Page 97 of 176 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2632

Thread: Game of Thrones

  1. #1441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    There was never a main character.
    There was always Jon Snow in the Wall, Tyrion was running around getting into trouble, Daenerys hanging out with the Dothraki, etc. Ed Stark was the catalyst to a lot of stuff happening in the first season so this may be that this dude is referring to but all that stuff is still in motion, there is no need for some one else to start anything. You are now in the middle of the ride.
    Well, when the story started out, Jon Snow wasn't at the wall, and I believe it took awhile to see Tyrion's point of view. It seemed pretty clear that Ned and his children were intended to be the "good guys." So people who are used to fantasy books understandably assumed that Ned was the main character. After he died, there was no more confusion on that front.

    The first book is filled with so many turning points where you think "if only that character hadn't done that one thing, everything wouldn't have gone so bad." And I think Ned's execution is the biggest one.

    Though I always think how if only the singer Marillion hadn't approached Tyrion Lannister in the Crossroads Inn, he wouldn't have noticed Catelyn Stark, and she wouldn't have taken Tyrion prisoner, and the war wouldn't have happened...
    Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com

  2. #1442
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,936

    Default

    wow surprised to see a black guy in this world. Are there actually black people in the books or did HBO just cast this dude as the pirate regardless.


    Overall an interesting episode setting up a lot of things. I was surprised by the amount of sex in this episode, but than again this is HBO.

    Tyrion is definitely my favorite character right now.


  3. #1443
    Elder Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Posts
    20,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    wow surprised to see a black guy in this world. Are there actually black people in the books or did HBO just cast this dude as the pirate regardless.


    Overall an interesting episode setting up a lot of things. I was surprised by the amount of sex in this episode, but than again this is HBO.

    Tyrion is definitely my favorite character right now.
    The Summer Islands are populated are populated by a race of black people, i think we even saw Jalabhar Xho, an exiled summer island prince in the first season...or did he get left out of the show? I can't remember.

    They're in the books though.

  4. #1444
    Senior Member Blueferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Not sure about Asha/Yava. She didn't look anything like I expected and was rather plain.

  5. #1445
    Senior Member Davideaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Ser Dontos, the fat drunk at the start of the show, had an armor very reminiscent of Captain America, i.e. the red, white, blue and stars and bars.

    Did anyone else notice this? Were the writers commenting on how bloated and drunk the United States has become? j/k... maybe
    Last edited by Davideaux; 04-08-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    I could sleep all day.

  6. #1446
    Junior Member Groot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Planet X
    Posts
    381

    Default

    There is a whole culture of black people in the Summer Isles who are great with bows and arrows. I think Sallador is supposed to be from the free city of Lys but I suppose immigration in Essos is common enough, hence the "free" part and how one of the main merchants of Qarth is a black dude now.

    There was maybe 5 minutes of compiled sex/nudity in an hour long show, it wasn't so bad. The cumface thing surprised me a bit, but the actress in question is an actual porn girl and is used to real loads in the face.

    Arya is awesome as always. Jaqen seems okay. I'm deliriously pissed they've gone subtle with Rorge and Biter.
    The Tyrion/Slynt scene was amazing. I'm okay with Bronn taking Jacelyn's place, a good change. Cersei was cold as ice with her "biggest joke" monologue.
    Stannis the mannis is charmingly autistic. I guess that is where spoilers:
    shadow babies
    end of spoilers comes from.
    The Iron Islands are absolutely amazing, as is Balon. I never expected Yara to be a bombshell, she was never described as anything special apart from the fierceness of her character.
    I'm loving Davos but he seems too high born for me. I expected more of a cockney type who is conscious of his lowliness and making efforts to be a better version of himself. In any case he is awesome in the show.
    Ghost looked amazing. Can't believe how huge he is and it mostly looks natural. spoilers:
    I like that we see Craster's sacrifice. It just makes me wonder what good White Walkers get from babies. I'm guessing it is used for some sort of wizardry? I'm guessing Quorin will save the day... I honestly can't imagine how they will resolve Jon seeing such a thing.
    end of spoilers

    All in all it was a much better paced episode than the last, I'm really looking forward to next week.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-08-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: [spoil][/spoil] tags

  7. #1447

    Default

    Interesting note that came from a convo with a friend of mine, they haven't really touched very much on Jon Snow's parentage in the show at all. I don't even think half of the popular theory has been mentioned by name yet.
    Funding the Kryptonite - A Blog Where Supervillainy Meets Good Business

  8. #1448
    Senior Member Titan76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueferret View Post
    Not sure about Asha/Yava. She didn't look anything like I expected and was rather plain.
    She was never good looking to begin with. I thought she would have Ayra's new look, or something similar to it.

    My only complaint is Dany had one very short scence and nothing really change. They killed off one her bloodriders, for no reason and she is still stuck in the red waste. I thought that was going to be her BL taking her to the place she will go to later in the season. I don't having any idea of what that scence was suppose to represent or why they even had it.

  9. #1449
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    This episode was a humorous episodes, there are good number of spots that made me laugh.
    But for some strange reason i thought that there were too many sex scene which was weird because... you know...why would THAT be too much. I guess i am so much into what is going on that the random scenes that lead to nowhere i consider a waste of time.
    Hbo loves putting uneeded sex into it's shows, its sort of a tradition.

  10. #1450
    Senior Member Titan76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,412

    Default

    It's spoil not spoiler.

  11. #1451
    Senior Member Titan76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Funding The Kryptonite View Post
    Interesting note that came from a convo with a friend of mine, they haven't really touched very much on Jon Snow's parentage in the show at all. I don't even think half of the popular theory has been mentioned by name yet.
    That's because his parentage isn't talk about in the books either. He is never ask who his mother is.

  12. #1452
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Groot View Post
    There is a whole culture of black people in the Summer Isles who are great with bows and arrows. I think Sallador is supposed to be from the free city of Lys but I suppose immigration in Essos is common enough, hence the "free" part and how one of the main merchants of Qarth is a black dude now.

    There was maybe 5 minutes of compiled sex/nudity in an hour long show, it wasn't so bad. The cumface thing surprised me a bit, but the actress in question is an actual porn girl and is used to real loads in the face.

    Arya is awesome as always. Jaqen seems okay. I'm deliriously pissed they've gone subtle with Rorge and Biter.
    The Tyrion/Slynt scene was amazing. I'm okay with Bronn taking Jacelyn's place, a good change. Cersei was cold as ice with her "biggest joke" monologue.
    Stannis the mannis is charmingly autistic. I guess that is where spoilers:
    shadow babies
    end of spoilers comes from.
    The Iron Islands are absolutely amazing, as is Balon. I never expected Yara to be a bombshell, she was never described as anything special apart from the fierceness of her character.
    I'm loving Davos but he seems too high born for me. I expected more of a cockney type who is conscious of his lowliness and making efforts to be a better version of himself. In any case he is awesome in the show.
    Ghost looked amazing. Can't believe how huge he is and it mostly looks natural. spoilers:
    I like that we see Craster's sacrifice. It just makes me wonder what good White Walkers get from babies. I'm guessing it is used for some sort of wizardry? I'm guessing Quorin will save the day... I honestly can't imagine how they will resolve Jon seeing such a thing.
    end of spoilers

    All in all it was a much better paced episode than the last, I'm really looking forward to next week.

    Wel the show is around 50 minutes so thats a good 10%. maybe its the fact that I'm home for Easter and was watching this with my parents and my dad kept commenting on it every sex scene, but I'll say he had a point I don't remember this many scenes being in season 1. Not really a critique just commenting.

    Who is the porn girl you are referring to? Did you realize this when you first saw her or did you look it up?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-08-2012 at 10:50 PM.


  13. #1453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan76 View Post
    That's because his parentage isn't talk about in the books either. He is never ask who his mother is.
    Yes, in the book itself the characters don't. But readers do because of the information given. That same info is largely gone from the show.
    Funding the Kryptonite - A Blog Where Supervillainy Meets Good Business

  14. #1454
    Senior Member Titan76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Funding The Kryptonite View Post
    Yes, in the book itself the characters don't. But readers do because of the information given. That same info is largely gone from the show.
    The info readers get mostly came from Ned and I don't think the writers care to get into fans theories on who are Jon's parents.

  15. #1455
    Junior Member Groot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Planet X
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Wel the show is around 50 minutes so thats a good 10%. maybe its the fact that I'm home for Easter and was watching this with my parents and my dad kept commenting on it every sex scene, but I'll say he had a point I don't remember this many scenes being in season 1. Not really a critique just commenting.

    Who is the porn girl you are referring to? Did you realize this when you first saw her or did you look it up?
    Unless you have a real comfortable relationship with your parents this certainly isn't family viewing. I just feel like people focus on it too much. Seems like some get more worked up over some gratuitous sex then they do the slaughter of babies. Plus some act like it is 50 minutes of softcore porn when it is 3-4 scenes and the first episode just had a glimpse of breast. Anyways no I didn't know the actress at all. She is the one from last season's sexposition scene with Ros and Littlefinger and she is the one who was wiped down tonight, her name is Sahara Knite. Shae is also a porn actress.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •