Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Getting Lost with Judd Winick: Part 1

In the first of a two-part interview, Judd Winick shared details about his new Jason Todd projects: the six-issue miniseries "Red Hood: Lost Days" for DC Comics and the "Batman: Under the Red Hood" animated film.

Full article here.

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

Winick just won major points with me. Good to know he has the book done. And I'm glad he likes Grant's version of Jason as well.
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

He kept making a point of how Jason is a "bad guy", almost feels like he is preparing us for something. I just hope it isn't anything similar to BFTC "bad guy", he works best as an anti-hero.

Winick's Jason is everything he should be. A snarky street kid, a manic robin and a lethal vigilante who can challenge Batman's moral issues by appealing to the paternal feelings Bruce has for his adopted son and the loss there of. There's a moral issue, an emotional issue and plenty of snappy dialogue and broad concepts of vengeance, love, betrayal and social commentary. Screw Harvey Dent, I Believe that Gotham needs a lethal vigilante to toe the line and a Batman to keep him in check.

I'm really glad it was Johns he namechecked: he did the best job with Jason apart from Winick himself. I don't mind Morrisons so much either, actually, he could be a lot worse. Just not keen on the aesthetic choices. As long as Winick keeps to him being a antihero and small case letters bad guy who kills when he deems it appropriate (aka not a child), then I am a happy fan. I enjoy Jason causing shit for people, as long as he's written right and I understand the motivations and that motivation isn't just taking Winick's "he's a bad guy" to an extreme. He's a bad guy, he's not an arkhamite psycho.

Bloody brilliant looking for the DVD and miniseries though, I can't wait for it.
    Last edited by taintedshimmer; 03-29-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taintedshimmer View Post
    I enjoy Jason causing shit for people, as long as he's written right and I understand the motivations and that motivation isn't just taking Winick's "he's a bad guy" to an extreme. He's a bad guy, he's not an arkhamite psycho.

Bloody brilliant looking for the DVD and miniseries though, I can't wait for it.
    I dunno, Winick himself wrote Jason running around with a duffle bag full of severed heads from criminals he'd killed.

Pretty psychotic.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taintedshimmer View Post
    Winick's Jason is everything he should be. A snarky street kid, a manic robin and a lethal vigilante who can challenge Batman's moral issues by appealing to the paternal feelings Bruce has for his adopted son and the loss there of. There's a moral issue, an emotional issue and plenty of snappy dialogue and broad concepts of vengeance, love, betrayal and social commentary. Screw Harvey Dent, I believe Gotham needs a lethal vigiante to toe the line and a Batman to keep him in check.

I'm really glad it was Johns he namechecked: he did the best job with Jason apart from Winick himself. I don't mind Morrisons so much either, actually, he could be a lot worse. Just not keen on the aesthetic choices. As long as Winick keeps to him being a antihero and small case letters bad guy who kills when he deems it appropriate (aka not a child), then I am a happy fan. I enjoy Jason causing shit for people, as long as he's written right and I understand the motivations and that motivation isn't just taking Winick's "he's a bad guy" to an extreme. He's a bad guy, he's not an arkhamite psycho.

In 100% agreement with everything said here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiryu View Post
    I dunno, Winick himself wrote Jason running around with a duffle bag full of severed heads from criminals he'd killed.

Pretty psychotic.
    There's a difference between lopping peoples heads off because they were born on the 2nd of the month or you want to make them laugh than chopping them off as a message to stop dealers from selling to children.

Quote Originally Posted by FailureByDesign View Post
    He kept making a point of how Jason is a "bad guy", almost feels like he is preparing us for something. I just hope it isn't anything similar to BFTC "bad guy", he works best as an anti-hero.
    Hmm. Winick did use the term anti-hero repeatedly to describe Jason, so that's a plus.

Winick's Jason is everything he should be. A snarky street kid, a manic robin and a lethal vigilante who can challenge Batman's moral issues by appealing to the paternal feelings Bruce has for his adopted son and the loss there of. There's a moral issue, an emotional issue and plenty of snappy dialogue and broad concepts of vengeance, love, betrayal and social commentary. Screw Harvey Dent, I Believe that Gotham needs a lethal vigilante to toe the line and a Batman to keep him in check.

Exactly. I can't wait to see an explanation of why he uses the dagger he does. Hopefully we get that.

And Brian Azzarello writing Jason? That would be glorious.

Default Jason fan

I have always liked Jason.

Jason wasn't troubled when we was first introduced. He was Dick Grayson 2.0.

Post Batman 400, with the COIE retcon, he became the angry street kid. Even then, he had his moments: e.g. his apparent murder of a crminal (rapist? definitely an abuser of women) and telling Batman "he fell". Sadly "angry Jason" lasted less than 3 years. Frank Miller had made it safe to kill Robin-just not "the real Robin".

I am glad that he is back. The only thing I don't like I about the resurrected Todd is the the Superboy punch. I blame DC for that, not Winnick. If he stays an anti-hero, I will definitely be along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by benicio127 View Post
    Exactly. I can't wait to see an explanation of why he uses the dagger he does. Hopefully we get that.
    I love the kris. I'd love to know.

Just to get off topic for a second. Did you guys notice that on the DVD cover for the Red Hood, there was a pic of Jonah Hex and that it looked like the Spectre Short did on JL: Crisis on Two- Earths.

I think the DVD has the possibility of being the best of the bunch, and finally a strait forward batman story. Jason's a great character, but I'm kinda partial since this was the 1st batman arc I recall buying since Knightfall.

Yeah a Jonah Hex short to boot, this should be great.

Upon its announcement I decided to trade-wait this, but the interview has me pretty excited! I just may have to pick up the singles now...

A little unity of vision always impresses me - so Judd liking Morrison's update is pretty cool. I've hoped all along that we see Jason dying his hair at some point during Lost Days. (At any rate, Morrison is definitely a "writer's writer" so DC writers probably all tend to love what he brings.)

Anyway, Grant took "Jason wants to be a better vigilante than Batman" directly from Judd, and the love/hate with Grayson and hate/hate with Drake remained true (Including his meeting Damian and the tone of yet another Robin).

If Judd takes anything back from what Grant did, I hope it's that kind of embracing of the fact that Jason has now been "born" from both Batman & Robin, and the Joker. He owes his current incarnation to both of them. And it's sort of ingenious that he stole Joker's original identity because it's the PERFECT codename and costume design to reflect those origins.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com