Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I sure wouldn't mind someone to give Zelazny's Amber books a try.
    They would be tough to pull off, I think. I suspect that the very same things that read so well in the books might not work well at all on screen, spoken and performed by actors.

That would be a challenge, no question.

But it offers a nice start, with the main character being amnesic. That's convenient as Corwin is at first as clueless as would be the audience about what's going on, who the other characters are and what the shadows are.

Maybe a tv show would be better suited though.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

You could condense the first two books into a decent movie, but you'd have to cut a lot of good stuff just for space reasons. I think it'd work better as a TV show. The full Game of Thrones treatment. Not just Corwin and Eric, which would have to be the focus of a bare bones movie, but the whole squabbling family.
    Expletive Deleted

Some years ago, I read all Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars books--but to please my nephew, who had read them and insisted I should read them. I found them rather dry--too wordy, with lots of factual detalls and a real slog to get through so many pages just to get to the good bits. But there's a lot of fine ideas in them--and I'm always thinking about them when I see stuff happening in the world like climate change or the Arab Spring. So they ought to adapt those as movies--which would be so much better, because then they could leave out all the wordy bits that I found so boring and just get to the exciting stuff.

For years and years and years, I was wanting ERB's John Carter of Mars to be adapted to movies--so I'm very sad how that all turned out.

Of the Arthur C. Clarke books I've read, CHILDHOOD'S END was a much better read than 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. A lot more vivid and exciting. I guess as a science fiction reader I'm no good--because the science fiction that critics rate highly is all that stuff that is factual and dense--whereas I prefer a good action yarn that uses science as a mere springboard for fast-paced stories.
    MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES NO. 15 featuring FIRST DAYS OF A "NEW LOOK"

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    Of the Arthur C. Clarke books I've read, CHILDHOOD'S END
    I love that book.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Steakleys " Armor"

"Callahans Crosstime Saloon" as a TV series

Flints "1632"
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    They would be tough to pull off, I think. I suspect that the very same things that read so well in the books might not work well at all on screen, spoken and performed by actors.
    If they could attempt it with Dune, they can attempt it with Amber.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    If they could attempt it with Dune, they can attempt it with Amber.
    While that may be a compelling artistic argument, it's kind of a lousy commercial argument.
    Expletive Deleted

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    While that may be a compelling artistic argument, it's kind of a lousy commercial argument.
    I'm not sure the argument workds on either level: neither the film version nor the tv miniseries from a few years back were artistically successful, in my view. Lynch's movie was at best an interesting failure, and the tv series was more faithful but also more drab and lifeless.

I think Dune could be made into a good series of films, though. But Amber is a different kind of story.

Basically everything by Heinlein, because I think his stories(minus Farnham's Freehold, which would offend a lot of people) would translate well into the current era, or as a period piece like Magic, Inc.

Foundation trilogy.

I would appreciate a movie series for The Dresden Files that sticks closer to the canon of the books than the TV series did.

The Stars My Destination.

The Bartimaeus trilogy.

And that's just for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    Basically everything by Heinlein, because I think his stories(minus Farnham's Freehold, which would offend a lot of people) would translate well into the current era, or as a period piece like Magic, Inc.
    They made a pretty good The Puppet Masters film. I still haven't gotten around to watching Starship Troopers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    Foundation trilogy.
    I think this could work as a TV series as well maybe better suited because of the time jumps between different Seldon crisis. I've always been curious how they would do a live action Mule.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I think Dune could be made into a good series of films, though. But Amber is a different kind of story.
    Hmm, all in all Amber is quite an easy to grasp and straightforward story and there is really no concept who can't be easily explained to the audience.

Amber is the "real" reality, it projects and unlimited number of shadows of itself in which those of Amber royal blood can travel if they have walked through the Pattern. 9 bros, 4 sisters, not much in the family love department, race for the throne.

There, simple enough for a start.

And as it has been said before the fact that Corwin starts as ignorant as the audience about the whole deal and discovers all about it step by step simplifies a lot things.

I just finished The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes. I think it would make for a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Lynch's movie was at best an interesting failure...
    I give it a lot of credit for being interesting, failure notwithstanding. As you mention, the more literal TV adaptation was worthless.
    Expletive Deleted

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    I give it a lot of credit for being interesting, failure notwithstanding. As you mention, the more literal TV adaptation was worthless.
    I was surprised, however, by how good the sequel to the TV movie turned out to be (all things being relative). It wasn't quite there yet and I missed Saskia Reeves as Jessica, but many of the irritants from the first miniseries were gone: the Bene Gesserit ridiculous outfits, for one. The music was good. The costumes, sets and scenic CGI looked very good.

The "moving" CGI was mostly crap, though. The worms looked good for, like, one hour, and then turned into things from Rocket Robin Hood. And the laza tigers, ye gods... What's wrong with trained animals, that every beast must now be computer-animated? All the damned cats had to do was to run around looking menacing! All their killing happened off screen!

All in all a good effort, though, and I wouldn't have minded seeing God-emperor, Heretics and Chapterhouse done by the same people.

And the Brian Herbert stuff adapted by someone worthy of them, like Ed Wood.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog