Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Pickled by life o1pickleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,246

    Default Ballot Proposals

    With my political interest on the upswing again I started thinking about the policies and laws I don't like in my state. One thing I have mentally considered as a option to change things is ballot proposals.


    I was wondering what anyone knew about ballot props about the process and pros and cons of them.

    Also to make the thread a little fun. Giving a chance to make a ballot proposal what would you like have on the ballot in your state and/or city?
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

    Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

    Myspace

  2. #2
    Marie Antoinette, My Hero Fenris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by o1pickleboy View Post
    With my political interest on the upswing again I started thinking about the policies and laws I don't like in my state. One thing I have mentally considered as a option to change things is ballot proposals.


    I was wondering what anyone knew about ballot props about the process and pros and cons of them.

    Also to make the thread a little fun. Giving a chance to make a ballot proposal what would you like have on the ballot in your state and/or city?
    California is famous for its ballot proposals: it's relatively easy to do here. (Relatively!) I'm afraid I don't know anything about Michigan's electoral procedures.

    But Google brought me this:

    Lansing, Mich. — The state Democratic Party (MDP) has raised eyebrows and drawn fire by suggesting some controversial ballot proposals for next year’s general elections.

    With the heading of “Putting People First,” they listed them as such:
    n Mandating all employers to provide affordable health care for their employees and dependents or pay a penalty.
    n Raising the minimum wage from $7.40 per hour to $10 and covering all workers with no exceptions.
    n Increasing unemployment benefits by $100/week, making all workers eligible and adding six months to the time one can receive benefits.
    n Cutting utility rates by 20 percent.
    n Imposing a one-year moratorium on home foreclosures.


    That's really nice. You guys must have lots of money!


    Speaking of states with lots of money: currently, there are more than 90 California ballot proposals; a lot of these will get dropped before the election, though we'll probably still have an absurdly-large number left to vote on.
    No doubt gay marriage will come up again; apparently so will gerrymandering, taxes and term limits.


    ő
    Proposition 42: Massive Cake Subsidies!

  3. #3
    Pickled by life o1pickleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    California is famous for its ballot proposals: it's relatively easy to do here. (Relatively!) I'm afraid I don't know anything about Michigan's electoral procedures.

    But Google brought me this:

    Lansing, Mich. — The state Democratic Party (MDP) has raised eyebrows and drawn fire by suggesting some controversial ballot proposals for next year’s general elections.

    With the heading of “Putting People First,” they listed them as such:
    n Mandating all employers to provide affordable health care for their employees and dependents or pay a penalty.
    n Raising the minimum wage from $7.40 per hour to $10 and covering all workers with no exceptions.
    n Increasing unemployment benefits by $100/week, making all workers eligible and adding six months to the time one can receive benefits.
    n Cutting utility rates by 20 percent.
    n Imposing a one-year moratorium on home foreclosures.


    That's really nice. You guys must have lots of money!


    Speaking of states with lots of money: currently, there are more than 90 California ballot proposals; a lot of these will get dropped before the election, though we'll probably still have an absurdly-large number left to vote on.
    No doubt gay marriage will come up again; apparently so will gerrymandering, taxes and term limits.


    ő
    Proposition 42: Massive Cake Subsidies!
    a small vocal fraction doesn't understand that we are broke. We would of had most of this if we had any money. Some of the idea's I heard that aren't there was making the legislature part time and raising the sale tax to 7%
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

    Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

    Myspace

  4. #4
    Marie Antoinette, My Hero Fenris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by o1pickleboy View Post
    a small vocal fraction doesn't understand that we are broke. We would of had most of this if we had any money. Some of the idea's I heard that aren't there was making the legislature part time and raising the sale tax to 7%
    Raising taxes? And the sales tax, at that! It's a very bold idea. Do you think people would vote for it?

    What's the effect of making the legislature part-time? Is it a cost-saving measure, or more in the way of forcing them to get things done quickly?


    ő
    Will they lose their health benefits as part-time employees?

  5. #5
    Pickled by life o1pickleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Raising taxes? And the sales tax, at that! It's a very bold idea. Do you think people would vote for it?

    What's the effect of making the legislature part-time? Is it a cost-saving measure, or more in the way of forcing them to get things done quickly?


    ő
    Will they lose their health benefits as part-time employees?
    On the sales tax they are looking to repeat the success of the move from 4% to 6%. They are hoping that the people that understand we are at bare minimum(at least what is considered bare minimum by many) on services and need an increased to revenue somewhere. Sale tax is the easiest because a lot of that tax is paid for my non residences. Also the 7% wasn't a step down from the 8% that originally were thinking because it is easier to get votes for the 7% than the 8%.

    The idea for the legislature was purely a cost cutting move. We all have a very good sense of reality that there isn't much you can do to make politicians move faster.

    I do believe that they pay would be switched to a "per session" flat rate over a salary. I have no idea on their health care
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

    Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

    Myspace

  6. #6
    Pickled by life o1pickleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    Two years later and time for another crop of ballot proposals

    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/so...2_346859_7.pdf
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

    Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

    Myspace

  7. #7
    Nyah! Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI/Millennium City MI
    Posts
    33,362

    Default

    None on this year's ballot, though, and likely not to be unless the courts allow Stand Up for Democracy's veto referendum on the fascist "emergency manager" law to go through. I doubt they will, though. They've gotten one road block after another put in front of them (surprise, surprise).
    'Dox out.

    "But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

    "Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

    "And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega


    Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

  8. #8
    Pickled by life o1pickleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    None on this year's ballot, though, and likely not to be unless the courts allow Stand Up for Democracy's veto referendum on the fascist "emergency manager" law to go through. I doubt they will, though. They've gotten one road block after another put in front of them (surprise, surprise).
    Friday the court rules the text size on the ballot proposal for emergency manager law was legal. So that one I do believe will be on the ballot. That is if 7 and 4 news can be believed

    http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/stor...4#.UB-MHqCQPdM
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

    Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

    Myspace

  9. #9
    Nyah! Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI/Millennium City MI
    Posts
    33,362

    Default

    Good news, there, then. Let's hope the idiots in this state don't vote to keep it.
    'Dox out.

    "But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

    "Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

    "And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega


    Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

  10. #10
    Pickled by life o1pickleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    Several ballots Initiatives failed to make it on the November ballot

    http://www.ballotpedia.org/wiki/inde...allot_measures

    Public Employment Relations repeal Initiative- Would repeal the Public Employment Relations Act, PA 336 of 1947.

    Mining Restriction Measure- Tougher laws on mining to protect the Great Lakes and local inland lakes, rivers & environment from contamination.

    Marijuana Legalization Amendment- Would make marijuana legal for most adults age 21 and older.

    Michigan is Yours Amendment- Authorizes new casinos at seven locations

    Eliminate Senate and term limits amendment- Would eliminate the State Senate and term limits for legislators.

    Condition of employment Amendment- Would eliminate the need to pay union dues as a condition of employment.

    Collective Bargaining Initiative- Would ban collective bargaining for state employees

    Declaration of Independence Language Amendment- Would place passages of the Declaration of Independence in the state constitution.

    Fracking Ban Amendment- Would prohibit the use of horizontal hydraulic fracturing in Michigan.
    Last edited by o1pickleboy; 08-15-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

    Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

    Myspace

  11. #11
    Hardcover addict dupont2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    California is famous for its ballot proposals: it's relatively easy to do here. (Relatively!) I'm afraid I don't know anything about Michigan's electoral procedures.

    But Google brought me this:

    Lansing, Mich. — The state Democratic Party (MDP) has raised eyebrows and drawn fire by suggesting some controversial ballot proposals for next year’s general elections.

    With the heading of “Putting People First,” they listed them as such:
    n Mandating all employers to provide affordable health care for their employees and dependents or pay a penalty.
    n Raising the minimum wage from $7.40 per hour to $10 and covering all workers with no exceptions.
    n Increasing unemployment benefits by $100/week, making all workers eligible and adding six months to the time one can receive benefits.
    n Cutting utility rates by 20 percent.
    n Imposing a one-year moratorium on home foreclosures.


    That's really nice. You guys must have lots of money!


    Speaking of states with lots of money: currently, there are more than 90 California ballot proposals; a lot of these will get dropped before the election, though we'll probably still have an absurdly-large number left to vote on.
    No doubt gay marriage will come up again; apparently so will gerrymandering, taxes and term limits.


    ő
    Proposition 42: Massive Cake Subsidies!
    That actually sounds like a lot of things a civilized and developed first world nation would do. But instead we'll completely abolish Medicare, Social Security, a minimum wage, any oversight on lending, and taxes for anyone making a billion dollars a year or more. Oh, we'll have to raise taxes on everyone else, but it all works out. Whatever criticism you have on California's budget can be met with the fact that our state is one of the few that actually provides funds to the fed, instead of drawing from them. Thanks California, for the Internet access in rural Kentucky. Now they can get online and rant about how we're a welfare state!
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

  12. #12
    Pickled by life o1pickleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    None on this year's ballot, though, and likely not to be unless the courts allow Stand Up for Democracy's veto referendum on the fascist "emergency manager" law to go through. I doubt they will, though. They've gotten one road block after another put in front of them (surprise, surprise).
    Update two more are on the ballot.

    http://www.ballotpedia.org/wiki/inde...allot_measures
    Renewable Energy Amendment-Would mandate that 25% of the state's electricity come from renewable sources by 2025.

    Home health Care Amendment- Would put give home health care providers limited collective bargaining rights.
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

    Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

    Myspace

  13. #13
    Pickled by life o1pickleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    Michigan's "protect our jobs" amendment goes to court.

    Lansing — Gov. Rick Snyder and Attorney General Bill Schuette filed court papers Monday to try to block a statewide ballot initiative that seeks to protect collective bargaining rights.

    Snyder and Schuette are seeking to scuttle the Protect Our Jobs ballot proposal, whose position on the ballot will be decided by the Michigan Court of Appeals.

    The four-member Board of State Canvassers last week deadlocked on certifying the Protect Our Jobs petition. The two Republican members voted against placing the issue on the ballot, while the two Democrats voted to certify.

    The state Court of Appeals will hold a hearing Wednesday on the ballot initiative.

    The motion filed by Schuette and Snyder requests that the Court of Appeals deny the group's writ of mandamus asking the panel to order the Board of State Canvassers to certify their petition for the ballot.

    Schuette spokeswoman Joy Yearout issued a press release saying Schuette will argue the proposed constitutional amendment would change so many laws that its effects could not possibly be summarized in the 100-word statement of purpose that appears on the election ballot.

    In his filing, Schuette complained that organizers for Protect Our Jobs "cannot … propose an innocuous-sounding constitutional amendment that has the secret effect of wholesale changes in Michigan law."

    "(T)he issue is whether Michigan citizens will be given the basic tools — such as full publication of the proposal's changes to existing law — essential to know precisely what the citizens are voting for," he argued.

    Andrew Nickelhoff, the attorney for Protect Our Jobs, has argued that the Board of State Canvassers must certify the petition because the group gathered enough valid signatures and met statutory requirements.

    From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz24Pk92rUE
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

    Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

    Myspace

  14. #14
    Nyah! Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI/Millennium City MI
    Posts
    33,362

    Default

    A constitutional amendment might change some laws? GET OUTTA TOWN!

    That's the POINT, Rick, you insufferable douchebag!
    'Dox out.

    "But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

    "Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

    "And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega


    Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

  15. #15
    Pickled by life o1pickleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    A constitutional amendment might change some laws? GET OUTTA TOWN!

    That's the POINT, Rick, you insufferable douchebag!
    All this is going to do is piss off a lot of voters some that even lean Republican. I help collect signatures for this one and I have a lot of people sign it because they wanted to be able to vote on it. Agree or disagree with the issue many voters want the option to make the decision.
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

    Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

    Myspace

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •