Page 16 of 284 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Talk about odd movie watching yesterday:

Gidget
    Yes, I'm a sucker for cheesy late 1950s/early 60s teen flicks and this Sandra Dee classic is a great film. The horrible green screen effects of them surfing alone is worth a chuckle or 2. A fun film overall.

Palm Springs Weekend
    Another cheesy teen bedroom comedy starring Troy Donahue, Stephanie Powers, Connie Stevens, Jerry Van Dyke, Bill Mumy, Ty Hardin and a very slim and handsome Robert Conrad. Teenagers partying in Palm Springs on their break.. music, swimming, swinging music and brawls ensue. Some laughs but mainly I watch it for the furniture and the cars.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
    My favorite of the "Written & Directed by" John Hughes; probably my favorite of his overall. Steve Martin and John Candy star in this comedy classic as Martin's trying to get home to Chicago for Thanksgiving but weather prohibits him to getting a direct flight. Candy is the man that'll get him home at any cost. Great writing, brilliant comedic acting and just a wonderful movie any time of the year.
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

i watched "High Noon" with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly. Really an interesting western movie imo. Not a lot of action, but good story.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ned McDodd View Post
    i watched "High Noon" with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly. Really an interesting western movie imo. Not a lot of action, but good story.
    Great film. So much more than "just a Western!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE KING OF COMEDY (1982)
    director. Martin Scorsese
    writer. Paul D. Zimmerman
    Starring: Robert deNiro, Jerry Lewis and Sandra Bernhard

Brief Synopsis: pathetic underdog Rupert Pupkin (deNiro) wants to break into comedy, but he doesn't want to do it the old fashioned way. He wants to make it big instantly, and his obsessive "friendship" with famed comedy host Jerry Langford (Lewis) maybe just the ticket...

Thoughts: FINALLY! Finally I've found a Martin Scorsese film I can love (that said I haven't seen Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974) or Raging Bull (1980), so maybe there are more Scorsese films waiting in the wing for me to truly enjoy). To be honest I'm not a massive fan of his work. It's always too long and just too much. But that has now changed. What a fantastic script, and a fantastic film. Imagine Network (1974) meets Chicago (2002) and you have the idea. Robert deNiro (an actor I've never really enjoyed) really surprised me with this performance, creating many wonderful scenes almost painful to watch (in the sense of uncomfortable awkwardness). It's not easy making a character so "wrong" yet oddly sympathetic. I have nothing to fault with this film; even the Scorsese "flare" which so often takes me out of his other films worked SO WELL in this film, creating the "imaginary world" inside Pupkin's head. Despite a lack of soundtrack, the film does have great songs at the beginning and the end, which capture the mood and the time of the piece perfectly. If like me you have never enjoyed a Scorsese film, go try this one. Maybe his best films are the ones far removed from gangsters? Who knows?
    ~ rating: 5 out of 5 [grade: A]

N.B. added to my "Top 100" list
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

From Parts Unknown... clayholio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    White Heat(1949)

A great film Noir with the kind of noir i like with criminals double crossing each other.

James Cagney was so intense,powerful in his role.

For once TCM showed a real classic.
    That's a fantastic movie!

Rewatching movies this weekend. "Wanted" and "The Hangover." I enjoyed both of them the 2nd time around...

"The Seven Year Itch"

Also...

"Some Like It Hot."

The Last Station

Some excellent performances and an often witty script is letdown by the film constantly belly flopping into melodrama. Not bad, not great.

Away We Go

Really loved this one. My only real complaint is that the last twenty minutes or so lacks for the good solid laughs that came with the rest of the film. Actually, it's the laughs that were such a surprise. That it was a touching, nicely acted little indie film wasn't all that surprising but I was pleasantly surprised by how genuinely hilarious it was at time. There are some damn funny turns from the supporting cast - too many, in fact to mention, but special kudos must go to John Krasinski who was very charimatic and likable but seriously funny too.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I hardly think that's any of your business.

Hercules
    It's been years since I watched this, it was pretty good.

Shrek the Third
    Only watched it once before in theaters, didn't like it that much. A little better the second time though.

Star Trek: Generations.

It's been awhile since I've watch it; the changed ending really stands out now.
    "I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

Nick Helm, funniest gag winner, Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Quote Originally Posted by LtMarvel View Post
    Star Trek: Generations.

It's been awhile since I've watch it; the changed ending really stands out now.
    Changed ending? You mean the ending was redone after the initial film release?

For myself:

Flightplan

Liked it. I ignored the many glaring plot holes and just enjoyed it. Jodie Foster did an amazing acting job as usual. Supporting cast was pretty good too. Very interesting visually as well.

The Robe

First movie ever filmed in Cinemascope (widescreen). Great Biblical film.

Richard Burton plays Roman military tribune Marcellus Gallio, the man who (in this story) crucifies Jesus. It sounds like it would be a heavy film but it's not at all. In fact the tone is fairly light at times. It's a very moving and inspirational film.

Won Oscars for costumes, sets, and art direction. Watched the Blu-Ray version. Gorgeous.

Clash of the Titans (2010)

Thundering with mediocrity.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Quote Originally Posted by show name View Post
    Changed ending? You mean the ending was redone after the initial film release?

For myself:

Flightplan

Liked it. I ignored the many glaring plot holes and just enjoyed it. Jodie Foster did an amazing acting job as usual. Supporting cast was pretty good too. Very interesting visually as well.

The Robe

First movie ever filmed in Cinemascope (widescreen). Great Biblical film.

Richard Burton plays Roman military tribune Marcellus Gallio, the man who (in this story) crucifies Jesus. It sounds like it would be a heavy film but it's not at all. In fact the tone is fairly light at times. It's a very moving and inspirational film.

Won Oscars for costumes, sets, and art direction. Watched the Blu-Ray version. Gorgeous.
    The ending in the film wasn't the original ending. Kirk and Picard's battle scenes with Malcom really showed the splicing.
    "I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

Nick Helm, funniest gag winner, Edinburgh Fringe Festival

BANNED

Star Trek (remake) great movie and acting and special fx .

I think it's kind of funny how they broke the unspoken rules of time travel that two versions of the same person cant see each other in the same time.

The Kingdom. Man, what an intense film. My heart was racing after Jason Bateman's character was kidnapped. From there on, it was nonstop action.

I really liked it. Blu ray, here I come baby!

Deathrace w/ Jason Statham.

Was it me, or the original Frankenstein sounded like Ian McShane behind the mask? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by carlyquin View Post
    watched hamlet 2 this morning while waiting for fed ex, pretty funny
    I finally got around to watching that movie. It was pretty damn funny.
    CBUB original

Flying is the second greatest thrill. Landing is the first.

Ikiru

Decent.

There Will Be Blood

Good first half but descends into incoherence.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy