Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One thing good about M-Day...

The one thing good about M-Day is that now mutants are back to being a minority again (although I would have preferred they kept popular characters with interesting personalities & powers intact, and get rid of the weaker characters with powers we've already seen). In addition this helps writers create new superheroes & the origin of their powers without falling on the clutch of "mutant" as the easy way out

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

They never weren't a minority. Even if we buy what was said during Morrison's run, there were only 32 million of them worldwide. That's enough that it would be very possible to never, ever meet one. For instance, I've never met anyone from Morocco.

I've never really seen a creative difference between "I was bitten by a radioactive spider, and my body started doing weird, inhuman things" and "My body just started doing weird, inhuman things when I was a teenager." To be honest, I think this is the main reason I prefer mutants to the other Marvel people. I wouldn't mind it a bit if they came out and said everybody, from the Hulk to Dr. Strange, was a mutant.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post

I've never really seen a creative difference between "I was bitten by a radioactive spider, and my body started doing weird, inhuman things" and "My body just started doing weird, inhuman things when I was a teenager." To be honest, I think this is the main reason I prefer mutants to the other Marvel people. I wouldn't mind it a bit if they came out and said everybody, from the Hulk to Dr. Strange, was a mutant.
    You should read Earth X

M-Day should have stripped the lesser known characters of their powers and not people like quicksilver, moonstar or rictor. Keep 198 mutants but they should all be the most important.
    NÓS SÓ QUEREMOS O BENFICA CAMPEÃO

the frozen tundra of "not upstate" New York

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    They never weren't a minority. Even if we buy what was said during Morrison's run, there were only 32 million of them worldwide. That's enough that it would be very possible to never, ever meet one. For instance, I've never met anyone from Morocco.
    Either way, the minority is always those who aren't in power, whether it's defined by class, race, sexuality, genetics, etc. Minority is rarely defined by actual numbers.
    X-Boards Have Taste V

XPOTM: May 2010

pff, pryde -- teddy

Quote Originally Posted by darkwolf View Post
    M-Day should have stripped the lesser known characters of their powers and not people like quicksilver, moonstar or rictor. Keep 198 mutants but they should all be the most important.
    That doesn't make sense from an in-story perspective. Only depowered the "unimportant" characters is a cop-out. Also, someone who is not important to you may be really important to someone else. For example, I don't think it's fair that Stacy X lost her powers when Colossus got to keep his.
    XPOTM:September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by tlp0708 View Post
    Either way, the minority is always those who aren't in power, whether it's defined by class, race, sexuality, genetics, etc. Minority is rarely defined by actual numbers.
    And they have to represent some kind of threat to the majority (physical, political or ideological) if I learned anything from Colin Firth's character in A Single Man.

There were still a lot of interesting characters that should have kept their powers just because they were really different in their power-set. They may not ever go anywhere up the ranks but I'd like to reward creativity with powers. I mean you could come up with some interesting stories based around their powers.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwolf View Post
    First time posting on the X-Board I feel like I am about to enter a fun sub category of geekdom

But I think depowering Rictor was the best thing to happen to the character and Quicksilver's greatest story is probably Son of M.

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    First time posting on the X-Board I feel like I am about to enter a fun sub category of geekdom

But I think depowering Rictor was the best thing to happen to the character and Quicksilver's greatest story is probably Son of M.
    Agreed.

Pietro became one of my favourite characters after Son of M.

And if he had kept his powers then the ending to House of M would have sucked.

*Waits for people to say it sucked anyway*

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post

I actually have to agree here, on both points. Those two (as well as Dani) have seen the absolute best use as depowered characters. All three have gotten some great stories out of it, unlike......well......pretty much everything else related to the Decimation. Most of the X-franchise has missed the mark, in terms of handling M-Day.

On the other hand, it does drive me nuts that people think M-Day "made mutants a minority again". They were a minority before, and a realistically proportioned one. 16 million might SOUND like a huge number, but that is actually a very tiny percentage of the world's population. Less than 2% of the population, if memory serves. Where as a little over 200 worldwide is such a small number that it borders on ridiculous.

And the handling has kind of gone in the opposite direction of the stated "streamline the franchise, too many mutants" idea. Instead of the idea that there are millions of mutants worldwide, most of which we will never encounter.....we have a little over 200, stuffed on a single island. Every vague character we'd heard of once has emerged from the woodwork to be one of the 198, and many mutant characters have been reduced to wallpaper.

Putting the numbers into perspective a bit more.

Pre-Decimation mutant population (worldwide): roughly the population of a major city
    Post-Decimation mutant population (worldwide): attendance of a small private school

Your average high school has around 1000+ students. There are not even enough mutants in the world to make up the student body of a single high school. And that is even without dividing them up further by whether or not they're Alpha/Superhero grade. Most mutants aren't superhero grade in terms of their powers.
    Last edited by harostar; 03-13-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Decimation was a bit of fun but now it's well and truly boring. Mutants need to go back to being a threat and the only way they can do that is if they are returned to the original metaphor or race/sexual orientation that made them both a minority and a fasinating concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Decimation was a bit of fun but now it's well and truly boring. Mutants need to go back to being a threat and the only way they can do that is if they are returned to the original metaphor or race/sexual orientation that made them both a minority and a fasinating concept.
    Agreed. As much as I haven't enjoyed it overall, there have been some good stories to come out of it. But it really has run it's course and choked the life out of the franchise. They need to return to the heart of what made it such an appealing concept -- a metaphor for minorities, with the sense of potential and how anyone, anywhere, could turn out to be a mutant.

house of m and decimation wasn't about stan lee's creation the x-men...it was about what marvel wanted...

just like the clone saga...
    XPOTM: APRIL 2012

be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth...

i'm lost...i've gone to look for myself...if i should return before i get back -- please ask me to wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    That doesn't make sense from an in-story perspective. Only depowered the "unimportant" characters is a cop-out. Also, someone who is not important to you may be really important to someone else. For example, I don't think it's fair that Stacy X lost her powers when Colossus got to keep his.

Yea i agree , the event would have lost all impact if only the known and used characters would have kept there powers and the characters whose hardly ever used anyway to be the only one that looses them. There wouldn,t be any impact or dramatic effect long term. The fact that you can take a few known characters like Quicksilver and shows what happens to them now that they lost there powers gives relevance so the event itself and a x verse standard. If no known characters would have lost there powers would people even still be talking about m day now??? It was a supposed to be a big change in the mutant universe for that to happen it had to effect known characters.. if not whats the point in even doing it. I think more known characters should have been effected at least temporarily, i would love to see what would happen to beast if he lost his mutant looks for a while.. would he even want to search for a cure??