Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast
    Resident Curmudgeon

Default Diversity in the Avengers

I personally hate forced diversity. Statistically, there are minorities everywhere, but also statistically there are groups that can form randomly that are all the same ethinicity, minority or not.

Whatever the final roster of the Avengers happens to be, I really hope the community doesn't go into full on nerdrage because there isn't a black character on the team.

Whatever characters are picked, I know they were chosen for the good of the story. In the end that is what it should be about, not some deference to statistics or some misplaced need to make sure minorities (or majorities) are represented.
    Last edited by randomengine; 02-09-2010 at 07:45 PM.

It's nice how often if a team is 100% white it's because "it was the best team possible" and if there are minorities present it's because of tokenism, only to fill some imaginary quota, and not because those minority characters are just as deserving and heroic as the white ones.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    It's nice how often if a team is 100% white it's because "it was the best team possible" and if there are minorities present it's because of tokenism, only to fill some imaginary quota, and not because those minority characters are just as deserving and heroic as the white ones.
    Ding ding ding...

We have a winner!

OP, you lost me at "forced diversity".
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    Ding ding ding...

We have a winner!

Cosigned..

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    OP, you lost me at "forced diversity".
    Lost me with the thread title...
    Pull List : X-Men: Legacy T-Bolts Avengers Academy X-23 X-Factor New Avengers Jubilee U:X-Force Red Hood/Outlaws A:X-Men Static Gotham City Sirens Black Panther Suicide Squad Wolverine New Mutants

Resident Curmudgeon

What else do you call it when you add characters to a team to fill a quota?

I don't know how many times I have seen threads complaining about a team that doesn't have enough diversity. The writer choses the characters he wants to write.

Those persons advocating more minority characters are trying to "force" diversity.

I used Token to describe Luke's history as the guy from the streets who started out rough but later becomes an inspirational leader to a group of deginerates looking for redemption in an earlier post in a thunderbolts forum. I've gotten the feeling thats become a racially charged word. I mean token can mean something besides race, but I guess token black guy has become too common of a term.

I'd like to see Firebird, Living Lightning, Falcon, and Monica Rambeau join the ranks again. We haven't seen them on the Avengers in ages (well for Falcon just during the Johns run).

Quote Originally Posted by stewart48 View Post
    I used Token to describe Luke's history as the guy from the streets who started out rough but later becomes an inspirational leader to a group of deginerates looking for redemption in an earlier post in a thunderbolts forum. I've gotten the feeling thats become a racially charged word. I mean token can mean something besides race, but I guess token black guy has become too common of a term.
    Well, "token black guy" tends to mean, "only there because of skin color." It's an insulting term to have apply to you. Sort of like, "you only got this job because you're a woman." Luke Cage is an Avenger and the new focal point of the Thunderbolts because he is a guy who started out rough but who cleaned up his act, worked hard, started a family, and can maybe help others find redemption as well. There's nothing token about it.

Diversity involves a heck of alot more than just skin color. I want to see more diverse religious affiliations, more diverse political views, etc.
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

Through all the years the Avengers have been published by Marvel, there have always been all white guy lineups in the book at different times. No big deal either way.

Open faced club sandwedge ingenuus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    and how do you know they are trying to fill a quota exactly?

I don't know how many times I have seen threads complaining about a team that doesn't have enough diversity. The writer choses the characters he wants to write.
    you are cracking me up!

Those persons advocating more minority characters are trying to "force" diversity.
    "those persons?" what do you mean "those persons?"
    "This is not how the world ends..."

Pull List:
    Avengers, Childrens Crusade, FF, Invincible Iron Man, Journey Into Mystery, Morning Glories, New Avengers, Secret Warriors, S.H.I.E.L.D, and Thor

Quote Originally Posted by IronMagnus View Post
    Diversity involves a heck of alot more than just skin color. I want to see more diverse religious affiliations, more diverse political views, etc.
    Ex. Norse God, WW2 Veteran, Playboy Indutsrailist, Mentally Distrubed Scientist, Ditzy Socialite, Arrognat Ex-Con, Gyspy Witch, Ex-Terroist

The Avengers are the most diverse super-team in comic books...
    Last edited by dreyga2000; 02-09-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    All stories are imaginary, so you get to decide what's important and what isn't. Continuity is fluid.

-Jeff Brady

Quoted for truth....

The only black Avengers I think are "worthy" are Black Panther (because he's awesome) and War Machine (because he's awesome).

Cage is a street level guy, like Daredevil, who I'd never want to see as an Avenger either.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Franklin View Post
    Through all the years the Avengers have been published by Marvel, there have always been all white guy lineups in the book at different times. No big deal either way.

I agree. But every single time a writer wants to put a non-anglo on an Avengers team it becomes an issue.

Tell me when will it be okay to include a minority on the team? next year? 15 years from now? how about 60?

Or will a character be called token no matter how worthy?

I think those that have a problem with diversity. Will always have a problem.

Forced Diversity?? Is an Oxymoron. Especially in the US. The great Melting pot.
    Last edited by RolandJP; 02-09-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

This thread will not end well. But while its here lets have fun

So if I understand this thread your issue is not with minority characters but rather against forcing writers to include characters they don't want?

So hypothetically you would support Bendis if he decided to write a monthly series that just happened to feature only minority avengers? (by minority I mean non-European).