Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: C2E2: Roy Thomas Reunites to Conan

Classic Conan writer Roy Thomas returns to the muscular hero for a 12-issue series beginning in December from Dark Horse. We spoke with Thomas about "Conan: Road of Kings," which was announced this weekend at C2E2.

Full article here.

I'm so on board for this. I've unfortunately read none of the archives, and therefore, none of Thomas's work, writing Conan, and I just startd to read Howard's original tales. This will be such a boon for me. Bring it on Dark Horse!!

looking forward to this
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

This is really cool news, obviously there is no shortage of Conan books written by Thomas with the Chronicles and Savage Sword reprints, but the thing to remember is there is a reason he has written Conan so much- he has a real skill with this character and the Hyborian age.

So he is filling the gap between 'Iron Shadows' and 'Queen of the Black Coast' for the current series. Thats cool I've read the Chronicles of Conan reprints and some of my favorite stories in those are when Thomas fills the gaps between the Howard canonical stories. I think I'll pull out my Chronicles trades and see how he did it the first time. The mention of 'Queen of the black Coast' also makes me wonder if Dark Horse is planning on extending Conan's time with Belit like Thomas did in the '70s.

Also the really big news for me is that this is being drawn by Mike Hawthorne.
    Hawthorne is a great artist with really great story telling ability. After I read this I checked his blog- http://mikehawthorne.blogspot.com/
    Last week he posted a couple Conan drawings he did "for fun" that cheeky bastard.
    This book is going to be sweet.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I'll buy it as I'm pretty much buying anything Conan related, but wouldn't it just have been easier to continue the current series with the 12 issues in the regular numbering?
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Senior Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Crap in a hat! What's up with all the positive creative teams recently?
    First, IDW gets Larry Hama back for a continuation of his original G.I. Joe run...
    Louise Simonson is doing wonders on the X-Factor Forever mini...
    And now Dark Horse gets Roy Thomas back on Conan for a mini...my wallet can't handle this!

Thumbs up

I had planned to drop the Conan series from my pull list due to being several months behind in my reading, but I'll save a place for it now.

I've been slowly making my way through the Chronicles trade paperbacks, and Roy Thomas writes a hell of a Conan story. I can't wait.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirmisher View Post
    This is really cool news, obviously there is no shortage of Conan books written by Thomas with the Chronicles and Savage Sword reprints, but the thing to remember is there is a reason he has written Conan so much- he has a real skill with this character and the Hyborian age.

So he is filling the gap between 'Iron Shadows' and 'Queen of the Black Coast' for the current series. Thats cool I've read the Chronicles of Conan reprints and some of my favorite stories in those are when Thomas fills the gaps between the Howard canonical stories. I think I'll pull out my Chronicles trades and see how he did it the first time. The mention of 'Queen of the black Coast' also makes me wonder if Dark Horse is planning on extending Conan's time with Belit like Thomas did in the '70s.

Also the really big news for me is that this is being drawn by Mike Hawthorne.
    Hawthorne is a great artist with really great story telling ability. After I read this I checked his blog- http://mikehawthorne.blogspot.com/
    Last week he posted a couple Conan drawings he did "for fun" that cheeky bastard.
    This book is going to be sweet.
    thomas to me was the second best conan writer only below howard himself

While I love some of Truman's older works (Hawkworld, Scout, Airboy), I have found his Conan quite lacking. I'm glad to see Dark Horse is finally giving Roy Thomas a chance to shine on the character he did so much to define for my generation of comic readers.
    Writer/editor of Metahuman Press
    New Super-Powered Fiction Every Week!

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

"Roy Thomas returns to Conan" are magic words that bring forth happiness! It's only the third time we've heard them uttered in the character's 30-ish year-long comic-book career, but the third time's the charm.

I am only chagrined that the current cancellation/restart cycle suggests sales on Conan aren't satisfactory. I would be sorry to see the series end for good prematurely.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

I haven't picked up any of the DH Conan's, but i was thinking about checking them out as I've been thoroughly enjoying tanking through the SSoC colections. I think I will most definitely be picking these up, it will be strange for me to read Conan in colour on modern lovely paper by Crom!
    Yeah, his stuff is great, his own work as well as the adaptations, I only have a few of the regular Marvel series from the late 70s, but always loved picking them up for a read. I wish they would collect those in TPB's like the cheap bumper B&W Marvel Essentials.
    But, I cannot complain, there are still another 4 SSoC collections I have still to pick up now that vol7 is to be released.

you can type stuff here

These restarts are getting tiresome. Its nothing more than quick boost for sales. When you place so low on the chart what is the point of trying to get higher than 115 or 130. Its not like you're making any solid case for long term plans regarding the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by mariayoursmotheringme View Post
    These restarts are getting tiresome. Its nothing more than quick boost for sales. When you place so low on the chart what is the point of trying to get higher than 115 or 130. Its not like you're making any solid case for long term plans regarding the franchise.

You're a whiny one aren't you?

It seems just plain dumb for a fan to suggest that a book doesn't do something to improve its sales.

"Conan, is 115 on the charts, what's the point?", just seems a very odd position to come from.

Oh well, I for one am looking forward to Roy getting back with my favorite barbarian.

this would also explain why dark horse is now reprinting the old king conan comic

Quote Originally Posted by rick View Post
    "Conan, is 115 on the charts, what's the point?", just seems a very odd position to come from.
    Marvel and DC taking up almost the entire top fifty comic book slots might have a little something to do with that. That's not Conan's fault. You can't tie him in to Blackest Night and Siege.

...thank God!

-Pistols