Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Male Full Grown Lion Vs Full Grown Male Silverback Gorilla

idk, I always wonder what'd win if they fought...I like to think the Gorilla could take it, but that's just because the gorilla is my favorite animal.

Senior Member Alexander the immortal's Avatar

The Gorilla.

Default Lion

Lion easily. Leopards, which are only 1/2 or 1/3 the size of lions, hunt and kill adult gorillas. Despite their fierce appearance, gorillas are basically gentle herbivores, lions kill other large animals for a living.

Senior Member Alexander the immortal's Avatar

Lion easily. Leopards, which are only 1/2 or 1/3 the size of lions, hunt and kill adult gorillas.
    Any evidence for that ? First time I hear it and it doesn't seem logical. However in truth it may be and just seems odd to us I guess who don't know better.
    Last edited by Alexander the immortal; 02-26-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Yeah, gorillas mainly just eat celery. I've not heard of jaguars hunting gorillas, but it seems possible.

Now a pack of chimps against a lion, that'd be a drag-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W. Loper View Post
    Lion easily. Leopards, which are only 1/2 or 1/3 the size of lions, hunt and kill adult gorillas. Despite their fierce appearance, gorillas are basically gentle herbivores, lions kill other large animals for a living.
    But I doubt they take a full grown male silverback in its prime ever, and even the gorillas that they do take are more likely killed through stealth and ambush rather than face to face conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the immortal View Post
    Saw it the last time this sort of thing came up. Really has no bearing on this fight due to the vast gulf in mass between a leopard and a lion, as well as the effect of the mane against bites to the neck and shoulders...and I wouldn't consider it valid evidence anyway, any more than I'd consider 'The Deadliest Warrior' valid evidence.

In any case, I feel the lion takes this. The gorilla has no size advantage, and it's up against a predator loaded up nicely with weapons. I don't see the lion curbstomping - it's in for a hard fight - but I feel it takes a comfortable majority.

Milage may vary.

What about bloodlust where as I've heard stories of jags hunting Gorillas, I've heard of pissed off Gorillas beating the shit out of Jags that go for their kids. I think a pissed off Gorilla could do some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashfan View Post
    What about bloodlust where as I've heard stories of jags hunting Gorillas, I've heard of pissed off Gorillas beating the shit out of Jags that go for their kids. I think a pissed off Gorilla could do some damage.
    I think you mean leopard. There aren't any gorillas in the areas one finds a jaguar. Jaguars are found in Central and South America.

And again, the lion is twice the size of a leopard and around the same size as the gorilla (if anything, the lion has a small edge in mass). And a predator that's sharp at all ends.

The gorilla makes a fight of it, but I don't see it winning any kind of majority, personally.

The size for a large lion is around 330-350lbs I think. The AVERAGE gorilla is around 400lbs. I think the biggest lion ever weighed around 440lbs. I think the gorilla on average has atleast fifty pounds on the lion.

I don't know I think the ability of have actual arms would help him out, and while the mane could help protect against neck bites...I see a gorilla just using is ti drag the lion around like a rag doll.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashfan View Post
    The size for a large lion is around 330-350lbs I think. The AVERAGE gorilla is around 400lbs. I think the biggest lion ever weighed around 440lbs. I think the gorilla on average has atleast fifty pounds on the lion.
    Your information is coming from where?

Wiki (cited, in this case, from Walkers Mammals of the World, John Hopkins University) places the lion at between 350-550 lbs (adult male), so 330-350 is a huge lowballing of the lion's mass.

For the gorilla, Wiki rates them at 310-440 lbs, with a silverback 'occasionally' reaching 500+ lbs.

Seeing that, I definitely rate the lion as being as heavy if not heavier - by lowest, by highest, and by average.

I don't know I think the ability of have actual arms would help him out, and while the mane could help protect against neck bites...I see a gorilla just using is ti drag the lion around like a rag doll.
    Whereas the lion has forelimbs with claws on the ends of them. I guess the gorilla could easily get ahold of the lion's mane if the lion were just standing there, instead of pouncing on him and dragging him down while ripping the heck out of him with the front claws, biting with its much larger teeth, and trying to disembowel it with its rear claws.

It's easy to grab something just standing there. It's a lot harder when that thing is bringing claws and teeth into play that are tearing into whatever is doing the grabbing.

ESPECIALLY when the thing with the claws and teeth is as heavy or heavier than the grabber.

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It's easy to grab something just standing there. It's a lot harder when that thing is bringing claws and teeth into play that are tearing into whatever is doing the grabbing.

ESPECIALLY when the thing with the claws and teeth is as heavy or heavier than the grabber.
    It'll be like in 0:34 of this. Except you had guns in COD4.
    Last edited by mailedbypostman1; 02-26-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

Veteran Member

A gorilla with human intelligence would win, but with its natural fighting, no way - losing battle unfortunately.

BANNED

I think the lion would win this

And as to abmccray, I've been meaning to tell you this, but McCray is my last name