Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: X-POSITION: Matt Fraction

"Uncanny X-Men" writer Matt Fraction dropped by to give X-POSITION our biggest installment to date, talking with us about character motivations, regrets, Night Ranger, and a giant freakin' bullet! Plus, exclusive preview art!!

Full article here.

Interesting, thoughtful, enjoyable and considered interview. It was a bonus that the questions weren't all "when is ______ going to appear?"

The best news is that they got plans for Nate sticking around
    "I'm bad and that's good, I will never be good and that's not bad, because there's no one I rather be than me."
    -Bad Guy Affirmation

XPOTM: 08/2011

2) With the May solicitations stating that one of the X-Men will perish, I was wondering how you, as a writer, decide who to kill off? Is the decision merely in terms of furthering the story, or does it encompass character usage and overall popularity?

Well, in this case, it came out of the "Second Coming" editorial retreat. Let me back up for a second and say this: this one, in particular, was a gut punch. It was awful, it hurt, it was sad, depressing...and it makes the story of "Second Coming" impossible to ignore. It pushes "Second Coming" beyond just another "somebody's killing the X-Men" territory and into...well, into something real? Into something with big stakes? And it brings this character's arc to a beautiful, tragic close and pushes the whole of the event - and the whole of mutantkind - forward. They say in writing you have to be ready to kill your darlings, and this was definitely one of those times.

I don't know who first said the character's name, but, stomachache and all, I understood why it was going to happen. So, I mean, from just a brute, technical, level, yes, it furthers the story, but it furthers the story because it has meaning. If, uh, MMaammmoommmaaaaxxxx, died in the issue, in the scene at hand, it would've felt like, well, jeez, those dudes really hated that character and wanted to be done with him; this is someone you know, it's someone we know, it's someone we all love.
    Oh, wow, now I'm scared. Wonder who that is?

PLEASE not Emma, Iceman or Beast!

I actually liked this X-position, mostly because of the questions though. It's nice to see that Fraction admitted to floundering that scene with Xavier and Magneto. Though I don't see where he got the desire to see Xavier in the wrong for "once". He's been wrong plenty of times over the years, his most recent f*ck-up being the result of the writer before him - Brubaker and Deadly Genesis.

I wonder what Year Three is? Sounds like a fancy name for the new status quo.

Haha well I have to admit his answer to the "How can Mag bring back the bullet when he can't even keep Utopia afloat" question was pretty amusing. I'm honestly shocked he answered it in the first place.

Massive improvement on questions.

The preview looks great.

Such disrespect for Mammomax

This was a good interview. Really good.

Nightcrawler is so dead.

Matt Fraction was getting up on his A-game today! And bashed CC just a little!LOL
    Last edited by Vivica Kang; 02-23-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    TEAM TEEN JEAN 2013!!

*2,000,000th X-Books Forum post goes to...Yours truly Vivica Kang*

Y'know, Fraction kinda started winning me over here.
    Between thought out answers and acknowledging some of the times he's missed the mark, it'll be interesting to see if Second Coming really takes the run to a better place. Either way, I've gotta give credit where its due. This was a great X-Position.
    STAR LORDX-23HELLIONTASKMASTERDEADPOOL

Quote Originally Posted by Hakael View Post
    Y'know, Fraction kinda started winning me over here.
    Between thought out answers and acknowledging some of the times he's missed the mark, it'll be interesting to see if Second Coming really takes the run to a better place. Either way, I've gotta give credit where its due. This was a great X-Position.
    Yeah i gotta give some props to Fraction. It's hard to admit you messed up sometimes and i'm glad he admits that he did. his answers were good and the brief hints at SC show that some serious shit's going to go down.
    "I'm bad and that's good, I will never be good and that's not bad, because there's no one I rather be than me."
    -Bad Guy Affirmation

XPOTM: 08/2011

Portacio's recent Hulk work didn't wow me but this looks good. Definitely an improvement over what we usually see on Uncanny.

the frozen tundra of "not upstate" New York

I'm thinking it's Emma who bites it.

Which characters does Fraction love? I only remember Emma, Scott, and Fantomex.
    X-Boards Have Taste V

XPOTM: May 2010

pff, pryde -- teddy