View Poll Results: Do you like Jubilee?

Voters
309. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • I LOVE Jubilee, she's the BEST!

113 36.57%
  • I like Jubilee, she's a pretty good character.

121 39.16%
  • She's hit and miss.

49 15.86%
  • All miss, no hit.

26 8.41%
Page 71 of 135 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2019

Jubilee's current look is hideous. Has there been any talk with curing her vampirism? Its been a while. Do her fans like this development with her character?

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_boyfriend View Post

Also, Gischler is still apparently giving Jubes the 'teenage vampire girl' crutch, according to the recap page, to make her seem less than worthly. You mean to tell me that, even though she has existed in the comics since 1989, the girl is still a teenager? I don't like when writers use her young age (even though she should be in her 20s easily,) as a handicap. She has more stripes under her belt than any other X-Character for her age... and should be written as having equal respect from her teammates instead of poorly thought out criticisms from Storm, etc. Marjorie Liu is great at noting the maturity and experience of her character... Kathryn Immonen took many strides to do so as well. It should be the same for other writers, too.
    Yeah, that line really ticked me off. Her staying teenaged the same way Bobby Drake is still in his twenties and Tony Stark is still in his thirties, I can forgive. But presenting it as detracting from her chances is another story. She could take care of herself before she became her vampire, since then she's been written as having physical abilities at Namor's level. I'm hoping they'll arrive to see her victorious. Especially if she's gonna leave afterward.

Glargh! Take a couple months off this forum (damn work projects), come back to find that *editorial* has taken my favourite character out AGAIN. And after raising our hopes all these months over her, too. Was a little annoyed when I realised the rest of the Adjectiveless cast were being featured in AvX as part of Utopia while she was not. Then I found out why. Sadface. And replacing her with Pixie! The levels of irony...

I suppose it didn't help that sales of Adjectiveless have been dropping like a rock. It used to do around 50K sales if I recall right. Last I saw it's doing 36k. My guess is Marvel took a quick look and assumed it was the "B tier" characters causing the slide. Warpath and Jubilee's absence in major arcs like Schism and Regenesis kind of make sense now. Editorial might have been unsure about fully re-integrating her into the books and the issues featuring her heavily just failed the sales litmus test.

Hopefully they're just moving Jubilee elsewhere, because if they put her back in limbo I think I'm done with the X-books. There's only so much reminiscing and speculation one can do without new material, and better games, books, television and even other comics to be entertained by. These X-books just don't have the characters and..."feel" of the books I grew up with. When things got really busy of late, I found myself really just reading for Jubes.

On reflection I did get used to the idea of Vampire Jubilee eventually, but I never really enjoyed her character as a vampire. The best stories by Liu and Immonen made me enjoy reading about Jubes *in spite* of her being a vampire. I keep reading in the hope that Jubilee would somehow regain a bit of that magic she had in the 90's, whether it was through restoring her mutant powers or finally being fully acknowledged as a part of the X-men. Now that she appears to be returning to limbo again, I think it's safe to say at this point turning her into a vampire was an all-round terribad idea.

In a weird way, it's kind of easy to accept that the old Jubilee is dead (irony unintended) in letting go of the X-books. Just wish her (possibly) last appearance didn't leave me with this depressing memory of her character. All those unfulfilled promises and potential, out not with a bang, but a whimper. And from editorial, no less.

I get the feeling this time round if there are no immediate plans for her, she may not be featured in another book for a long time. The appeal of flying to Comic Con this year just dimmed that little bit for me tsk.

</depressedragerant>

Marvel's Next Big Thing Article

Fan questions started with a fan asking if Jubilee will be showing up anywhere as she's soon leaving the adjective-less "X-Men" title. Ketchum said that the character was one who, like many X-characters in the past, Marvel was taking off the table for a short time to find a place to let them come back with a bigger impact. As usual, the final word was "Stay tuned."
    It's good Jubilee was the first fan question brought up. Hopefully they take note of that. Though the response seems to suggest they don't have anything planned, at least in the immediate future (otherwise they'd tease something). Best we can hope for is that she'll get a better writer some time after this rubbish A vs X event ties up. Hopefully this "short time" isn't as long as for Rachel Summers et al stuck in space.

