BANNED

Default Black Canary (DC) vs. Mockingbird (Marvel)

Battle of the... wives of prominent archers.

Arena fight, no prep.

No sonic scream for Canary, no weapons/battle staves for Mockingbird; this is a hand to hand fight only.

Isn't Canary one of the highest ranked martial artists in the DCU? I can't really remember Mockingbird being at that level, but I only read a few issues with her in it.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Isn't Canary one of the highest ranked martial artists in the DCU? I can't really remember Mockingbird being at that level, but I only read a few issues with her in it.
    Black Canary is very good, but I wouldn't put her among the elite H2H fighters in the DCU, unless a broad definition of elite is used. And anyhoo, a title of "Nth best fighter in the DCU" doesn't mean anything when comparing her to a Marvel character.

Mockingbird's heydey was on the West Coast Avengers. I've only glanced at her appearances since she "came back" following the Skrull invasion. I don't think she's had any major changes in terms of fighting ability though they seemed to be playing her up to be a sort of spymaster in the Reunion mini. It seemed like a cool change, but I'm not sure if Bendis followed through with that in New Avengers.

I'm on the road now but I'll see if I can find any Mockingbird scans, I'm sure there's plenty more Black Canary stuff around - benefits of not being "dead."

Canary has some ridiculously good speedfeats to put her at comic book peak human and treats highly-trained people, high-stat people like retrained-Oliver Queen, Cheshire and Manhunter (Kate Spencer wearing her stat-amping battle-costume and using her energy-blasting weaponry) like trash (seriously, they're jokes to her). She takes on groups of highly trained martial artists and beats them down, straight hand to hand, while shrugging off whatever hits they do land.

Skillwise, I'd consider Canary at least at Dick Grayson level, if not a tad higher. Milage may vary.

I'm not familiar how well Mockingbird stacks up to this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    What's the deal with that? Is Mockingbird an intentional spoof of Black Canary?
    "Honest Abe's a 'mo!" - Hank Venture from the Venture Bros.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    What's the deal with that? Is Mockingbird an intentional spoof of Black Canary?
    Their similarities are striking, I'll give you that, but I'd bet it wasn't intentional - as in, Marvel didn't consciously set out to copy Black Canary, though that was the end result (somewhat.)

Still:
    -Both have bird themes
    -Both are blonde
    -Both are married to their universe's most prominent archer
    -Both are known to be H2H fighters (granted, I think Mockingbird was given more respect that Canary as a H2H fighter until recently)

If Mockingbird ever developed sound-based powers I would be a bit suspicious...