Page 1 of 176 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Default Game of Thrones

I am damn excited about this, I love George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books. HBO greenlights the show, and here's the the full cast.

I had a feeling that's who they were going to go to for Tyrion Lannister, I hope he does a good job. When I read that Lena Headey was cast a few days ago I just assumed she'd be Catelyn Stark, but I'm sure she'll be a good Cersei. I'd say they cast Arya Stark well, at first glance I could've sworn that was a boy. Not sure about Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon, he's certainly got the belly girth but I imagined him as a more imposing figure. Ah well, hope he proves me wrong and kicks arse.

No Stannis or Renly I notice, were they in the first book? Can't remember.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-02-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

"Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    I am damn excited about this, I love George R. R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice books. HBO greenlights the show, and here's the the full cast.

I had a feeling that's who they were going to go to for Tyrion Lannister, I hope he does a good job. When I read that Lena Headey was cast a few days ago I just assumed she'd be Catelyn Stark, but I'm sure she'll be a good Cersei. I'd say they cast Arya Stark well, at first glance I could've sworn that was a boy. Not sure about Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon, he's certainly got the belly girth but I imagined him as a more imposing figure. Ah well, hope he proves me wrong and kicks arse.

Renly was, but Stannis doesn't appear until the 2nd book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    Renly was, but Stannis doesn't appear until the 2nd book.
    Thanks. Very curious who they'll go to for Stannis when the time comes.
    Conn Seanery

"Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

I am damn excited about this, I love George R. R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice books. HBO greenlights the show, and here's the the full cast.

Bear in mind the cast is only for the pilot episode (though I'm sure they're all signed to go ahead with the full series, too). The pilot episode doesn't cover the full first book.

So basically there are a good number of characters that they didn't need to cast just yet, but now will have to for later episodes in the first season. Renly will probably be among those, and Ser Loras Tyrell, Gregor Clegane, etc...

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

So it could be Rome with occasional dragons and snow zombies.

This could go well (I'm curious as to why they've chosen Belfast to film - Czech locations seem popular with fantasy films)

It's just a ride... twitchinmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post
    Bear in mind the cast is only for the pilot episode (though I'm sure they're all signed to go ahead with the full series, too). The pilot episode doesn't cover the full first book.

So basically there are a good number of characters that they didn't need to cast just yet, but now will have to for later episodes in the first season. Renly will probably be among those, and Ser Loras Tyrell, Gregor Clegane, etc...
    Lot of key roles yet to be cast, Littlefinger, Lysa Arryn, Bronn, Walder Frey, Everybody up at the Wall, and, of course, the single most important role in the whole series... HODOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post
    You honestly assumed I thought they would condense the entire first book into the pilot? Just how stupid do you think I am?

I get that, it's just been a while since I read the first book and I couldn't remember if Renly or Stannis were in it (or how early/late they were introduced).
    Conn Seanery

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Do they intend to follow the books or just do a show inspired by the books? Given how much TV shows depend on a regular and familiar cast I'm not sure how well the show could do since half the cast will die at some point, especially the character played by spoilers:
    Sean Bean
    end of spoilers who dies in the very 1st book. I can't imagine that anyone reading this thread wouldn't have read the 1st book but just in case I'm using the spoil text.

I also think the actor playing Jon Snow looks far too young. I can't remember how old he is supposed to be in the 1st book other than he's a teen but I always tend to envision him as an older teen and that actor looks 12 at best.

And I can't remember but isn't Cersei a blonde? I always envisioned Emma Frost when picturing her for some reason so I'm having a hard time seeing Lena Headey playing her unless she dies her hair.
    Last edited by Chiasm; 03-06-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    Do they intend to follow the books or just do a show inspired by the books? Given how much TV shows depend on a regular and familiar cast I'm not sure how well the show could do since half the cast will die at some point, especially the character played by spoilers:
    Sean Bean
    end of spoilers who dies in the very 1st book. I can't imagine that anyone reading this thread wouldn't have read the 1st book but just in case I'm using the spoil text.
    Could be that's why they took part, because it wouldn't be a permanent gig.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-06-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    Conn Seanery

I get that, it's just been a while since I read the first book and I couldn't remember if Renly or Stannis were in it (or how early/late they were introduced).
    Renly meets Robert and Ned's entourage on the way down from Winterfell.

So far, the casting has been first rate, so I have faith that they'll get the likes of Renly, Bronn and Loras spot on.

Gregor's a big problem, though, pun partially intended. Same goes for Hodor.

It's just a ride... twitchinmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    And I can't remember but isn't Cersei a blonde? I always envisioned Emma Frost when picturing her for some reason so I'm having a hard time seeing Lena Headey playing her unless she dies her hair.
    There will be a lot of hair dye used on this show, since hair color is a big part of the plot.
    Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage will both need blonde hair, Caetlyn and Sansa are both described as having Reddish/Brown Auburn Hair, and Robert and all his bastards (including Mya Stone, who should be showing up in the first season) are all described as having black hair.

Could be that's why they took part, because it wouldn't be a permanent gig.
    That was exactly my same thought when it was announced a few months ago. Made sense how they were able to get him involved.

I'm ecstatic about this news.

So they're sticking with Tamzin Merchant as Dany. I was really hoping that the part would be recast.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Gregor's a big problem, though, pun partially intended. Same goes for Hodor.
    Since Hodor doesn't have to say much, I could see someone like Robert Maillet (known right now for his small part in Sherlock Holmes) play him. I would have said Rory McCann, since he already played the role in Hot Fuzz ,"Yarp!", but he's playing the Hound. Which, honestly, he deserves.

For Gregor, I have a feeling they'll have someone like Vinnie Jones play him, even though he's far shorter than Rory.

You honestly assumed I thought they would condense the entire first book into the pilot? Just how stupid do you think I am?
    It was a general statement. Your question was just the gateway to that explanation. If you take offense to that particular bit of clarification, then oh well. It wasn't my intent to insult your intelligence. Sorry you decided to take it that way.

But yes, there are clearly people out there that seem to be operating under the impression that every character in the first book should have been cast for the pilot.
    Last edited by Jmacq1; 03-08-2010 at 06:02 AM.