Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orc Stain

Default Orc Stain

I went to the shop today to pick up the same old books and was pleasantly surprised to find Orc Stain #2 had come out today (after a bit of a wait). I don't know enough about comics in general to state that Orc Stain isn't derivative of something else, but it is unlike anything I've seen before. I love the artwork, the writing and most of all the universe (sort of like the Flinstones meet Sin City). Does anyone else share my enthusiasm for the title?

I loooooved #1 and have been waiting patiently for more. James Stokoe's stuff is great. Also check out his Wonton Soup books, they are great as well. Of course Orc Stain also has those crazy colors, so it has a leg up there.

If you like this, you should also check out King City, also being put out by Image. Both are awesome; one in the fantasy realm (O.S.) and one in the Sci-Fi realm (K.C.), but both with the same sensibilities.

LOVE 'EM!
    Geek Brunch Podcast - comics, TV, movies, and delicious, delicious food.

unwshd & smwht slitly dzd Schmakt's Avatar

I was extremely luke warm (is that like being extra medium?) on this title after reading the first issue. I'll stick with it for a little bit, but for now it's just kind of ho-hum for me.
    No one responds to street art anymore.
    People tend to respond to things like loaded guns in their faces.

That and celebrity spokesmodels.

I thought issue #2 was just great (in a vulgar and f-ed up kind of way). I reviewed it on my blog in case anyone cares.

http://bit.ly/ccRyLl

What kind of comics is it ? How would you sell this series to a new reader ?
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

I'm not sure if this is a new reader friendly comic or not (as I'm not a new reader). What I can say is that it has a very vulgar sense of humor. I kind of dig that. Plus the artistic design is just really great. I often read my comics and don't stare at the pictures too much. But in Orc Stain, you find yourself pausing to stare at the pictures and you're spending a lot of time just trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Like, "Is he really absorbing the power of that tree through his junk?????"
    I write a few reviews/week for:
    weeklycomicbookreview.com

My comic review blog (for whatever I don't get to review at WCBR):
    allthiscrap.blogspot.com

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    What kind of comics is it ? How would you sell this series to a new reader ?
    Owes a lot to Heavy Metal comics from the 70s and Vaughn Bode. Think of it like a vulgar take on Lord of the Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by dfstell View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a new reader friendly comic or not (as I'm not a new reader). What I can say is that it has a very vulgar sense of humor. I kind of dig that. Plus the artistic design is just really great. I often read my comics and don't stare at the pictures too much. But in Orc Stain, you find yourself pausing to stare at the pictures and you're spending a lot of time just trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Like, "Is he really absorbing the power of that tree through his junk?????"
    No i'm not new to comics i meant what would be interesting for someone who might want to start reading the series. A new reader to Orc Stain.

I have alot of respect for image today and looking for new fav series by them.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Yeah, I am loving Orc Stain as well. I have been anticipating issue #2 for a long time now (well, it feels like a long time). It is in the mail so I should be getting it soon. Orc Stain, King City and Chew are my favorite new comics that I have read recently. There is a lot of talent and great stuff concentrated at Image these days. Wonton Soup is great too, after reading Orc Stain #1 I picked up both volumes and I have to say James Stokoe is definitely one of my new favorite talents.
    Last edited by skaldicpoet9; 04-09-2010 at 01:21 PM.

BANNED

Orc Stain is SO RAD. I want it tattooed on my face.

^ Ha! The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the back cover to #1 was, "I wonder how long it'll be before someone turns that into a tattoo."

I'm really digging ORC STAIN so far.

This book is incredible. It completely immerses you into the world. Has a very Akira Toryama vibe which I love, since he's one of my favorite storytellers. The coloring is simply phenomenal, and the fact that it's a 1 man project is so inspiring.

I will join onto the love train here. This books is solid on all fronts. A very very welcome and pleasant surprise. I would agree on how it fits in with the Heavy Metal scheme.

So I went to a LCS today near where I work andthey had a lot of independent titles. My LCS near home where I have my pull list doesn't really carry anything from smaller publishers other than major titles like Witchblade or franchises like GIJoe and Star Wars. I was looking through the shelves and I saw Orc Stain. I had read on here that it was really good and I picked it up and looked at it. Needless to say that I purchased all 3 issues in one go and read them a few hours later. This book is so original I don't even know how to describe it. I was a little nervous about whether I was going to really like it or not but after reading it I am completely sold. This is getting put on my pull list and I can't wait to see how this truly fascinating world is explored.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaCee View Post
    ^ Ha! The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the back cover to #1 was, "I wonder how long it'll be before someone turns that into a tattoo."

I'm really digging ORC STAIN so far.
    I think the back covers of #2 or #3 would make a better tat than the back cover of #1 but that's just me. I really like the back cover art and the inside front cover with the credits also. Great book!