Welcome back NPC. :)
    I don't think Jubilee or Warpath can really be blamed for adjectiveless sales record. Its sales were dropping pretty steadily regardless of which temporary cast they were using (and that mostly contained cyclops, wolverine etc...):

It's more a case of disconnected and uninspired storytelling, coupled with an oversaturated market. When people decide which book they have to drop to make way for the newest title launch, the one with no long term plot or character development, and not even a consistent cast will have a disadvantage. It'd be unwise for editorial to use Vampire Jubilee as a scapegoat, as they were the ones (not Gischler) who planned the whole "Jubilee is a Vampire" bit.

Heh thanks Herring, missed reading your commentaries with their usual side of snark. ;) Unfortunately this news had to happen ugh.

I don't know if editorial connected Jubilee to sales for sure, but I suspect it factored in somewhere. I wonder if Gischler leaving was a sudden thing, I recall him in interviews this year talking about his plans for Adjectiveless like he'd be around for a while and developing Jubilee and her relationships with the X-men. Which gives me the image of editorial suddenly realising that plummeting line on the sales chart belonged to Adjectiveless, spitting out their coffee and making the call they should have made long ago.

Jubilee does have the worst luck with writers though. The last time she was written decently on a regular basis was in Gen X. Wood didn't do her credit on Gen X, but at least he's a better writer. And they're removing her from the title with Gischler. After all that hype with her being the featured character in the Regenesis cover reveals and talk of plans for the character, feels like the rug was pulled from under us. She didn't even get a proper chance to shine (X-23 - 20 issues in a solo book!). The only hope is Ketchum's answer that they're just taking a relook at her place in the Marvel U, but I'm not holding my breath. That "stay tuned" sounded more like what you'd use to dismiss and cut off further questioning on the topic.

On a tangent, finally had the time to finish Final Fantasy XIII-2 and raging at the ending + plans for upcoming story DLC. Apparently not a great year to be my amongst my favourite characters. :p

Quote Originally Posted by NPC016 View Post
    Heh thanks Herring, missed reading your commentaries with their usual side of snark. ;) Unfortunately this news had to happen ugh.

I don't know if editorial connected Jubilee to sales for sure, but I suspect it factored in somewhere. I wonder if Gischler leaving was a sudden thing, I recall him in interviews this year talking about his plans for Adjectiveless like he'd be around for a while and developing Jubilee and her relationships with the X-men. Which gives me the image of editorial suddenly realising that plummeting line on the sales chart belonged to Adjectiveless, spitting out their coffee and making the call they should have made long ago.
    Checked Gischler's blog (shudder). He claims he knew for quite a while that he was being kicked off, which might explain why he usually said about four (4) lines total in the CBR interviews and X-Position he gave. I suspect he was under contract and they couldn't replace him until that expired.

Apparently he's only doing creator owned stuff now (thus far consisting of images of two female characters with very large breasts), which presumably means neither marvel nor DC have offered him further work. I actually kind of feel sorry for Gischler, he was clearly pushed in the deep end (little prior experience in comics to writing what should have been a flag ship book), and had probably the most severe editorial micromanagement of any Marvel book. On the other hand his limited comic writing skills have resulted in Jubilee being benched, so I'm Raeging at him at the same time.

On a tangent, finally had the time to finish Final Fantasy XIII-2 and raging at the ending + plans for upcoming story DLC. Apparently not a great year to be my amongst my favourite characters. :p
    LOL, the last final fantasy I played was VI for the the super nintendo! Though I'm still shaking my head at what they pulled at the end of mass effect 3. :p
    Last edited by Herring; 04-18-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Lol creator-owned stuff as in a...Spike miniseries for the Buffy comics? Ugh. And he gets to write another personal favourite again! (Granted, I loved Spike only up till near the end of S6...)

My take on his writing is that yes, his run did suffer from editorial interference, but he didn't do much to help himself either. It kind of struck me as a writer not realising what he'd signed on for, and after an enthusiastic start, his attitude towards the book eventually devolved into "I write because they pay me". Which accounts for the by the numbers plotting and cliche dialogue. Of course, regardless of his writing quality, he now has "X-men vol. 3" on his CV and will be able to get comic writing gigs elsewhere *shudder*.

