Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best ways to store comic books?

Alright, as it stands i've been storing my comics in milk crates that i've bottomed with foam. My comic book collection is constantly expanding (i've got 200+ comics in the mail coming to me right now) and the milk crates are starting not to work out. I know most use longboxes, but i would like to get a storage medium that is more durable than cardboard and something that would protect my comics a bit more than cardboard/the crates i currently have em in.

I was thinking maybe a filing cabinet of sorts, but i'm not sure. I would like to get something that is more vertical than horizontal, after all i'm in a fairly small apartment and don't have much room to expand.

So, friends of CBR, what's your thoughts? I could really use the help!
    Every man is guilty of the good he did not do.

Have you checked your local hardware store? I found a metal cabinet with "wooden" shelves that's a yard wide and 16" long. It stands about 5' tall and can store ~4 shortboxes per shelf. I'd check into that if I were you.

http://comiccubes.com

Pricey but you have to admit it looks sexy

Longboxes are pretty sturdy actually. You can stack them four high. If you don't like the cardboard variety they do make corrugated plastic ones too. If yous till need something even more sturdy they make solid wood cabinets especially for holding comic books.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

i just pile my comic books in bookshelfs.
    So far that have worked to me.
    I decided to not have my comics in boxes because i keep re-reading some comic books again so i prefer to my comics to be more accessible.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

I've started to just buy the magazine-sized mylar bags, fill them up with about 20 comics and then put them on a shelf like I would a book or a tpb.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cadehugue View Post
    i have created a special self for keeping my comics, and as the comic grows i make another story on top of the self and the process goes on.
    Multiple personalities as a means to store reading material?
    You should get that patented.
    Last edited by the4thpip; 06-16-2010 at 02:27 AM.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

This is where one would really value "Scrooge McDuck" money safe for storing comics
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

I tend to buy the golden- or silver-age bags and fill them with 5-6 books. With all the card-stock covers a board isn't even really necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I've started to just buy the magazine-sized mylar bags, fill them up with about 20 comics and then put them on a shelf like I would a book or a tpb.
    Pulling for: HATE!; League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; Doktor Sleepless; S.H.I.E.L.D.; Sergio Aragones Funnies; The Manhattan Projects; MIND MGMT; Nightcrawler

Alright, i'm not overly keen on the longboxes, but it seems to be my best bet.

And i don't have a local hardware store, heh.
    Every man is guilty of the good he did not do.

hi , i'm new here and i just want to ask , my comics collection is collected in filing cabinet , does this type of storing is safe ? what is the negative effect of storing comics in filing cabinet ? do i have to open the cabinet each week so the air could be circulated ??

thanks

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I keep my comics stored in trunks. The type that will hold 500-700+ comics . I can stack things on them like CD racks and other things . The only drawback is they are super heeeavvvy. Really heavy. You ever go to move them ya need to empty them 1st and then move em.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I like that idea. That would work well with all the Blackest Night books.

Since I just starting collecting/reading again about 1 yr ago, I don't even have 1/2 of a short box filled. But I don't even bother with bags/boards b/c I for enjoyment and don't expect them to be worth anything. I may keep some #1's or whatnot in a bag/board, but not the rest. Plus, I even though bags/boards don't cost much, if I don't use them from my LCS it'll help their expenses and its less waste. My trades/hardcovers are all on a shelf though.
    Last edited by Skib; 06-15-2010 at 07:41 AM.

at my house?
    The Gurnee Comic and toy show returns Sept 9th at the Gurnee Holiday Inn. Bigger room, more stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I keep my comics stored in trunks. The type that will hold 500-700+ comics . I can stack things on them like CD racks and other things . The only drawback is they are super heeeavvvy. Really heavy. You ever go to move them ya need to empty them 1st and then move em.
    I store mine the same way. I NEVER tell movers what's inside!