Thread: Ares' Axe

BANNED

Default Ares' Axe

This is kind of an oddball question, I admit, but is Ares' axe god-forged like Thor's hammer, a normal axe he endowed with power, or just a normal axe altogether that he just uses with god-strength?

I always assumed it was but I don't recall it ever being stated that it was.

Most Olympian weapons were forged by Hepheastus, which makes them more or less invulnerable. aside from some improved durability, I doubt the Axe has any special qualities.

It does not have a longstanding history of being a weapon of notice.
    It has become more prominent since his makeover by Oeming but doesn't have an particular outstanding properties that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarejourneyman View Post
    Most Olympian weapons were forged by Hepheastus, which makes them more or less invulnerable. aside from some improved durability, I doubt the Axe has any special qualities.
    yeah but Hep and Ares did not always get along so he might have got it somewhere else.

I have a nice mustache Van Custo's Avatar

Wasn't it enchanted by Zeus?

It dug into Sentry so it's no joke.

No enchantments, but I'm positive it's forged out of Adamantium.

The only reference I know of that it was anything special comes from a issue of Secret Warriors where (I think) Fury says it was given to Ares by Zeus himself. If nothing else, that probably makes it extremely formidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchdrunk View Post
    It does not have a longstanding history of being a weapon of notice.
    It has become more prominent since his makeover by Oeming but doesn't have an particular outstanding properties that I'm aware of.
    He always had an axe.
    In fact, when the Olympians attacked the Eternals Ikaris somehow figured out that the axe carried Ares' power so he melted it with his laser vision and then was able to kick his butt. That has never been mentioned since so i guess it isnt in use anymore.

Sigh Phi - it may not have been mentioned lately but it's good to note that.
    It's nice when there's some kind of history within the books to back up a character's or in this case a weapon's capabilities.

Thanks for the info

God with a conscience HippieThor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Camron Amaya View Post
    Wasn't it enchanted by Zeus?

It dug into Sentry so it's no joke.
    I think most of Ares' weapons are enchanted by Zeus and are made of adamantine, the same material Herc's mace is made out of. However, there is some inconsistency in Ares' axe.

In DA #9 and Utopia, the axe he used was a war axe with blades on both ends of the shaft. That axe was also claimed to be a gift from Zeus and souped-up. More recently, the axe he used against the Sentry was single-bladed and had a spike at one end, and he managed to stab the Sentry in the stomach with the spike end before ripping it out.

However, the "Sentry" upon getting the axe ripped out of him, had some black void tentacles pop out of the wound, rather than blood. I imagine the Sentry that ripped Ares in half was really the Void posing as the Sentry.

You have to remember, the Sentry was stated to be invulnerable, basically- after SI he has seemingly become much easier to injure. In WWH he was intentionally taking flush shots to the face from the Hulk and smiling and asking for more...and now Morgan Le Fay can explode him, and a little alien Ray gun can melt his face off.

I think Bendis has changed the Sentry's powerset from being invulnerable/superman powerset to just be unkillable and an omnipotent reality warper.

That said, Ares being able to injure the Void was impressive. The Void, while tough, can still be hurt. So I think it's safe to say that the durability and enchantment of Ares' axe, coupled with his physical strength, make it a devastating offensive weapon. He was pretty close to decapitating A-Bomb with it, so it's no joke.

In April, in addition to whatever other qualities his axe has, we can all agree that it's "Savage"

You know, about that Morgan Le Fay thing (killing Sentry), that was her using her time travel powers to use the Molecule Man's attack right? That's what I've been assuming.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyJoseph View Post
    No enchantments, but I'm positive it's forged out of Adamantium.
    Positively wrong.

Olympian weapons are forged from Adamantine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soundrave View Post
    Positively wrong.

Olympian weapons are forged from Adamantine.
    Really? Cool. I didn't know that.

Now I want to know all there is to know about Adamantine...when was it first mentioned? What weapons/etc have been made out of it already? How does it compare with Adamantium (well, y'know, since the names are similar...)

That's pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash's Lightning View Post
    Really? Cool. I didn't know that.

Now I want to know all there is to know about Adamantine...when was it first mentioned? What weapons/etc have been made out of it already? How does it compare with Adamantium (well, y'know, since the names are similar...)

That's pretty awesome.
    Adamintine is first mentioned in certain Greek myths as an indestructible metal used by the gods. In some stories, Zeus had an adamintine spike driven through Prometheus's chest as part of his punishment. Some state Kronos's sickle was made from the metal. It is generally used for any indestructible metal.

In the comics it is the same thing. The guy who made adamantium named it after the Olympian metal. As far as I know both metals have been portrayed as indestructible with neither being superior to the other. IIRC, Hercules in a recent issue stated he could hit the adamantine door all day with his mace and not get anywhere. Wolverine also did not state he could cut through it with his claws. The only item I can confirm 100% to be made out of it is Hercules's mace. Ares one time used a suit of Olympian battle armor that might have been made of it as well. Ares has used various weapons over the years, but not all of them are made out of adamantine because they have been shown breaking. In his battle with She-Ultron Ares's ax broke against her forcefield. The same thing occured during WWH. So not all Olympian weaponry is made out of it.

Adamantine is in a way the Greek version of uru. Both are metals unique to their home realms reserved for their finest weapons. The difference being adamantine's defining characteristic is it is indestructible. Uru's defining characteristic is it holds enchantments well and is a natural conductor of magical energies at the cost of being far less durable than adamantine. To counter this when it is enchanted it has been shown to be nearly as durable.