Think I'll take a day to digest #27 before I post a stream of consciousness rant about it tsk... good god Gischler, you're a published novelist. Whatever happened to show, not tell?

Quote Originally Posted by NPC016 View Post
    Lol creator-owned stuff as in a...Spike miniseries for the Buffy comics? Ugh. And he gets to write another personal favourite again! (Granted, I loved Spike only up till near the end of S6...)
    LOL. Just when I was feeling sorry for him, he manages to score another deal. My feelings are now a lot less conflicted.

I suppose it looked good on paper: "this guy wrote alot of comics about vampires". Dark Horse should have probably tried reading a few of his comics, or read some reviews before getting out the cheque book. Of course it might turn out that it was entirely the old editor's fault, and Gischler actually does well on the book. It's an interesting experiment, except we (the buyers) are the gunnea pigs in it.

My take on his writing is that yes, his run did suffer from editorial interference, but he didn't do much to help himself either. It kind of struck me as a writer not realising what he'd signed on for, and after an enthusiastic start, his attitude towards the book eventually devolved into "I write because they pay me". Which accounts for the by the numbers plotting and cliche dialogue. Of course, regardless of his writing quality, he now has "X-men vol. 3" on his CV and will be able to get comic writing gigs elsewhere *shudder*.
    Agree strongly with this. Although even at the start, his work displayed some serious problems with pacing (the conclusion to the first vampire arc, for example). His eventual solution to that seems to have been to remove most of the content :p

Realised something else. Hope Summers may think she's badass repeatedly headbutting in AvX 0. Here Jubilee shows that Hope's still a lightweight: Deliberately impale yourself to jam the enemy's sword. Pull more of the sword through you to get close to the enemy. Then headbutt. That's true hardcore. :p
    Last edited by Herring; 04-19-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Dead in a comic does not mean dead. No matter what THEY say.

Loved her in the Outback. After that she was hit or miss.

Next week's X-Position is an 'ask the editors' special. I'm going to try my luck at asking questions about Jubilee... what is next for her, etc...
    Do the same if you wish. The more questions about Jubilee, the better chance at getting an answer. :)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=38335

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_boyfriend View Post
    Next week's X-Position is an 'ask the editors' special. I'm going to try my luck at asking questions about Jubilee... what is next for her, etc...
    Do the same if you wish. The more questions about Jubilee, the better chance at getting an answer. :)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=38335
    Good plan. Hoping a question gets through :)

Right now there's a ton of negativity in the thread, which while justified is not something Jubilee would approve of. So I'm posting Jubilee laughing while flying on the back of a sentinel to lighten the mood.

And blowing a couple of them up, still laughing. :p

Something I actually appreciated about the adjectiveless appearances with Will Conrad was that he'd draw Jubilee looking like she was having fun. It seemed to be a bit of a reference to Jubilee's 90s X-Men appearances. Back then she'd be grinning that she was along for the ride with the X-Men, particularly when jumping out of the X-Jet or doing something similarly dangerous.

I just sent a question about why the current Gen Xers are never allowed to interact together on panel.
    I do not expect it to be answered but what the hell....

Loved X-Men #27, Jubilee rocked and it was a fitting end to the arc. I would love for Raizo and the Forgiven to get their own book that deals strickly with vampires and their culture/politics. Incorporating them into the X-Men seemed a bite off. Giving Marvel's Vampires their own book/universe, with Blade running around for good measure, would be nice. I will miss Jubilee being with the X-Men, but if she ends up in a book that vamp-centric I will read it.
    I am a Mom now... I don't have time for your crappy X-movies Bryan Singer!!!

Herring... I love the scans that you put up of Jubilee fighting the Sentinels. Also, I've never seen the one with her riding on Wolverine's back as they fall/fly from the X-Jet.
    It is rare that I find an image of Jubes that I've never seen... so thanks a lot :D.

Well, they didn't answer my questions about Jubilee in the latest X-Position... but I just sent in another one since next week is focusing on Marjorie Liu.
    Send Marjorie some questions about Jubilee. I'm sure that if enough are asked, we will get a response this time.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=38447