Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Can the impact of a speedster's infinite mass punch surpass that of a Superman punch?

In the opening Hyperclan arc of Grant Morrison's JLA series, the Flash (Wally West) used what was called an infinite mass punch against the White Martian speedster Zum, sending Zum into orbit and crashing halfway around the world.

Needless to say, that's one hellacious punch. Do you think a speedster's infinite mass punch can match or even surpass the impact of a Superman punch?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 04-08-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

I think it can do more, because it works at a molecular level (I think).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OyPYa7SEI

I think it's fairly safe to say that there's an element of the Speed Force that still hasn't quite been fully tapped yet. Said element could easily overwhelm even Kryptonian strength.
    Locke & Key, Saga, Thief of Thieves

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRobin182 View Post
    I think it can do more, because it works at a molecular level (I think).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OyPYa7SEI
    Love that scene. Best of the entire show , and that was an awesome show.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Love that scene. Best of the entire show , and that was an awesome show.
    Oh, one of the best shows ever made. And yeah, this moment is up there with Superman punching Darkseid in the finale, amongst tons of other moments.

I think it's also important to note in this scene that probably none of the other league members could have taken Lexiac out. Even Superman punching him probably wouldn't have been able to do as much damage, and he definitely couldn't vibrate like that

Welcome to the Future. HeroxMatt2.0's Avatar

That's Justice League, right? The series before JLU?

And I would say an infinite mass punch could ... I mean, unless Superman could manage to punch someone at the speed of light, or faster, thus gaining a similar effect. But yeah - I don't think Supes could punch someone into orbit. With one punch.
    You are an apocalypse dreaming of butterflies
    and
    we are a patchwork of miracles.

The Flash can hit harder than Superman, in theory. It's fuzzy comic book physics.

Superman's strength comes from the sun, which is big an pretty much infinite, but there is only so much of that energy he can store in himself, even after a sundip. He has an upper limit.

The Flash's relativistic punches come from E = MC˛. C is constant. And considering that th Flash can go faster than light, E is essentially infinite, making his mass and thus the power of his punches also infinite.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

What's the explanation for his hands not breaking every time he punches?

Same explanation as to why friction doesn't burn him to a crisp or why the muscles in his legs don't simply turn to jelly or explode: Speed Force phlobotinum.
    Last edited by carabas; 04-09-2010 at 02:05 AM.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Default I do hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by HaroldAllnut View Post
    I think it's fairly safe to say that there's an element of the Speed Force that still hasn't quite been fully tapped yet. Said element could easily overwhelm even Kryptonian strength.
    I do hope not. The speed force doing more and more... for me it got more than a tad boring a fair while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroxMatt2.0 View Post
    That's Justice League, right? The series before JLU?

And I would say an infinite mass punch could ... I mean, unless Superman could manage to punch someone at the speed of light, or faster, thus gaining a similar effect. But yeah - I don't think Supes could punch someone into orbit. With one punch.
    Actually, it's the Season 1 finale of JLU. The rest of the league is tied up because the Watchtower is shut down and all the world's going to hell, so the original seven are the only one who are available to go fight Lexiac (as I like to call him).

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Same explanation as to why friction doesn't burn him to a crisp or why the muscles in his legs don't simply turn to jelly or explode: Speed Force phlobotinum.
    heehee did you just make up a word?
    It's warping me

may the Force be with you

In comics, sure... anything's possible. Throughout continuity or thematically? No.

Unless the feature film features an audience shocking/sealing infinite mass punch that lives on the mind of viewers, that will always be an ancillary use unfamiliar to people at large and less likely to be invoked by future writers. Johns made a decided decision to take Waid's Flash back to the streets, more or less, and we haven't seen a Flash use an IMP proper in quite some time (Zoom II was the last to use it that I can recall).

It's doubtful Johns is going to reverse course and let Barry use it either... and these next few issues (the ones where new readers jump on) are what build the foundation and perspective of the character for a long time to come (for example, most people know the first 2-6 issues of Man of Steel- the rest of the run fading into obscurity). People aren't going to think of Flash as someone who can bring that kind of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post

The Flash's relativistic punches come from E = MC˛. C is constant. And considering that th Flash can go faster than light, E is essentially infinite, making his mass and thus the power of his punches also infinite.
    Thats not where his energy comes from, thats rest energy. If flash could go faster than light, that equation would be totally meaningless.
    http://www.fightlockdown.com/
    Come visit us for mma related news and conversation

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    heehee did you just make up a word?
    I'ts a made up words (but then, aren't they all?), but I can't claim the credit.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...iedPhlebotinum

Quote Originally Posted by Jorriss View Post
    Thats not where his energy comes from, thats rest energy. If flash could go faster than light, that equation would be totally meaningless.
    Eh. I'ts how Grant Morrison explained it in the first arc of JLA. It's comics with a pseudo-scientific bent, not physics class.