Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    I give it a lot of credit for being interesting, failure notwithstanding. As you mention, the more literal TV adaptation was worthless.
    Yeah, visually it has a lot to offer. But I don't think Lynch's heart was ever in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    I was surprised, however, by how good the sequel to the TV movie turned out to be (all things being relative). It wasn't quite there yet and I missed Saskia Reeves as Jessica, but many of the irritants from the first miniseries were gone: the Bene Gesserit ridiculous outfits, for one. The music was good. The costumes, sets and scenic CGI looked very good.

The "moving" CGI was mostly crap, though. The worms looked good for, like, one hour, and then turned into things from Rocket Robin Hood. And the laza tigers, ye gods... What's wrong with trained animals, that every beast must now be computer-animated? All the damned cats had to do was to run around looking menacing! All their killing happened off screen!

All in all a good effort, though, and I wouldn't have minded seeing God-emperor, Heretics and Chapterhouse done by the same people.

And the Brian Herbert stuff adapted by someone worthy of them, like Ed Wood.
    From the mention of the tigers this must have been Children of Dune? I must have a look at it one of these days. I thought the first one failed in almost every way you could name, particularly in casting to costume & set design - areas where the movie excelled, come to think of it. Not only the Bene gesserit but the Sardaukar as well were unimpressive.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

yes, the TV sardaukars looked silly, as did the Harkonnen soldiers. The more outré aspects were corrected for Children of Dune, luckily.

The David Lynch movie had a lot going for it, and I still believe that as a stand-alone creation (rather than as an adaptation of the novel) it is quite an impressive achievement. Most problems I had with it were of the order of "That's not the way I pictured it from the book".
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Having just seen a trailer for a Hercules movie, I'll say that I'd like someone to make a Hercules movie. Because this is certainly not a Hercules movie; it's another CGI-driven generic movie about a guy in sandals who goes through the same goddamn problems that every other guy in sandals has gone through in every other CGI-driven movie recently. Naturally, with high resolution and slo-mo matrix moves.

Is it so hard, when making a movie titled "Hercules", to actually tell the story of Hercules? For crying out loud!!! It's not as if his adventures need to be made more exciting than they already are!
    Last edited by Roquefort Raider; 11-02-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

I would enjoy Swan Song by Robert McCammon being made into a HBO series. A little too much story for a movie.

Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein, probably as a TV mini-series.

The Callahan's series by Spider Robinson as a TV series.

Eye in the Sky by Philip K. Dick

Lovecraft - while At the Mountains of Madness and The Shadow out of Time would be great, I'd like to see somebody tackle The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. Yes, it has problems, and it was just a first draft. But reading it, it felt to me like the outline to a great fantasy epic if somebody could just flesh it out some.
    HAIL HYDROX!

If you're so smart, why aren't you naked?

Jodoc, see what you think of this effort: http://www.hellbendermedia.com/store/products/dq/
    --
    Rob Allen

Had not heard of that; thanks. Definitely checking it out.
    HAIL HYDROX!

If you're so smart, why aren't you naked?

If it was feasible possible i'd love a Wheel of Time big budgets movie series.

I'd like to see the early Shadowrun novels adapted, esp the first "trilogy", (aka "Secrets of Power": Never Deal with a Dragon, Chose Your Enemies Carefully, and Find Your Own Truth).

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency would be one hell of a mess to turn into a movie.

And I'd watch every minute of it.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency would be one hell of a mess to turn into a movie.

And I'd watch every minute of it.
    There was a TV pilot.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Mistborn trilogy would be fun to see on the screen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    There was a TV pilot.
    And a three episodes series.