Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Justice John Paul Stevens Retires!

From the LA Times

The timing of the news is a surprise: Stevens, 89, was expected to wait until after the Supreme Court's oral arguments conclude this month. He will leave when the court's term ends in June or July.

By James Oliphant
    April 9, 2010 | 8:09 a.m.
    E-mailPrint
    Text Size

Reporting from Washington
    Justice John Paul Stevens, a Republican-appointed justice who emerged as a leader of the Supreme Court's liberal wing over his 34-year tenure, announced his retirement Friday.

Stevens sent a letter to President Obama on Friday, which read: "Having concluded that it would be in the best interests of the Court to have my successor appointed and confirmed well in advance of the commencement of the Court's next term, I shall retire from active service."

The announcement was not a surprise, but the timing was. Stevens, 89, was widely expected to wait until after the high court's oral arguments concluded at the end of the month. He will step down when the court's term ends in June or July.

The White House has been preparing to fill Stevens' vacancy for months and, according to reports, appears to be focused on three candidates: Washington, D.C.-based federal appeals court Judge Merrick Garland, 57; Solicitor General Elena Kagan, 49; and Chicago federal appeals court Judge Diane Wood, 59.

The president may have to tread more cautiously with this nomination than he did last summer, when he chose federal appeals court Judge Sonia Sotomayor for the court, because Republicans, with 41 votes in the Senate, now have the power to filibuster a controversial choice.
    This is sad, but expected news. Stevens was a guiding light of the court, and deserves all our respect.

Let's hope Obama can pick the right person to replace him without a minority party throwing a great big hissy fit like they did the last time... well everytime.

What happened to that gang of fourteen who pushed through Bush's awful judiciary appointments?
    Last edited by Tommy; 04-09-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Let's pour a little out for the man's mad-pragmatic jurisprudence

Can Obama make recess appointments to SCOTUS? Because I think he might have to.
    Loo's Views: My Blog - Now being updated (at least occasionally!)

ZeroLife: And now listen to the podcast that embraces old and new games alike!

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    From the LA Times

This is sad, but expected news. Stevens was a guiding light of the court, and deserves all our respect.

Let's hope Obama can pick the right person to replace him without a minority party throwing a great big hissy fit like they did the last time... well everytime.

What happened to that gang of ten who pushed through Bush's awful judiciary appointments?
    Guess what, Schwuler:

"Americans can expect Senate Republicans to make a sustained and vigorous case for judicial restraint and the fundamental importance of an even-handed reading of the law," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a statement Thursday, not long after news of Stevens's retirement broke.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

prepare for the filibuster

Quote Originally Posted by bringthenoise View Post
    Can Obama make recess appointments to SCOTUS? Because I think he might have to.
    I think he can, but you get all the grief of being accused of appointing a radical, plus the grief for doing it without any "advice and consent", but instead of getting a lifetime appointment, you only get a one-year appointment, and then you have to go thru the confirmation process a year later anyway. Not a good plan.

Oh, and all this grief to not change the Court, because you're only replacing a relative-liberal with another relative-liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    prepare for the filibuster
    The Democrats need to force the filibuster, and force it old school. Allow the entire senate to shut down and not do any business until the filibuster is over. The longest filibuster at that point was only slightly over 75 hours.
    Last edited by Tommy; 04-09-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Obviously, this blue part here is the land...

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto X View Post
    I think he can, but you get all the grief of being accused of appointing a radical, plus the grief for doing it without any "advice and consent", but instead of getting a lifetime appointment, you only get a one-year appointment, and then you have to go thru the confirmation process a year later anyway. Not a good plan.

Oh, and all this grief to not change the Court, because you're only replacing a relative-liberal with another relative-liberal.
    John Paul Stevens is far from a relative-liberal. One of the potential nominees I've seen mentioned so far would pull the court dramatically to the right.

At least he waited until Bush came out of office. I'm not worried about this as Obama is going to make the pick no matter how this plays out.

Republican leadership, before the retirement was even official, already said they would filibuster anyone that was "too liberal." Since "too liberal" is defined as not agreeing 100% of the time with the GOP there will be a filibuster. Which is fine. The Democrats need to stop being afraid of it.

Even more important they need to make it so a filibuster requires more then what is essentially a declaration of intent and not much else. Get those old farts on the floor reading from a book for 24 hours, make it stressful and something that someone that only truly believes in what they are doing can committ to it. Right now the Republicans filibuster, not because they believe they are doing the right thing, but simply because they saw how saying "no" was effective in the 90s and figure it will be now especially with the realization that their base is really really really stupid. Hypocrisy doesn't mean anything when your dedicated voters are too stupid to recognize it.

No real chance of a filibuster as long as Obama nominates a well qualified person who is not very left wing.

The Senate contains too many independantly minded Republicans like Snowe, Collins and Lugar for a strong left leaning centerist not to be selected ala Sontomayor

He's been around since Jesus, let the man enjoy whatever time God has left for him on this earth, lol.
    "I am not only the Queen of Heaven, but also the Mother of Mercy."
    -Our Lady to Saint Faustina

The Democrats need to force the filibuster, and force it old school. Allow the entire senate to shut down and not do any business until the filibuster is over. The longest filibuster at that point was only slightly over 75 hours.
    Agreed...it's not like they'd do a lot in 75 hours anyway. It's just the Senate.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by David Wharton View Post
    No real chance of a filibuster as long as Obama nominates a well qualified person who is not very left wing.

The Senate contains too many independantly minded Republicans like Snowe, Collins and Lugar for a strong left leaning centerist not to be selected ala Sontomayor

You're forgetting that this is an election year.

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

The filibuster isn't what it used to be. The filibuster needs to be changed to go back to that old way.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page