Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: C2E2: Shooter on "Turok, Son of Stone"

"Turok, Son of Stone" will be the third classic Gold Key character reinvented by Jim Shooter, Dark Horse announced at C2E2 last weekend. CBR spoke with Shooter about his latest take on the time-tossed adventurer.

Full article here.

unwshd & smwht slitly dzd Schmakt's Avatar

Once again: can't wait!
    and hopefully the art on this will be better than Mags and Solar...
    No one responds to street art anymore.
    People tend to respond to things like loaded guns in their faces.

That and celebrity spokesmodels.

Valiant 2.0?

^I hope so!

unwshd & smwht slitly dzd Schmakt's Avatar

It doesn't really sound like there are plans to bring these characters together in time... seems like that'd be tough. I guess Solar could be the time-traveling link that holds it all together, but having Solar show up in a classic Turok book seems... difficult.

I'll just trust Shooter to do what he does and make some rad comics. :)
    No one responds to street art anymore.
    People tend to respond to things like loaded guns in their faces.

That and celebrity spokesmodels.

Comics Ninja

I love bringing back the older characters who have fallen by the wayside and reinventing them. Good for Jim Shooter, I really look forward this this launch.

Comics Ninja www.comicsninja.com

This seems like the toughest sell of the 3 Shooter books but I am willing to give it a shot. It's so strange to me to be hearing about The Lost Land and all that and not have Erica Pierce or the bionosaurs and that stuff play into it at all. I really hope eventually that an agreement can be reached where that stuff can be added in.

Really, the only hope of that happening is if Valiant Entertainment folds. With their next to zero output, that doesn't seem like a far stretch at this point.

It's been years now and nothing except a couple of hardcover reprints.

No movies, no comics or video games, no announcements....nothing.

Someone is going to pull the plug on them.

I'd love to see Dark Horse or DC buy them out.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

i'm looking forward to it!

the whole cave thing reminds me of John Carter of Mars.

I always get hesitant when dealing with Native American characters. Vary few people know to write them with out using stereotypes. Like every native is an expert tracker and has mystical powers. Now there are way to many Native American groups to get everything right but Shooter pointed out that Turok is a Pre-Columbian Native American from the Northeast. That narrows it down a bit, at least to the point that my wife of Northeast Native American dissent is going to give me hell for reading this book if there is anything that doesnít jive for her. It also doesnít help that my father in law is a professor of Native American studies who specialize in the portrayal of Native Americans in media. I foresee there is going to be a few Wednesdays that Iím sleeping on the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by DyslexicDan View Post
    That narrows it down a bit, at least to the point that my wife of Northeast Native American dissent is going to give me hell for reading this book if there is anything that doesnít jive for her. It also doesnít help that my father in law is a professor of Native American studies who specialize in the portrayal of Native Americans in media. I foresee there is going to be a few Wednesdays that Iím sleeping on the couch.
    Ummm, good luck? I'm sure that they'll treat Turok in a respectful way, and try to avoid being stereotypical. But, I think there's a good chance he'll be tracking. Admittedly, it's just a guess but I hope that couch of yours is roomy.

Welcome to CBR, and the Indy forums, Dan.

-Pistols

Post Shooter on "Turok"

I just hope that the pre Lost Land wandering of Turok is explored since it sounds very interesting and explains some of the details not fully explained in the Gold Key era comics. Bringing in the Valiant era cyber enhanced dinosaurs is a bad idea and I would drop Turok in a second if that starts showing up.If done properly this character ranks with the best of Edgar Rice Burroughs or Haggard or Conan Doyle.

I don't mind the pain Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

I'm pretty eager about this. The only Turok that I know of was through the N64 games.

Anyone seen the Turok, Son of Stone animated film with Adam Beach??I watched a little on youtube and stopped watching, because of the awesoness. I'm gonna try to find it on DVD to continue watching it.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, Frankenstein Alive Alive, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy in Hell, King Conan: The Conquerer, Minimum Wage, Stray Bullets: Killers

Thumbs up Buy, it...right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZE View Post
    Anyone seen the Turok, Son of Stone animated film with Adam Beach??
    YES!!!! It is so worth it!

Great action, and it does not pull any punches. It's a great ride, but it's not for kids though...too violent!

It was actually this film that got me really interested to see some more Classic Turok. I did buy some Valiant "modern" Turok comics, but it's not the same. I think Turok is like Conan. They both work best in their original setting.

I don't mind the pain Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TwinPistols View Post
    YES!!!! It is so worth it!

Great action, and it does not pull any punches. It's a great ride, but it's not for kids though...too violent!

It was actually this film that got me really interested to see some more Classic Turok. I did buy some Valiant "modern" Turok comics, but it's not the same. I think Turok is like Conan. They both work best in their original setting.
    I was pretty surprise how violent it was, but I just gotta find for now. Not too long ago I was gonna buy one of the Valiant comics, but I too was kind of turned down by the "Modern" feel it had. It was on $2 bucks too.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, Frankenstein Alive Alive, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy in Hell, King Conan: The Conquerer, Minimum Wage, Stray Bullets: Killers