Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old Superman comic (1941)

I don't really know much about this comic book. Can anyone tell me if they know anything about this issue?

Pic:

To me, those early of comic books and the original print of a 1941 regular Superman Title is nothing more but a GEM. It's Superman #3 and there are probably only so many printed and judging from the picture, almost 68 years and counting, it looks to be in great shape. Would be curious to see how much it really is.

Obviously, the better the condition the higher it will sell. Here's some "Superman #3" original comics put on on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Superman-3-VG-Fi...item414c203e3d
    Going for $2,850.00.

This one is pretty much mint condition going for $9,500.00.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Superman-3-CGC-V...item5d248f294b

This one here looks to be a little more banged up than yours and is going for $1,299.00.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERMAN-COMICS-...item1e5a94ec46

Look into it. Do you own this?
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 02-23-2010 at 05:47 AM.

BANNED

it's worthless - mail it to me and I'll dispose of it for you

So this "new poster" was able to find our little Superman Forum to ask this, but couldn't find info on Ebay? Hmmm?

Thanks guys for the ebay links. I wasn't actually sure if this was a Superman #3 issue of if it was like an annual or biannual issue that was produced. That was what I was unsure of. I had checked out various Wizard magazines to see if they had any prices for old Superman comics that weren't from the "Superman" line but from a different Superman title. I guess I was wrong.

Anyways, long story short, about 15 years ago my dad helped demolish an abandoned house. Before they did anything to it they went through the house and removed anything of value, of which was this comic book. My dad still has this issue and it's in okay condition but there are various imperfections on it, some rips here and there but the covers are still attached and in okay condition for being so old imo.

As for me being a new member and not searching for it on ebay myself, the simple answer is that I didn't start with ebay because I didn't think anyone would be selling it right at this moment. I'm surprised to see three example of it really.

Thanks Tra-EL for the info though, and keilthetarheel, I think this one is going to be held onto and not given away for you to "dispose" of, lol.

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zipper View Post
    Thanks guys for the ebay links. I wasn't actually sure if this was a Superman #3 issue of if it was like an annual or biannual issue that was produced. That was what I was unsure of. I had checked out various Wizard magazines to see if they had any prices for old Superman comics that weren't from the "Superman" line but from a different Superman title. I guess I was wrong.

Anyways, long story short, about 15 years ago my dad helped demolish an abandoned house. Before they did anything to it they went through the house and removed anything of value, of which was this comic book. My dad still has this issue and it's in okay condition but there are various imperfections on it, some rips here and there but the covers are still attached and in okay condition for being so old imo.

As for me being a new member and not searching for it on ebay myself, the simple answer is that I didn't start with ebay because I didn't think anyone would be selling it right at this moment. I'm surprised to see three example of it really.

Thanks Tra-EL for the info though, and keilthetarheel, I think this one is going to be held onto and not given away for you to "dispose" of, lol.
    Are you going to sell it?
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveDupin View Post
    Are you going to sell it?

I'd bet money on that.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    I'd bet money on that.
    Probably, he just registered, answered his question, got an answer, and left.
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Sorry zipper, we get a lot of "spam bait" posts on the forum.
    Good luck with the book.

It's all good man. I've been posting on automotive forums since 2003 and I also hate it when there's a spammer talking about something amazing and then it turns out to be fake.

I'm not really sure what will happen to the comic book at this moment because it's my dad's comic book. He's not even into comics but pretty much the rest of my family is. I know this is goofy but I really don't know much about Superman myself, I was alsways into (get ready for it) Batman and Sonic the Hedgehog comics. I'm somewhat young (24) so I grew up in the whole Batman movie craze and I fell in love with the Knightfall storyline.

My plans are to learn a little more about this comic book for my dad and also check out this forum too. Comic books were a fun part of my childhood.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Yeah Zipper that book is nearly 70 years old and its likely worth a pretty good penny. I'd get a magazine style bag/board for it and put it up. I'm sure your dad will give it to you. If ya keep it...good...if not...you'll likely find people willing to buy it as E-Bay shows.

But its a hell of a treasure man.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Contact Comics Guranty Company to have it graded (worth the cost. it will help fetch a lot more.)
    http://www.cgccomics.com/

And Heritage Auctions to sell.
    http://comics.ha.com/c/index.zx?ic=alt-task-comics

Your best bet to get the most for such a rare comic.
    They are both highly professional organizations and will deal with you honestly.

Take really, really good care of it and above all else, don't make any efforts to "repair" it. Stop into a comic shop and buy a Mylar snug to keep it in. If it was me, I'd consider putting in a safe deposit box as well.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Take really, really good care of it and above all else, don't make any efforts to "repair" it. Stop into a comic shop and buy a Mylar snug to keep it in. If it was me, I'd consider putting in a safe deposit box as well.
    I've never heard of a Mylar snug. What exactly is that?

Quote Originally Posted by zipper View Post
    I've never heard of a Mylar snug. What exactly is that?
    I see that they've changed the name to Mylar Archives. It is a thick, transparent, acid-free protective sleeve in which a comic book can be safely stored. See manufacturer's link below. Single sleeves can be purchased from most better comic shops.

http://www.egerber.com/category.asp?...categoryID=559
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum