Page 140 of 284 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190240 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 4258

African Queen

A film i rented because of Bogart/Huston and i wasn't disappointed it was an epic film,journey on those rivers. With a top director and great actors like Bogart, Hepburn you can make any story exciting to watch.

Next i think i will rent a K. Hepburn film and see her other top roles.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

African Queen is awesome. I think Huston and Bogie had a wilder time after they stopped shooting for the day though, as legend goes. Hepburn is great, my fave is A Philadelphia Story with Hep, Cary Grant & Jimmy Stewart. It's a rom com but an absolute classic. Big stars, big laughs and a whole lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by lboinyamouf4sho View Post
    why was he so prone to violence as simply a decent looking stuntman?? and he seemed rather seasoned the way he conducted himself during a crime.

a lot of the time when he'd just stand there silently and maybe smile i'd wonder "WTF is he stupid or something??"

your right i didn't read the book, but i don't think i should have to either.

nothing against anybody who enjoyed the movie or goslings performance more than i did, i'm not a film critic just giving my thoughts.
    No you dont have to read the book. It was quality performance by Rosling that carried the film in my mind. If you didnt believe his actions, his smiles even i can see why you wouldnt been keen on the film.
    Pull List:

X-Men: First Class

Really enjoyed seeing this again, probably my favorite X-Men film.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    African Queen is awesome. I think Huston and Bogie had a wilder time after they stopped shooting for the day though, as legend goes. Hepburn is great, my fave is A Philadelphia Story with Hep, Cary Grant & Jimmy Stewart. It's a rom com but an absolute classic. Big stars, big laughs and a whole lot of fun.
    The stories of shooting African Queen sound funny, I remember hearing something, I think it was on Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff that everyone got sick from drinking the water while they were making that movie, besides Huston & Bogart, because they only drank scotch or whiskey...I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    OSS 117: Cairo - Nest of Spies

So after all the buzz following The Artist's Oscar win, I decided to check out another collaboration between star Jean Dujardin and director Michael Hazanavicius. This was a well received spy comedy that I had been recommended before as I am a huge fan of spy films, serious and spoofs. This movie is a lot of fun and despite the 50s setting, the humor is very modern as Middle East and Egyptian religion & culture is not off limits, including the way Westerners look at it. Love the character of OSS 117 and Dujardin plays it wonderfully. Now I will definitely track down the sequel. This was pure fun.
    I keep meaning to watch OSS 117: Lost in Rio, I remember seeing trailers for that on, I think, A Prophet and The Secret in Their Eyes (which are both great movies), and maybe on those Men Who Hate Women movies.

Touch of Evil

My second Orson Welles film after Citizen Kane but i think this one convinced me of Welles legendary status more. What looked like a simple story became much more because he is such an artist with the camera,lighting, the use of shadows, the screenplay that was dripping with the corruption of the characters. Every picture, frame was so powerful that i felt like staring at them.
    Pull List:

The only truly good stuff in Drive was the opening sequence and the violence. The story was preposterous, even for this sort of thing, and the film was mainly a bunch of ideas borrowed from films like Taxi Driver, Halloween, and Oldboy, only Refn pretends it's something more than a mash up (Doomsday, in contrast, was much more honest about being a mash up).

Watch Le Samourai instead.

The Next Three Days
    A Russell Crowe prison break thriller directed by Paul Haggis. Fairly enjoyable film. Nothing really new or unique, shows an everyman avg. Joe desperate to save his falsely accused wife and restore his family by breaking her out and going rogue. Not bad.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Whiteout - yeah, it really was that lifeless and flat.
    I agree. Such a disappointing adaptation of a great comic story.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I watched The Mighty Macs on DVD last night.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    The only truly good stuff in Drive was the opening sequence and the violence. The story was preposterous, even for this sort of thing, and the film was mainly a bunch of ideas borrowed from films like Taxi Driver, Halloween, and Oldboy, only Refn pretends it's something more than a mash up (Doomsday, in contrast, was much more honest about being a mash up).

Yeah it is no Le Samurai but i dont think he just borrowed ideas from famous films you mention. None of those ideas was new when the oldes of those films was made. Old Boy was hardly the first to do violence like that. Gangster, revenge story is hardly new thing.

The first half was better i thought. The opening sequence, the slow build, the acting,the violence. The end became just generic criminals killing each other story.
    Pull List:

Taxi Driver, Halloween, and Oldboy all have distinct identities despite their influences. Drive is a mash up with no cultural importance. It was much more an exercise in homage than any of the aforementioned films.

I watched Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.
    The Ghost Rider scenes and the Blackout scenes were cool.
    The story was interesting enough,but Cage acting was way over the top in a few scenes which took me off the movie.
    Over all a decent B-Marvel movie with some trully awesome scenes.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post

and the music!!
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order