Default Ever Feel Overwhelmed?

It's kind of hard to explain, but I feel kind of "stuck" when it comes to reading comics.

I first started getting into them about a year or so ago. I was testing the waters in a lot of cases, and dablling around with a lot of different titles.

Actually, I found a lot that I liked... To make a long story short, I decided being a trade guy was more cost effecitve than being a guy picking up floppies.

So anyhow, I have started a handful of series, mostly to figure out what I liked.

Now, I feel stuck, not because I can't find something to read, but because there is a lot out there. I've started so much, but can't finish anything!

For example, I'm 2 books in on Preacher, 2 in on DMZ, 5 in on The Walking Dead, 1 in on Ex Machina, 3 books in on 100 Bullets, 2 books in on Northlanders, 3 Books in on Scalped, and I've read Vol 1 of Frank Miller's Daredevil Run.

And pretty much everything above, I like. I don't really like anything better than the other; they're all just different to me.

What I think I'm going to do is pick up a couple of Walking Dead and a couple of Preacher. Those are the two I'm the most vested in in terms of being completed or caught up trade-wise. It's just hard to do because in my mind, I want to see what happens in 100 Bullets, what happens in DMZ, etc.

I'm just curious if anyone ever feels the same way I do? Pretty much stop reading because you're so overwhelmed with what you've started. I seriously stopped reading for a few months, just because I felt like I was taking on too much.

I have had this happen to me with movies and video games. It's important to focus on one or two comic books at a time. You already know there's a thousand different titles out there; it's when you try tackling too many simultaneously that you become exhausted with the artform.

And as far as what comic book(s) you should read first, go with whatever seems fun or interesting. You're not obligated to read anything just because of its great reputation, and there's nothing wrong with buying books to read much later on.
    Last edited by jesse_custer; 02-01-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Cool exec, heart of steel BillR's Avatar

Read what you want, like what you want, buy it when you feel like it. This isn't rocket science, and it's not a clubhouse-- it's a storytelling medium.

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    Read what you want, like what you want, buy it when you feel like it. This isn't rocket science, and it's not a clubhouse-- it's a storytelling medium.
    I'm confused about the part I bolded. I feel like in a sense it is, because people meet up (whether in person, online, etc), and talk about what they like and don't like.

I guess I was just trying to vent. I really enjoy reading, but got derailed a little bit. Just curious if it is common amongst others as well, or if I'm just someone who has some issues (or both, ha!).

It's kind of inevitable in an information age, unfortunately-- the sheer volume of available media makes it that much more difficult to keep up with everything. To actually keep up with everything would be impossible for the limits of time, so I'd suggest asking yourself which series you really want to read more than all the others, finish that, then do the same for the next.

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    Until you've read enough, and you get the secret key to the rocket clubhouse.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Whatever you read I recommend you don't wait too long between volumes of 100 Bullets. It's very easy to get lost in that if you don't remember the previous volumes well enough.

If cost is an issue for you, rather than time or energy, you might want to see if your local library keeps graphic novels in stock. I know that the Ottawa Public Library (where I live... well, not in the library...) actually has a rather astounding selection.
    Now on Dollar Bin Blues: Black History Month? Valentine's Day? Why choose only one?
    Previously: Not My Content

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Now, I feel stuck, not because I can't find something to read, but because there is a lot out there. I've started so much, but can't finish anything!
    I know what you mean. I try to get my pull list down to about three comics and then there is something else that becomes a must read. I feel like Michael from the Godfather, "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in."

I've been in your position on many occasions, especially with series I discover late (Y: the Last Man and Walking Dead are good examples)

I'd recommend reading one volume per title then move on. Read your next volume of Preacher, then the next of Walking Dead and so on until your back to Preacher again. This way you get to enjoy all of the series, plus you have the anticipation of reading the next volume later on. I find that that anticipation heightens my enjoyment of all of the series I read.

I get stuck on books and video games, but not comics. Out of the 3 aforementioned formats, comics are by far the smallest commitment of time per piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
    I get stuck on books and video games, but not comics. Out of the 3 aforementioned formats, comics are by far the smallest commitment of time per piece of work.
    I think you might have misread what I was talking about. I wasn't talking about starting midway through a floppy or a trade and not finishing it. I meant stopping midway through a series (maybe the first couple of trades) and not picking up the next one.

I'm back on track now anyways. I have instituted a plan of attack that will help me enjoy things more and not feel overwhelmed. Something I didn't mention is that I have a list of true graphic novels I've been wanting to read as well. My idea is for each month to buy 1 or 2 continuing series trades, and 1 or 2 graphic novels each month.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    If cost is an issue for you, rather than time or energy, you might want to see if your local library keeps graphic novels in stock. I know that the Ottawa Public Library (where I live... well, not in the library...) actually has a rather astounding selection.
    That is a good suggestion. One thing I do enjoy about owning the books, is that if I forget something or want to look something up, it's easy for me to go back and re-read a section. I could see this happening with 100 Bullets.

At the same time, I'm not rich enough to own everything, and there are probably some that I could be just reading at the Library and not having to own.

I'll see what my local library has.