Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Flogging A Dead Horse - Jan 27, 2010

Paul Jenkins' latest installment of FLOGGING is lovingly dedicated to one of the world's most recognizable and beloved childrens characters - and marketing juggernauts - Thomas the (Anthropomorphic) Tank Engine!

Full article here.

Great read

I was down with Curious George for a while, but me and Thomas never got on as well. In fact, if I remember correctly, I had no interest in the guy whatsoever. I never liked his look...That frozen smiley face doesn't seem inviting; it seems suspicious, if not downright spooky.

It's kind of like the Stay-Puft marshmellow man. You know...from Ghostbusters? You just know that frozen smiley face can't stay on forever. Eventually it's gonna twist into a snarl, or a deformed face-facsimile, like the ghost mask in the Scream movies...

Can't you see it in your minds eye...? ::Shudder::

SPOOKY

Default Also...

Plus, he is a dick. You forgot to mention that.

Last summer, my bride took our Cub to see Thomas at Tweetsie Railroad. I missed out due to recent abdominal surgery. I understand the show is more of an immersive experience there, what with frequent Indian attacks and what-not. He quite enjoyed it, and remains a huge fan of the cheeky little engine.

I agree Thomas's antics often rise beyond the level of "cheekiness." Good thing Sir Topham Hat is a forgiving sort. Still, I find the little blue engine's adventures to be quite soothing after a long day of defending pedo's and drunk-drivers.

Apparently my great-grandparents used to harp on about starving kids in Africa, and that you couldn't waste food like they did during the war, to my mother and her siblings.
    Thankfully, my grandmother was there to point out that the war was over, and that they weren't in Africa.
    Of course, that didn't stop her one time from holding my mothers nose until she couldn't breathe and force feeding her a heart - a sheep's or a cows, I believe.
    Into her fifties, my mother still holds a grudge about that one.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Default Defending Pedos...

Quote Originally Posted by bhr3s View Post
    Last summer, my bride took our Cub to see Thomas at Tweetsie Railroad. I missed out due to recent abdominal surgery. I understand the show is more of an immersive experience there, what with frequent Indian attacks and what-not. He quite enjoyed it, and remains a huge fan of the cheeky little engine.

I agree Thomas's antics often rise beyond the level of "cheekiness." Good thing Sir Topham Hat is a forgiving sort. Still, I find the little blue engine's adventures to be quite soothing after a long day of defending pedo's and drunk-drivers.
    Then I suggest the Adventures of Caillou on PBS, that will get you riled up and ready to just fuck up a drunk driver's day. Caillou is some kind of bald little Canadian freak with severe ADD. His adventures revolve around things like playing in a sandbox and play-acting with his friends. Even worse than Thomas.

Little Dude wants to be Caillou when he grows up. I want him to be a rocket tester. Something has to give.

Default Damn, dude...

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyGreenJerusalem View Post
    Apparently my great-grandparents used to harp on about starving kids in Africa, and that you couldn't waste food like they did during the war, to my mother and her siblings.
    Thankfully, my grandmother was there to point out that the war was over, and that they weren't in Africa.
    Of course, that didn't stop her one time from holding my mothers nose until she couldn't breathe and force feeding her a heart - a sheep's or a cows, I believe.
    Into her fifties, my mother still holds a grudge about that one.
    That is so messed up it is awesome. My Uncle Jerry used to be into eating hearts. I remember when I visited him in prison one time he told me he was going to cut my heart out and eat it.

Oh, how we all laughed.

Little Dude is about the age my kid is, right, five or so? Caillou is a bald moron who should be beaten up by Charlie Brown for stealing his yellow t-shirt baldheaded kid schtickt.

Luckily, my kid never got into Thomas... the Backyardigans are pretty cool and I enjoyed them with him, as well as Piggly Winks and a newer one I haven't watched much, Sid The Scientist Kid. Of course, my boy also loves watching the History Channel with me, so that makes us even.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I see he was born in March 2006... so he's almost four years old, one year and months younger than mine.
    Last edited by Lord MaGnUs; 02-15-2010 at 11:53 AM.