Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Allie and Samnee on "Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale"

Dark Horse editor Scott Allie and artist Chris Samnee discuss "Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale," an original graphic novel revealing the origins of "Firefly's" mysterious preacher as co-written by Joss and Zack Whedon.

Full article here.

That guy who signs in every month to complain that Dark Horse isn't releasing this yet should be happy.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

We wanted to shift the style of the series with this and the Wash one-shot by Patton Oswalt and Patric Reynolds. We did great stuff with Will Conrad on the first two miniseries, but we wanted to take 'Serenity' in a bit of a more stylized direction, make a different kind of artistic statement with the styles[.]
    Frickin' SOLD. I tried to read the two minis, but found Conrad's art distracting -- I don't like the slavish attention to the actors' likenesses. I really like the preview pic in the article; he's identifiable as a young Book, but he's not Ron Glass.

I'll probably wait for the paperback, but I'm looking forward to this very much.

November is a long way off.

I can't wait though.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

About damn time.

Been waiting for this since before Better Days came out.
    "Everyone knows the Spider-Man board pays people to bus mentally I'll homeless people to public libraries so they can log onto the Internet to berate Steve Wacker." - darknessatnoon

Gorram it, November? That's a ruttin' long time to wait. Still, it should be great. Chris Samnee did great work on The Mighty, so I'm really looking forward to his art here.

And Patton's one-shot should be good, too. I really wish the man had more time to write comics.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

Sweet!

I've been anxiously awaiting the explanation of Book's past, so this is great! However, it also means that any further film treatment of the property is out, as this was meant to be the plot of a sequel, from what I understand.

So, I'm bummed that we probably won't have any more Firefly movies, but the film was as good a send-off as one could've hoped for, and at least now the Shepherd's past will be delved into.

So a , followed by & !!

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Frickin' SOLD. I tried to read the two minis, but found Conrad's art distracting -- I don't like the slavish attention to the actors' likenesses. I really like the preview pic in the article; he's identifiable as a young Book, but he's not Ron Glass.

I'll probably wait for the paperback, but I'm looking forward to this very much.
    I actually quite liked Conrad's art, and I do wish that he was on art again (not a big fan of Samnee's simplistic art, but he can do emotion, which is always good).

And actually, the Shepherd Book comic is a graphic novel, not a monthly, so no tradewaiting necessary.
    Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, we're only mortal. - Jean-Luc Picard

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - The Guide

I just realized that this comic is going to be taking place before the War Of Unification. So may be we could see exactly who or what sparked it. I'm guessing it was probably some statesman or philosopher.

I'm super excited about this. A Book book (hehe) is just what I'd like.