Page 3 of 289 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 4322

Thread: Young Justice

  1. #31
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I know some are thinking "why didn't they just use Static instead of turning Aqualad black" but I think people tend to forget that DC doesn't own Static.
    Lets not let the truth get in the way of a fine talking point.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I know some are thinking "why didn't they just use Static instead of turning Aqualad black" but I think people tend to forget that DC doesn't own Static.
    That didn't stop him from appearing in JLU. Doesn't Warner Animation (who Dwayne McDuffie works for) own his animation rights? They can simply check with McDuffie and see if it's okay with him.

    And it doesn't have to be Static either.

  3. #33
    Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Just outside of Gotham near Bludhaven.
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by []D[]/\/\[]D @ Nite/So-tite View Post
    You mean Lightning? She's still a teen and her powers are more in line with BL's. Better yet, why didn't they just use her?
    Yeah that's what I meant.

    Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason Tempest was killed.
    That would SUCK SO BAD!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Any particular reason? Not only is Young Justice a better name, they just had a TT cartoon, what, five years ago? This is a way of clarifying that these are different characters with (ideally) a different tone.

    Artemis kind of... looks like Cissie, particularly that headband. Here's hoping it's her in everything but name. Ditto for Bart... if he behaves like Impulse, I can live with him being called Kid Flash. Not ideal, but compromises must be made and all that.

    -D
    Exactly! From the way they describe it the only person w/o a "legacy" character is GL. They call this Cass/WG replacement Artemis (which means goddess of the hunt which would explain the archer look). Artemis is also the name of an amazon in the DCU (sure everyone knew that though).

    For those saying it should be called Teen Titans couldn't be anymore WRONG. YJ has to have Cyborg, Starfire, Raven, and Beast Boy/Changeling for it to even be considered having the same premise as TT.

    It's Young Justice because:

    Superman/Superboy
    Batman/Robin
    Wonder Woman/Artemis
    Green Lantern/????? (should've been Kyle @ 19 yrs old would've added more diversity because he's half spanish ;)
    The Flash/Impulse?or Kid Flash
    Martian Manhunter/Miss Martian
    Aquaman/Aqualad (who's now Black w/ blonde hair and green eyes lol)

    I'm liking tis legacy theme!
    I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all. -Grant Morrison

  4. #34
    Yes...THAT Scavenger Scavenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,026

    Default

    Artemis could also be Green Arrow's sidekick.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne View Post
    For those saying it should be called Teen Titans couldn't be anymore WRONG. YJ has to have Cyborg, Starfire, Raven, and Beast Boy/Changeling for it to even be considered having the same premise as TT.

    It's Young Justice because:

    Superman/Superboy
    Batman/Robin
    Wonder Woman/Artemis
    Green Lantern/????? (should've been Kyle @ 19 yrs old would've added more diversity because he's half spanish ;)
    The Flash/Impulse?or Kid Flash
    Martian Manhunter/Miss Martian
    Aquaman/Aqualad (who's now Black w/ blonde hair and green eyes lol)

    I'm liking tis legacy theme!
    The thing is, what they're going for doesn't really fit the premise of Young Justice either. In fact, it fits it even less than it does Teen Titans.

    So it's not really like Teen Titans would be a less suitable name.

  6. #36
    housetrapped Munkiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cyteen
    Posts
    3,695

    Default

    Cool, although I really don't get why they made Aqualad black and blond. Or changed Arrowette to Artemis. But, it doesn't bother me much! Particularly with Weisman, this will be nice. I like the style.
    Action Comics, American Vampire, AV: Lord of Nightmares, Atomic Robo, Batman Inc, Batwoman, The Flash, Prophet, Uncanny X-Force

  7. #37
    Junior Member RedRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Totally in!

    Young Justice was one of the first series' I ever seriously read. I mean, it was in what, 1997? Yeah, this stuff was awesome as a ten year old and I can't wait for the cartoon now!

  8. #38
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by []D[]/\/\[]D @ Nite/So-tite View Post
    The thing is, what they're going for doesn't really fit the premise of Young Justice either. In fact, it fits it even less than it does Teen Titans.

    So it's not really like Teen Titans would be a less suitable name.
    No YJ would be just more suitable title when selling the idea to a bunch of cartoon executive (it has Justice in it just like Justice League) and suits the show's rather open attempt at playing the legacy/sidekick card.

  9. #39
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by []D[]/\/\[]D @ Nite/So-tite View Post
    That didn't stop him from appearing in JLU. Doesn't Warner Animation (who Dwayne McDuffie works for) own his animation rights? They can simply check with McDuffie and see if it's okay with him.
    They can't just "check with him." If they want to use Static then they have to pay him. That means lawyers, contracts, negotiations, money. Making Aqualad Black was easier and cheaper.

    And honestly, I can't believe people actually care enough about Aqualad to be upset about this.

  10. #40
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    Artemis could also be Green Arrow's sidekick.
    Seeing as how they can't use Wondergirl, I wouldn't be surprised if Artemis turns out to be a Cassie/Cissie hybrid.

    I don't know if it's due to perspective or not, but Robin looks way too short, and I still don't get why, if that is Bart, that they made him look like Wally. Maybe it'll be different in the series though.

    I'm looking forward to this. Who knows, maybe this show will give DC the kick in the ass they need to fix Teen Titans.

  11. #41
    Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Just outside of Gotham near Bludhaven.
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by []D[]/\/\[]D @ Nite/So-tite View Post
    The thing is, what they're going for doesn't really fit the premise of Young Justice either. In fact, it fits it even less than it does Teen Titans.

    So it's not really like Teen Titans would be a less suitable name.
    How the hell does a show titled Young Justice not fit the premise or even less than Teen Titans? That's absurd thinking. It's not even a matter of opinion. Young Justice=young JLA=legacy characters=side kicks. Period. Cyborg: not a legacy character. Raven: not a legacy character. Starfire: not a legacy character. Beast Boy/Changeling: not a legacy character. A team comprised of only legacy characters which is obviously mirroring the JLA in a young format doesn't fit the premise of... Young Justice? Idk what you want in a young JLA premise but if this ain't it then Idk what is. In fact you tell me.

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    They can't just "check with him." If they want to use Static then they have to pay him. That means lawyers, contracts, negotiations, money. Making Aqualad Black was easier and cheaper.

    And honestly, I can't believe people actually care enough about Aqualad to be upset about this.
    I think it's cool. He's a legacy character that doesn't even exist in current continuity. Tempest is dead and they never replaced him w/ an Aqualad in the regular DCU so frankly they can make him w/e they want. It'd be the same thing if they replaced Jason Todd w/ a Black kid after he died. A legacy character doesn't automatically mean son/daughter... and even if he turned out to be related to Orin... who gives a f**k?!
    I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all. -Grant Morrison

  12. #42
    Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Just outside of Gotham near Bludhaven.
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BallsMonkey View Post
    Seeing as how they can't use Wondergirl, I wouldn't be surprised if Artemis turns out to be a Cassie/Cissie hybrid.

    I don't know if it's due to perspective or not, but Robin looks way too short, and I still don't get why, if that is Bart, that they made him look like Wally. Maybe it'll be different in the series though.

    I'm looking forward to this. Who knows, maybe this show will give DC the kick in the ass they need to fix Teen Titans.
    Yeah the hybrid theory is what I was thinking to. That'd be cool. I don't see the whole problem w/ the Wally/Bart comparison... have you seen Bart in the Kid Flash costume lately? Uh... if that doesn't scream Wally, Idk what does. Unless you just wanted to see Impulse?
    I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all. -Grant Morrison

  13. #43
    Masked Bat-Mod RonnieThunderbolts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    5,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne View Post
    How the hell does a show titled Young Justice not fit the premise or even less than Teen Titans? That's absurd thinking. It's not even a matter of opinion. Young Justice=young JLA=legacy characters=side kicks. Period. Cyborg: not a legacy character. Raven: not a legacy character. Starfire: not a legacy character. Beast Boy/Changeling: not a legacy character. A team comprised of only legacy characters which is obviously mirroring the JLA in a young format doesn't fit the premise of... Young Justice? Idk what you want in a young JLA premise but if this ain't it then Idk what is. In fact you tell me.
    Young Justice was an actual comic book team that was comprised in part of non-Legacy and non-sidekick characters (like Lil' Lobo, Empress, and the Secret). Teen Titans started out as a direct Justice League parallel, with Robin for Batman, Speedy for Green Arrow, Kid Flash for Flash, Aqualad for Aquaman and Wonder Girl for Wonder Woman. A lot of non-legacy heroes joined, especially with the revamp that introduced Cyborg, Starfire, Raven and Changleing to the team, that is true, but it started out as a Jr. Justice League in concept. While Young Justice did the same thing they had the Secret as a member from the very beginning, and added Empress early on and others over time as well.

    Yes, the selection of members for this team, on this show is a junior Justice League, we all understand that. But Miss Martian, Superboy, Kid Flash, Robin and Aqualad have all been members of the Teen Titans in the comic books. Superboy and Robin were members of Young Justice in the comic books. How exactly is it absurd to consider Teen Titans as appropriate or more appropriate for a name for this group of characters?

  14. #44
    Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Just outside of Gotham near Bludhaven.
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieThunderbolts View Post
    Young Justice was an actual comic book team that was comprised in part of non-Legacy and non-sidekick characters (like Lil' Lobo, Empress, and the Secret). Teen Titans started out as a direct Justice League parallel, with Robin for Batman, Speedy for Green Arrow, Kid Flash for Flash, Aqualad for Aquaman and Wonder Girl for Wonder Woman. A lot of non-legacy heroes joined, especially with the revamp that introduced Cyborg, Starfire, Raven and Changleing to the team, that is true, but it started out as a Jr. Justice League in concept. While Young Justice did the same thing they had the Secret as a member from the very beginning, and added Empress early on and others over time as well.

    Yes, the selection of members for this team, on this show is a junior Justice League, we all understand that. But Miss Martian, Superboy, Kid Flash, Robin and Aqualad have all been members of the Teen Titans in the comic books. Superboy and Robin were members of Young Justice in the comic books. How exactly is it absurd to consider Teen Titans as appropriate or more appropriate for a name for this group of characters?
    I've read and understood both Teen Titans and Young Justice. I see exactly what you're saying and I agree from the comic book perspective of things... BUT WB (and who ever else is creating this show) has obviously developed this team in a direct "legacy" format, therefore the name Young JUSTICE seems much more appropriate from a creative and commercial standpoint seeing as though they made a killing off of JUSTICE League and JUSTICE League Unlimited. See what they did there?
    I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all. -Grant Morrison

  15. #45
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieThunderbolts View Post
    Yes, the selection of members for this team, on this show is a junior Justice League, we all understand that. But Miss Martian, Superboy, Kid Flash, Robin and Aqualad have all been members of the Teen Titans in the comic books. Superboy and Robin were members of Young Justice in the comic books. How exactly is it absurd to consider Teen Titans as appropriate or more appropriate for a name for this group of characters?
    Depends on your definition of "appropriate." My guess is that part of the decision on the title has to do with a bit of forward thinking corporate synergy. Presumably there's still a Justice League movie somewhere in Warner's not-too-distant future, so launching a young-skewing show featuring teen analogs of the JLA is a good way to prime the pump for growing a potential audience. In that scenario, the name Young Justice makes much better marketing sense than Teen Titans.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •