Light. I don't see this been any different the group has always been a step ahead. The Light could have killed the League if they wanted too, but only choose to keep them alive as pawns for their plans.

A few things:

-Were Mal and John Stewart voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson?
    And he also does J'onn. He gets a nice sized paycheck.

-Why couldn't Manhunter use telepathy to figure out what they did during those missing 16 hours?
    Probably did already and came up with zilch.

-Nightwing needs a more mature voice
    Tell that to McCarthy.

-I like the Young Justice Unlimited vibe.

-I don't like when writers feel the need to pepper the speech of Latino characters with Spanish phrases, as though we need a constant reminder of where they ethnic background.
    When Latinos who do that stop in real life, then they'll stop in fiction.

-I don't know much about Blue Beetle so the whole split personality thing threw me off. Would've been nice to have some sort of explanation that he's got some kind of symbiote thing going.
    He's talking to the Scarab.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Wow, and he also does Kilowag and Pantro? That's a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Wow, and he also does Kilowag and Pantro? That's a lot.
    And Bulkhead in Transformers Prime. The guy does a lot of voice work.

Elder Member

I am white, actually ;) And my friend is 50%.

I know plenty of people who speak a second language. Sometimes they slip, sometimes they don't. There's no real pattern to it, honestly.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    The League's been playing catch up since day one with the Light. I don't see this been any different the group has always been a step ahead. The Light could have killed the League if they wanted too, but only choose to keep them alive as pawns for their plans.
    The Light was ahead because they had the element of surprise and made an effort at secrecy. They don't have that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I wouldn't be too relied on tropes. They are known to change things on a whim
    I don't follow you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Mal and John sound too similar.

When Latinos who do that stop in real life, then they'll stop in fiction.
    Why are they the standard?
    I am white, actually ;) And my friend is 50%.

I know plenty of people who speak a second language. Sometimes they slip, sometimes they don't. There's no real pattern to it, honestly.
    I gathered that you weren't Hispanic, but my point was he was more likely to slip being in a bilingual environment/situation.
    In the case of BB, it's also about the words he slipped with. It just comes off like a shorthand way of emphasizing foreignness. As though his accent weren't enough. But we're also speaking to differences in experience, and in mine you're more likely to see that in a procedural drama or a cartoon than in real life.
    Boobs

Ambivalent about twitter.

Im half Puerto Rican...the PR side of the family who know Spanish talk that way all the time
    Support your local roller derby league