Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: When Words Collide - Feb 15, 2010

Tim takes a brief diversion from Bendis' "Daredevil" in order to travel back in time and look at another groundbreaking Marvel run dealing with the strange goings-on in Hell's Kitchen: Steve Gerber's "Omega the Unknown."

Full article here.

Default Omega

I fondly remember Omega from my grade-school days. At the time the second issue came out, I was buying everything I could find with the Hulk on the cover. You can imagine the surprise of this eight-year-old when reading a book about some kid in Hell's Kitchen, a place I had never even heard of. Over the next year or so, I kept bumping into issues of Omega and kept buying some of them, even though I didn't really understand them.

It wasn't until years later that I began to appreciate the work that Steve Gerber was doing on the title and seek out back issues to complete my collection. I haven't read the re-imagining, both out of respect for Steve and because I can't fathom anybody doing it any better.

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to correspond with Steve by e-mail a few times (just short blurbs really, but it was a big thrill); he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I appreciate that he poured his heart and soul into every project when it would have been so easy to do otherwise -- to just phone it in. I stand by my statement that he is the only writer whose work reached a mass (comics) audience in the '70s who still was at the top of his game thirty years later. Really, his HARD TIME and NEVADA are criminally underappreciated. The former especially virtually begs to be collected into an Absolute Edition. What a great read.

Of course, I feel the same way about his Foolkiller mini-series from Marvel. Where's the trade for that? Definitely needed. (And while I haven't picked up the Omega trade, just reading about the series here makes me tempted to spring for the collection, even though I've read 'em all repeatedly.)

Nice article!

That was a treat. Thank you.

Veteran Member

The only thing that really bothers me about Marvel's recent Omega miniseries is that the Gerber/Skrenes story wasn't ever completed and the original authors were still around. They should have been given the opportunity to finish their story, and it was shoddy behaviour, to say the very least, on the part of Marvel not to have made that happen. I wouldn't expect better of them - they've long since shown themselves for what they are as a company - but I think the less of Lethem for going along with it.

We can't go back and give Steve Gerber the chance that was taken away from him, the chance to finish what he started, anymore than we could go back and give Jack Kirby the chance to finish his Eternals or Fourth World epics. But Mary Skrenes is still around and I think Marvel should contact her at some point, if they haven't already, and ask her if she'd like to complete the story she and Steve Gerber began so long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    The only thing that really bothers me about Marvel's recent Omega miniseries is that the Gerber/Skrenes story wasn't ever completed and the original authors were still around. They should have been given the opportunity to finish their story, and it was shoddy behaviour, to say the very least, on the part of Marvel not to have made that happen. I wouldn't expect better of them - they've long since shown themselves for what they are as a company - but I think the less of Lethem for going along with it.
    To be fair to Marvel, Gerber was suing them, so he was off all their books at the time.
    To be fair to Gerber, he hadn't given them the rights to the character he was suing them to regain.
    Last edited by FunkyGreenJerusalem; 02-17-2010 at 06:16 PM.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Veteran Member

Yes and no:

"As best I can tell, Jonathan is a very nice guy who was acting with the best of intentions. His interest in reviving OMEGA comes out of passion for the material, not purely monetary considerations.

"I misjudged him, and I offer my sincerest apologies.

"That doesn't change my mind about the OMEGA revival itself, however. I still believe that writers and artists who claim to respect the work of creators past should demonstrate that respect by leaving the work alone -- particularly if the original creator is still alive, still active in the industry, and, as is typically the case in comics, excluded from any financial participation in the use of the work."
    The rest of the quote is here.

Since Gerber still expresses his dissatisfaction with the whole idea of an Omega revival, I don't think we can say he gave Lethem his blessing to write it.