Page 156 of 289 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 4322

Thread: Young Justice

  1. #2326
    Senior Member Theozilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    4,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    But speaking Spanglish around Engish speakers? Maybe if English was his second language he might slip into it, but this is kind of silly.
    I have known some people who speak Spanglish around English speakers, it is different for each individual and cultural upbringing.

  2. #2327
    Senior Member Theozilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    4,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I can understand the question. What has he done to prove himself as the ops guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    Bingo...hell, his comic counterpart isn't all that impressive either
    Well, we'll wait and see what the show tells us. Not every single thing is going to be laid out in the first episode of the new season.

  3. #2328
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    12,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    But speaking Spanglish around Engish speakers? Maybe if English was his second language he might slip into it, but this is kind of silly.
    Eh, happens all the time with Spanish speakers I know. Some can slip in and out without even realizing it. I had one friend who was talking to his mom while helping me and another guy move some stuff. His entire conversation was in spanish, except the word furniture.

    ...and we spent the next hour teasing him that he didn't know the spanish word for furniture.

  4. #2329
    Mostly Harmless Tracer Bullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theozilla View Post
    I have known some people who speak Spanglish around English speakers, it is different for each individual and cultural upbringing.
    Perhaps, but it just plays into a tired trope I see too often. And using phrases like "ese" just makes it seem like they're not even trying. As though there's just a handful of words in Mexican American lexicon that they're familiar with.

    This is what I mean : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tuitousSpanish

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, happens all the time with Spanish speakers I know. Some can slip in and out without even realizing it. I had one friend who was talking to his mom while helping me and another guy move some stuff. His entire conversation was in spanish, except the word furniture.

    ...and we spent the next hour teasing him that he didn't know the spanish word for furniture.
    Right, your friend was around other Spanish speakers. But in Anglo environment?
    Boobs


    Ambivalent about twitter.

  5. #2330

    Default

    Do we know how many episodes Season 2 is supposed to run?

  6. #2331
    Senior Member Theozilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    4,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    Perhaps, but it just plays into a tired trope I see too often. And using phrases like "ese" just makes it seem like they're not even trying. As though there's just a handful of words in Mexican American lexicon that they're familiar with.

    This is what I mean : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tuitousSpanish

    Right, your friend was around other Spanish speakers. But in Anglo environment?
    Yeah, but the thing about tropes is that they are judging wide-scale patterns, not individual cases. I did not think Jaime's Spanglish was gratuitous in this case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Do we know how many episodes Season 2 is supposed to run?
    20 episodes.

  7. #2332
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    Perhaps, but it just plays into a tired trope I see too often. And using phrases like "ese" just makes it seem like they're not even trying. As though there's just a handful of words in Mexican American lexicon that they're familiar with.

    This is what I mean : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tuitousSpanish



    Right, your friend was around other Spanish speakers. But in Anglo environment?
    I wouldn't be too relied on tropes. They are known to change things on a whim
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  8. #2333
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They know who to look at, and in their case, it's personal. They'd make time.
    The League's been playing catch up since day one with the Light. I don't see this been any different the group has always been a step ahead. The Light could have killed the League if they wanted too, but only choose to keep them alive as pawns for their plans.


  9. #2334
    Elder Member Mat001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    A few things:


    -Were Mal and John Stewart voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson?
    And he also does J'onn. He gets a nice sized paycheck.

    -Why couldn't Manhunter use telepathy to figure out what they did during those missing 16 hours?
    Probably did already and came up with zilch.

    -Nightwing needs a more mature voice
    Tell that to McCarthy.

    -I like the Young Justice Unlimited vibe.

    -I don't like when writers feel the need to pepper the speech of Latino characters with Spanish phrases, as though we need a constant reminder of where they ethnic background.
    When Latinos who do that stop in real life, then they'll stop in fiction.

    -I don't know much about Blue Beetle so the whole split personality thing threw me off. Would've been nice to have some sort of explanation that he's got some kind of symbiote thing going.
    He's talking to the Scarab.

  10. #2335
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    And he also does J'onn. He gets a nice sized paycheck.
    Wow, and he also does Kilowag and Pantro? That's a lot.

  11. #2336
    Senior Member Theozilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    4,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Wow, and he also does Kilowag and Pantro? That's a lot.
    And Bulkhead in Transformers Prime. The guy does a lot of voice work.

  12. #2337
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    12,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    Right, your friend was around other Spanish speakers. But in Anglo environment?
    I am white, actually ;) And my friend is 50%.

    I know plenty of people who speak a second language. Sometimes they slip, sometimes they don't. There's no real pattern to it, honestly.

  13. #2338
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    12,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    The League's been playing catch up since day one with the Light. I don't see this been any different the group has always been a step ahead. The Light could have killed the League if they wanted too, but only choose to keep them alive as pawns for their plans.
    The Light was ahead because they had the element of surprise and made an effort at secrecy. They don't have that anymore.

  14. #2339
    Mostly Harmless Tracer Bullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I wouldn't be too relied on tropes. They are known to change things on a whim
    I don't follow you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    And he also does J'onn. He gets a nice sized paycheck.
    Mal and John sound too similar.


    When Latinos who do that stop in real life, then they'll stop in fiction.
    Why are they the standard?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I am white, actually ;) And my friend is 50%.

    I know plenty of people who speak a second language. Sometimes they slip, sometimes they don't. There's no real pattern to it, honestly.
    I gathered that you weren't Hispanic, but my point was he was more likely to slip being in a bilingual environment/situation.
    In the case of BB, it's also about the words he slipped with. It just comes off like a shorthand way of emphasizing foreignness. As though his accent weren't enough. But we're also speaking to differences in experience, and in mine you're more likely to see that in a procedural drama or a cartoon than in real life.
    Boobs


    Ambivalent about twitter.

  15. #2340
    Observer Vibranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    19,212

    Default

    Im half Puerto Rican...the PR side of the family who know Spanish talk that way all the time
    Support your local roller derby league

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •