Page 7 of 288 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Oh wow. I'm super sad. Luffy's expression at the end brings me hope that he will be able to do something damaging to Akainu...but oda-logic (is that an oxymoron yet?) tells me otherwise. booooo.

Yeah, I mean, if powerful emotions bring out his haki...

Look out Akainu.

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    Weird. I just thought Dadan was just a "pet" name for Garp. Like how some people call one of their grandfathers "Pop" and a grandmother "Meemaw".
    Oh, you're probally correct then. I assumed Dadan was an actual name or something.

The scan I read gave me the impression it was a real name, since it didn't translate it as 'gramps' or something.

Although, I recall Garp specifically saying he left them in the care of a friend to finish their training, so I sorta assumed it was what was being referred to.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterbasset View Post
    Yeah, I mean, if powerful emotions bring out his haki...

Look out Akainu.
    Lets see....

Thinking that the women that helped him out might get smashed was enough for him to knock out random amazons at the arena....

Ace almost getting executed was enough to make people fighting at marineford pass out......

Now Ace just died in his arms......
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

Luffy is running on less than fumes right now. As much as I'd love for him to score his first kill on Akainu next chapter in an awesome display of awesomeness. I'm not 100% certain he can.
    "A fast low flying Power Girl could take out a platoon of soldiers without even throwing a punch."
    -someone on the DC forums

the demon king rules master of read's Avatar

hmmm guess i was the only one who noticed.

ace died with a smile on his face, just like his father.
    COCAINE IS MY GOD AND I AM THE LIVING INSTRUMENT OF ITS WILL!!
    snowflame, new guardians #2
    wanna make some quick cash?

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

I was about to note that. All D's do.
    "A fast low flying Power Girl could take out a platoon of soldiers without even throwing a punch."
    -someone on the DC forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post
    Luffy is running on less than fumes right now. As much as I'd love for him to score his first kill on Akainu next chapter in an awesome display of awesomeness. I'm not 100% certain he can.
    Your right. He's already been pumped up on a ridiculous amount of hormones that would kill anyone else, and this is after almost getting killed (multiple times), taking hormones before hand, participating in the biggest war to take place in this manga, and regularly taking beatings from people for the past 50 or so chapters. I don't think Luffy's ever pushed himself this far before. The farthest we'd seen before this was his fight with Lucci which left him immoble.

Maybe Aces death is sends Luffy into a coma and that face he made is him knocked out. Cue timeskip.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

I saw that too. I was sad but happy at the same time.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

"I have often regretted my speech, but never my silence."

... am I the only one who feels a bit... cheated?

I mean, what's Ace done so far in the manga? Blown up a couple battleships, had a fight with Blackbeard that we haven't even seen all of, kicks a bit of marine ass with Luffy, and then just... croaks?

Oda's built up the "powerhouses" of the OP-verse WAY better than this before. This just makes Ace look like his biggest purpose in the story is acting as a hostage and dying, or something.

Throw tomatoes at me if you wish, but I'd be mightily disappointed if he really did die here and now.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberLotus View Post

I mean, what's Ace done so far in the manga? Blown up a couple battleships, had a fight with Blackbeard that we haven't even seen all of, kicks a bit of marine ass with Luffy, and then just... croaks?

Oda's built up the "powerhouses" of the OP-verse WAY better than this before. This just makes Ace look like his biggest purpose in the story is acting as a hostage and dying, or something.

Throw tomatoes at me if you wish, but I'd be mightily disappointed if he really did die here and now.
    I actually felt the same way. It felt like he was severely underused before he was killed off.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

"I have often regretted my speech, but never my silence."

Quote Originally Posted by RubberLotus View Post

I was gonna say something similar, but decided to wait, but yeah.

For all the connotations that Ace's death bring, Oda sorta...rushed it, if this is it.

I'm annoyed that the second we get any background information on him, he dies.

I was a bit iffy on Ace's background reveal as well, if only because did it come out of right field, it might as well been a missile launched from the USA to Cuba.

It would have been noice, considering that Ace is the son of the guy who kickstarted the pirate age, and the adopted son of his greatest rival, to have a bit more background on the guy, considering he's luffy's big bro and all that.

It sorta dulls the impact for us, when we barely know the guy, and while we can sympathise with luffy, still.

The flashbacks helped, but not enough, IMO.

On the plus side, if he is gone, atleast he actually got to do something, unlike a certain someone in a Ninja manga. spoilers:
    Asuma. ;_;
    end of spoilers

Still, I *was* slightly ";_;" when Ace was crying, but it wasn't quite the moment it could have been, due to the fact he only recently really got explored as a character.

I don't recall there being *that* much to exploration of him the first two times we met him, the second time he was fighting Blackbeard, and then he's on the gallows or whatever.

Still, it was a good chapter all around. Probally the best chapter of the Arc so far, in terms of emotional impact and general " ;_;"
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miburohunter929 View Post
    Oh, you're probally correct then. I assumed Dadan was an actual name or something.

The scan I read gave me the impression it was a real name, since it didn't translate it as 'gramps' or something.

Although, I recall Garp specifically saying he left them in the care of a friend to finish their training, so I sorta assumed it was what was being referred to.
    No, the flashback earlier has Garp taking Luffy to Dadan, where he meets Ace for the first time. So Dadan *is* another person, it's just he's never been given an explanation apart from a name and association with Luffy's past.

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Silence View Post
    No, the flashback earlier has Garp taking Luffy to Dadan, where he meets Ace for the first time. So Dadan *is* another person, it's just he's never been given an explanation apart from a name and association with Luffy's past.
    Yeah, I reread the scene with Ace a moment ago, and the way he said "If you ever run across Dadan again" made me doubt it could be Garp.

Mostly because Garp is like...200 yards away or so, and even if he wasn't Luffys ambition, and Garp's duty almost make it so that crossing paths is practically an eventuality, barring some mishap.

But yeah, I'm wagering he's the guy who trained Ace and Luffy when Garp left.

something tells me "Demon King" Luffy will be a fitting nickname after this arc.
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by Miburohunter929 View Post

Whoops, no, Sound Silence and you've found what I missed the first time. Sorry about that.
    Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight