Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Red Sonja's 50th Issue Celebration

Writer Arvid Nelson and Associate Editor Joe Rybandt give CBR the lowdown on Sonja's big 50th issue blowout, how the celebration of all things Sonja came to be and a tease on the future of the She-Devil with a Sword.

Full article here.

I was wondering where issue #50 went, I was all when they skipped straight to Queen Sonja #1.

Oh well. More wild redheaded goodness
    "Call me Kid Flash - and get your big 'S' handed to you! The name's Impulse!"

Young Justice - accept no substitutes.

What with all those crap cheesecake poses? Usually, there are "warrior" poses and "cheesecake" poses. These are all cheesecake. And lousy cheesecake at that.

To be honest I think I'd only pick it up again if Roy Thomas was writing it !

Terry

Comics Ninja

Default #50

I was wondering were issue #50 went as well. Glad to see they are putting one together. As to the "cheescake" poses, keep them coming. Over at www.comicsninja.com we were considering making her the babe of the month for May. In honor of the 50th and last issue we may have to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Comics Ninja View Post
    I was wondering were issue #50 went as well. Glad to see they are putting one together. As to the "cheescake" poses, keep them coming. Over at www.comicsninja.com we were considering making her the babe of the month for May. In honor of the 50th and last issue we may have to do so.
    Yeah, because if there's something Red Sonja's been about, it's bad cheesecake. Seriously, do you guys have no standards? There's what Frank Cho does and then there's this crap.

Comics Ninja

Yes, we have standards but fortunately they are set very low...

www.comicsninja.com

you can type stuff here

At least this is coming sooner rather than later. Don't know what the record is for post humous issues to come out after a series has been canned, but I think some of the Blackest Night specials back in January 2010 could count. Not to mention that Ghost Rider issue Marvel published a couple months back.

Yeah, because if there's something Red Sonja's been about, it's bad cheesecake. Seriously, do you guys have no standards? There's what Frank Cho does and then there's this crap.

Yes, because all comics must be like Watchmen... *rolls eyes*

Sometimes I want to turn my brain off and look at the pretty spectacles, this is one of those times.

And by the way, I'm female.
    "Call me Kid Flash - and get your big 'S' handed to you! The name's Impulse!"

Young Justice - accept no substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbird View Post

Sometimes I want to turn my brain off and look at the pretty spectacles, this is one of those times.

I think his point is that the racks are full of that type of comic already. There is a space between Watchmen and Youngblood.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Cool Hey, all... What's up?

Quote Originally Posted by Comics Ninja View Post
    Yes, we have standards but fortunately they are set very low...
    Heh heh...

Quote Originally Posted by mariayoursmotheringme View Post
    At least this is coming sooner rather than later. Don't know what the record is for post humous issues to come out after a series has been canned...
    I actually just read that they plan on starting the Red Sonja title back up again, with a different creative team. I just can't remember where I read it. Maybe it was in the back of one my recent Green Hornet comics, or maybe it was online. Either way, I'm sure you'll hear news on it soon.

I'm a dude, and I'm not a fan of cheesecake at all. To each their own, of course. I did enjoy the Red-Sonja omnibus, and I plan on picking up some minis, because I do like the character. I'll be skipping Issue fifty though.

Still, in the preview pages here, it didn't look like gratuitous cheesecake to me...well, other than the fact that Sonja's got *really* huge breasts. Cheese to me is more of the pose, and cheesy angles.

Anyway, to all new posters here, thanks for visiting the Indy boards. Please stop in on us often, and spur some discussion about the great, smaller publishers out there.

-Pistols

Interesting article. I don't know if I'll buy two ongoing Sonja titles. We'll see though.

Damnit its long past due for Ed Benes to pencil a Red Sonja comic! I love his pinups of her so i'm insanely curious how it'd look for 20+ glorious pages from him.

And yes i'm a pervert who loves good tasteful cheesecake art

Fine. Then at least have some standards for it. Red Sonja was always good for at least two action hero covers to balance out the cheap cheesecake of the other two. Now it's all cheap cheesecake. This is a solid cover:

And do you think you missed that I was talking about covers and not content because you're a female or because you're Australian?

you can type stuff here

Apparently Issue #51 is coming and they're continuing the monthly series in July.

I find it strange, they just didn't relaunch at #1 with a fresh start and capitalize on any spike in sales they could. Reed's run isn't exactly the best thing to be reminded of. And even then, they could've started with a new #1 since he rebooted it..badly.

Makes me wonder about how long Queen Sonja will last or if it will end at #12. They'll just claim it was a maxi-series all along, like the forthcoming Roy Thomas Conan series. This business is pretty crazy.