Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What got you in to comics?

For me it was probally back during civil war, I loved the idea of my favorite superheros fighting eachother over strong beliefs.

Words are flowing out... Minkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    For me it was probally back during civil war, I loved the idea of my favorite superheros fighting eachother over strong beliefs.
    The Civil War series in the Marvel Universe. Ah.

For a moment I thought you were claiming to have been reading comics from the middle of the nineteenth century.

I had read a Superman comic at a friend's house, and a Batman as well. I was sick in bed one day, and when my mom was leaving to pick up my prescription, she asked me if I wanted something to read. I asked her to pick up a Superman or Batman comic.

When she got home, she said she was sorry but she couldn't find either of those and got something else. She handed me a comic with the Justice League including Superman, Batman, and lots of other heroes.

My little brain almost exploded.

The real reason, there was a comic shop around the corner from my house, that I could walk to on my own and spend my own money at. So, oddly enough, accessability.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

i guess what brought me first to comics was because as kid it was easier for me to read stuff with pictures in it than just text.

But what brought me really to comics were superhero cartoons on TV. I really liked all the characters before i even read any comicbook. But i knew these superheroes where comic characters so i wanted to read these stories too, not only watch them.
    Last edited by Ned McDodd; 02-20-2010 at 09:53 AM.

The DC Heroes roleplaying game, about 1989. I couldn't work out why Spiderman wasn't included.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

Hey, you're not dead! Gilda Dent's Avatar

Heh. Civil War was what prompted me to drop Marvel comics from my regular sub list.

As for the question, my mom bought me comics as a regular treat when I was a kid, sometimes at the grocery store, but mostly at garage sales. You know those stories you hear about the kid who goes off to college and his mom throws out his comic collection or sells it at a garage sale? My mom was the one buying those comics.

At first it was mostly Harvey comics. I got my first taste of superheroes from a group of mass market paperback reprints of the first few issues of Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk, and Conan the Barbarian. There were three Spider-Man collections, each collecting seven issues of Amazing Spider-Man, giving me a total run of 21 from Amazing Fantasy #15 - Amazing Spider-Man #20. The Fantastic Four and Conan books had the first seven issues, and the Hulk book had the first six.

DC had mass-market reprint books, but the Marvel books were special. The DC books were black and white and reprinted a few panels on each page of the book and had a random sampling of stories. The Marvel books were in full color and reprinted each page in full and reprinted consecutive issues; this resulted in tiny panels, but a much better recreation of the experience of reading the original material.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much beyond that handful of books.

DC, however, took the idea of full-page reprints in a small size to the logical next step with Adventure Comics and DC Blue Ribbon Digests. These might have been DC's version of Archie digests; I'm not sure which came first. Adventure Comics was converted into a 100-page digest sized monthly reprint of classic LOSH stories (at least, I think it was all Legion) and the Blue Ribbon Digests generally collected a storyline from one of DC's core books, or at least a series of consecutive issues, along with a once-a-year "Best of 19XX" issue. Best of all, for my purposes, they were sized for a supermarket checkout stand and cost not much more than a single issue of a comic, so goading my mom into getting the latest one as we went through the line was not very difficult.

So by the time I had funds to buy what I wanted when I wanted to buy it, I'd had a smattering of exposure to Harvey, Archie, Marvel, and DC in a variety of formats.

The first comic I actually bought by myself with money I earned myself was Avengers Annual #10, which was written by Chris Claremont and is as much an X-Men story as it is an Avengers story. And with that, I bought a few Uncanny X-Men, and from there I was hooked.

-------------

In college I thought I had "outgrown" comics and stopped buying them. It was Crossgen digest reprints that brought me back. I noticed an endcap display at a Barnes and Noble, flipped through a copy of Meridian, and was soon hooked again and hunting down back issues of several Crossgen titles.

Crossgen went under and I came back to Marvel and DC, and they lost me to event fatigue around the mid 2000's. Right now most of my comic dollar goes to reprints of newspaper adventure strips and what I do buy from the big two are generally reprints of classic material, basically the same stuff that got me hooked in the first place, but looking much, much better, and digests of the Marvel Adventures line, which has more of a classic feel to it for me than the main universe. It doesn't have the same magic it did back then, but it is still fun.

Goodness, I seemed to have developed a bout of logorrhoea.
    Last edited by Gilda Dent; 02-20-2010 at 10:13 AM.
    Passion is nice wherever you find it. Character is what matters, not gender or race.

~Kelly Chambers

Words are flowing out... Minkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilda Dent View Post
    Goodness, I seemed to have developed a bout of logorrhoea.
    Penicillin will knock that right out.

Short answer: my brother Jim--he used to buy me Batman comics before I could even read.

Long answer...

Jim always loved Spider-man in particular. And so, when we were were kids it was only natural that we would end up watching "Spider-man" or "Spider-man and His Amazing Friends" and the "Incredible Hulk" on Saturday mornings (actually he liked the '67 series better; but that was what we did anyway).

He had comics before, but I think he started seriously collecting at about that time (early 80's), and he was always inclined to share his hobbies with our sister, Erica, and myself.

Jim was very organized--even as a 10 year old. He always made detailed lists of things (initially just comics but later branching out into wrestling mags, and beyond). He even invented this system of comics storage that I have never seen anyone do since, and I've always thought was the absolute nicest way catalog them (although not as easy as using a simple Tropicana box).

At about that time, the 1st Secret Wars came out; and even though I couldn't read yet, I enjoyed the cover art a lot, as well as that of several other related things...

Anyway, I guess if you start to like something like comics, then you naturally develop an appreciation for the creative aspects of it--and then of course you try to emulate what it is that you like about it.

We 3 children each had some innate artistic ability (our mother was an artist). Jim is probably the best writer--he's very verbose, in a funny way, if you ever read him.
    Last edited by Bear; 02-20-2010 at 11:44 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

X-Men, really.

Back in late '79, I saw Uncanny X-Men #139 on a spinner rack. I've been hooked ever since. Before then, I bought a few comics, here and there, but they never really grabbed me.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

My father.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Dad.

He introduced me to them. So all these floppies, and my shelf, paked with trades, hardcovers and manga digests, are officially his fault (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it ).

And this craps getting expensive, Pop. Loan me some money, wouldja??

I liked comics as long as I can remember, but it was Star Wars that first got me following a series. Eventually that got me checking out other Marvel series, and John Byrne's Fantastic Four got me hooked into superheroes.

Three things.

Burton's 89 Batman

The 90's X-Men cartoon

Chaos Comics' Lady Death
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

BANNED

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and Donner's Superman. After I saw these I was hooked.

I always read comics with the Saturday papers. I started out with Spiderman. However I started to collect them seriously just before the first Batman film came out. And I have been collecting them pretty steadily since.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus