Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Someone Will Die in "Kevin Smith's Green Hornet" #4

Dynamite Entertainment has released four different cover images for "Kevin Smith's Green Hornet" #4, which introduces the evil Black Hornet and promising that one character will die at the villain's hands.

Full article here.

Arrow The Green Promotion Machine

Character death = reader interest. For some anyway...

Typical, but if it was in the original script, I'm not mad at it. And that's a great way to promote the thing, I'd say. The girl Kato cover is the only one I don't care for, the rest look awesome.

And this looks good:
    With Kevin Smith's Green Hornet reaching mainstream attention on MTV and WWE.com, not to mention his own Twitter account currently at 1,661,616 followers, now is THE time to jump on the Green Hornet Bandwagon!
    Well, now or never. Make that $$$$

-Pistols

Smile Green Hornet:Someone will die

Finally got to sit down and finish #1 and #2. Despite earlier reservations I have to say so far so good.Only plot device that seemed forced was Britt dropping the line on the son's prior Kick boxing training,but what the heck. I suppose it moves things along for the son's takeover of the Green Hornet role. Unless of course.....it's the son's death Britt has to avenge! Now if only Dynamite could up the page count on Robocop or drop the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Finally got to sit down and finish #1 and #2. Despite earlier reservations I have to say so far so good.Only plot device that seemed forced was Britt dropping the line on the son's prior Kick boxing training,but what the heck. I suppose it moves things along for the son's takeover of the Green Hornet role. Unless of course.....it's the son's death Britt has to avenge! Now if only Dynamite could up the page count on Robocop or drop the price.
    My best guess, for The Big Death, is Britt Sr. I think both of the kids are survivng, and Kato Sr. hasn't been around since the opening of #1. FYI feel free to join us in The Green Hornet thread anytime you like. It actually covers the whole Green Hornet comic book launch, with breaks and spoiler notifications so you know when to skip stuff.

As far as RoboCop's page count, IIRC most comics are 24 pages (32 pages full color including eight pages of ads). So 21 pages doesn't strike me as being that short. But, spend your dough on what you think is worth it, of course.

-Pistols

Equals disinterest for me. Especially the way it's all hyped up. It's a licensed property. The death is only as permanent as Dynamite's license and it's nothing that hasn't been done before. Now Comics killed off a couple of Green Hornets when kicking off their series. So far, Smith's take has been a cliched retread.

Lightbulb Nothing new under the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post
    Equals disinterest for me. Especially the way it's all hyped up. It's a licensed property. The death is only as permanent as Dynamite's license and it's nothing that hasn't been done before.
    Sure...

Now Comics killed off a couple of Green Hornets when kicking off their series. So far, Smith's take has been a cliched retread.
    I haven't read any of the NOW series. I did enjoy reruns of the Bruce Lee/Van Williams show. Since I've jumped into the comics, and I'm enjoying them, I'll probably be listening to as many of the old radio serial shows that I can find, and tracking down the TV shows on DVD, but I doubt I'll be searching for the NOW stuff.

Kevin Smith's Green Hornet was based on his unproduced screenplay, and since it was originally intended to be onscreen, it feels less like a "retread" to me. IMHO, on the movie screen it would just be "respecting the source material".

But it is cliche. I agree with you, 100% there.

-Pistols

Default cliched

another.. huge.. recent cliche: Black Hornet??
    WTF is with all hed new comic book characters being just different versions of established? Black Lantern, Red Hulk, Dark Avengers.. come on now.. creators have tapped on character variants/evil version as a market and it just feels as old and tired as Bizarro

Default I'm with ya.

Quote Originally Posted by -=VNV=- View Post
    another.. huge.. recent cliche: Black Hornet??
    WTF is with all hed new comic book characters being just different versions of established? Black Lantern, Red Hulk, Dark Avengers.. come on now..
    I couldn't have said it better. I agree. But Red Hulk did sell, DA and Blackest Night are selling. I hate clones too, but people love X-23.

Shows you what I know.

-Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by TwinPistols View Post
    The girl Kato cover is the only one I don't care for, the rest look awesome.
    TP, Would it be alright if it was Bruce Lee in such a cover and not a girl Kato?

These were my idea and layouts and I knew this one would be received differently, but Dynamite went for it. So I'm wondering if it's just the perceived sexuality of it, or is it just the general composition and idea?

Thanks, btw, for the good word!

Lightbulb Can someone say, "spotlight"?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelNetzer View Post
    TP, Would it be alright if it was Bruce Lee in such a cover and not a girl Kato?

These were my idea and layouts and I knew this one would be received differently, but Dynamite went for it. So I'm wondering if it's just the perceived sexuality of it, or is it just the general composition and idea?
    Hey Michael;

No, it wasn't anything sexual at all, really. I just personally didn't care for Kato's pose. It was just the lean of her head and torso during the kick. There, I said it....I hate to even remotely try to critique stuff, but you made me.

Again, It was the only one I didn't like, with Green Hornet Sr. being my favorite cover.

Thanks, btw, for the good word!
    Ah, no biggie. Good work and we'll see you 'round.

-Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by TwinPistols View Post
    No, it wasn't anything sexual at all, really. I just personally didn't care for Kato's pose. It was just the lean of her head and torso during the kick. There, I said it....I hate to even remotely try to critique stuff, but you made me.
    I see what you mean and glad you said it, Checking my reference, I hadn't noticed how much I exaggerated the head a torso arcing back as I drew them. It's an instinct to sometimes push things a little past reality and give the drawing a special flavor, which can apparently be a little too much sometimes.

Ah, no biggie. Good work and we'll see you 'round.
    Most certainly! Thanks.