Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Pipeline - Mar 2, 2010

Augie sells some comics on eBay on learns some valuable lessons about timing, the open market, and auctioning techniques. Also, some thoughts on Nick Simmons' plagiarism, the iPad's censorship worries, and more.

Full article here.

Unhappy Took long enough

So im confused why this took this long to notice Nick Simmons plagiarism ? I remember when i first heard of this comic book, and thought exactly the same thing, that he just ripped off popular manga's Hellsing, one piece, and im sure others. So its funny that its just become a real big deal.

So im guessing he is pretty much done with comic books, unless daddy pulls some strings to get him another deal? But who wants to buy comics from someone who just rips off others and calls it his own, and then thinks he is awesome for doing so, and because he can.

I'll save my money for something else, or just buy the manga's he ripped off.

Yeah I hate selling comics on ebay. Sometimes you win (I sold my run of marvels Captain Marvel (the original series) for 250 dollars) and sometimes you lose (Preacher #1 for .99 cents, among many other bad deals for me).

But I keep doing it hoping for that one great deal, but its really rare that it actually happens.

Are there other better ways to sell your unwanted comics?

Has anyone tried AtomicAvenue.com? This allows you to post your comics for sale for whatever price you choose and has them up for as long as you want them to be there? It works with the ComicBase program, which I use because I have a very large collection, but I think they have a free version for use with the site for anyone who wants it. I haven't sold a ton of comics on here, so I don't know how much traffic it gets. Most of the stuff I'm trying to unload I have up for a dollar because I'm just trying to get rid of it to create more room. Still, with a dollar price-tag, I would think I'd sell a good amount of odds and ends issues.

I also sell to mycomicshop.com, but for common issues they are paying about a quarter in trade and less in cash right now, so unless you have something that is really valuable, this might just be a waste of time and way too little money for books that we've spent so much on.

I foud this article to be very good and mirrored my own experience with Ebay. Still, I have a stack of Bloodshot comics from Valiant that I was preparing to put up because they don't seem to be moving anywhere else. Reminding me of my experience on Ebay may have made me reconsider this plan. (Also looking at the number of Bloodshot comics currently up gave me pause as well.) You are really at the buyer's mercy on Ebay and if there is no market for something you are selling, the price you get will certainly reflect that.
    Last edited by Robert318; 03-03-2010 at 04:00 AM.

I've sold tons of books on eBay and have regretted doing that on some occasions. When you put up a nice book or a good run, it's well worth the effort but for the most part, I got less than what I thought I would with the "regular" books.

I've also underestimated shipping costs at times and have lost money on that too. Good to be aware of this especially when you're shipping in bulk as opposed to single issues.

Good column...we pretty much have the same observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Render View Post
    Yeah I hate selling comics on ebay.
    [snip]
    Are there other better ways to sell your unwanted comics?
    Me too. Mostly it's just how time consuming it is compared to the amount of money I usually get.

This time round instead of going to eBay I've got a table booked at the next comic market in September. I've got more than enough to fill the table so I'll see how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Augie
    Even crazier, one of the auctions has two bids and yet the price hasn't budged up yet. I don't get that one.
    That happens when both bids are by the same person. They must have gone back and upped their bid.

When I first started using eBay for comics, I had very good luck in getting the prices I wanted but in recent years most auctions never get a bite unless they are of very 'hot' items. I'd have put the comics that Augie put up in that catagory, but apparently not.

About the only time in recent years I've had a good eBay sale on comics was for the first handful of Sandman issues.

Mostly, though, I can't even recoup half of cover price, so it makes little sense to even bother with the hassle of shipping. More recently I tried creating an eBay Store because I could then put in a load of comics, have them stay up for a month at a fixed price, and be charged like $2.00 for the whole lot. Not a single bite.