Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Discussing Comic-Con International's Future

With talk swirling over whether it will remain in San Diego, Comic-Con International Marketing and PR Director David Glanzer discussed which cities are in the running, the issues at stake and why no decision has been made yet.

Full article here.

Because it's the same thing they do every time, stir up rumors to get San Diego to make them a better deal?

Problem is, there's not really anywhere else to go. You gonna hold a convention in Vegas in late July/early August? In Los Angeles, where there isn't an affordable hotel near the convention center for miles? Anaheim? Good luck.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Anaheim? Good luck.
    Well it is the largest convention center on the West Coast. Problem is that there's absolutely nothing else to do after the convention is over.
    Team Cool Approved Corrie Winning member of The Clique if it was real

Default 5 Reasons to Move Comic-Con to Anaheim

Some serious, some not so much -- check it out here

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
    Well it is the largest convention center on the West Coast. Problem is that there's absolutely nothing else to do after the convention is over.
    The other problem is having a convention that large in the summer, when all the hotels are booked up for Disneyland.

But then, San Diego doesn't really work, either. I don't think there is a decent solution to CCI's woes. Or at least no cure-all.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

-Expletive Deleted

Default Move to Las Vegas

The logic behind this is:
    Vegas handles events this big all the time.
    Many flights in and out of Vegas.
    NUMEROUS hotels. No jacking up the price 5x the normal cost just because ComicCon is in town. This is the one thing that kills someone flying in for the experience and why I cancelled my trip last year.
    Things to do after 7pm. Imagine the events that the multimedia companies could throw.

Quote Originally Posted by shtfilter View Post
    NUMEROUS hotels. No jacking up the price 5x the normal cost just because ComicCon is in town. This is the one thing that kills someone flying in for the experience and why I cancelled my trip last year.
    Things to do after 7pm. Imagine the events that the multimedia companies could throw.
    But again, you want to hang out with hundreds of thousands of nerds in Vegas in late July? It's just bad timing. Most Vegas conventions happen in cooler weather. Or at least, every Vegas convention I have been to has been in the winter.

-Expletive Deleted

Marie Antoinette, My Hero Fenris's Avatar

Hey! I just moved here!

But again, you want to hang out with hundreds of thousands of nerds in Vegas in late July? It's just bad timing. Most Vegas conventions happen in cooler weather. Or at least, every Vegas convention I have been to has been in the winter.
    That is certainly true. But if it came to shifting the convention to an entirely-different city, couldn't they also consider changing the date?

Not here.

Really? All the out-of-state people I know who come to Comic-Con always come to Anaheim either before or after to go to Disneyland. You know, that big "thing to do" right next door to the convention center?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    That is certainly true. But if it came to shifting the convention to an entirely-different city, couldn't they also consider changing the date?
    I guess, but then you lose out on the whole summer vacation thing.

-Expletive Deleted

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

I have to agree that San Diego doesn't really work, and that's one reason why I'm not sorry I missed last year's Comic-Con, but still... argh. I have so many memories associated with San Diego, it's difficult for me to accept the possibility of Comic-Con moving. (Assuming this is a real possibility and not just an empty threat.)
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Oh, also, a better way to solve Comic-Con's problems would be to give a trivia quiz on Twilight to everyone applying for badges. Only people who failed the quiz would be allowed to purchase badges.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

The other problem is having a convention that large in the summer, when all the hotels are booked up for Disneyland.
    Summer is actually a slow season. The parks close early. Besides the occasional holiday, it's not sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by MacQuarrie View Post
    Really? All the out-of-state people I know who come to Comic-Con always come to Anaheim either before or after to go to Disneyland. You know, that big "thing to do" right next door to the convention center?
    I was talking about anything else.
    Team Cool Approved Corrie Winning member of The Clique if it was real

Not here.

Summer is actually a slow season. The parks close early. Besides the occasional holiday, it's not sold out.

I was talking about anything else.
    The beach isn't that far away. Or Knott's, Universal, Hollywood, LA in general. For out of state visitors, all of LA and Orange Counties are avaivable. Lots more to do than in San Diego.

Bigger convention , lots better parking, lots more hotel rooms. Most importantly, I can easily commute to teh convention from home. I hope they move the thing. Or maybe Anaheim can start one of their own.

Heroverse Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by shtfilter View Post
    agree 100%

I've been to many conventions in Vegas. There's so much more to do than in San Diego, the hotels never jack up prices to $500/night, there are tons more flights in and out, the convention center is huge.

San Diego is an awesome city, but is one of the worst places to hold a convention of this scale. The people-traffic crossing the trolly/rail line into town all day is reason enough to move it, nevermind theres not one room that can hold the number of fans interested in attending any given panel or the crowds on the show floor. Logistically it just doesn't work there.