Page 14 of 670 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114514 ... LastLast

I've just been thinking. Is Emma the most retconned X-Man of all time? Or does that honor still go to Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfreeman View Post
    I've just been thinking. Is Emma the most retconned X-Man of all time? Or does that honor still go to Wolverine.
    are you kidding?

Psylocke
    Bishop
    Rachel Grey/Summers
    Cable
    Polaris
    etc
    My Canon > Your Canon

I didn't think there were that many, but that might depend on how you define a retcon.

Which did you have in mind?

(To answer the question, no, Wolverine is still the best at what he does. )

Quote Originally Posted by nikbackm View Post
    I didn't think there were that many, but that might depend on how you define a retcon.

Which did you have in mind?

(To answer the question, no, Wolverine is still the best at what he does. )
    Well, no matter what you think about her age retcon (I've heard some pretty strong arguments about her being younger than fans thought going back to the 80's), but the solo book completely threw out a lot of the stuff established in her flashbacks in Gen X. You're right about others hainvg more retcons, but I don't completely agree about Wolverine. WE knew NOTHING about his past for years, so all this stuff established about his life before the X-Men wasn't much of a retcon, or at least of how I think of a retcon.

Oh, and did anyone check out Wolverine: Weapon X? Emma has a nice but brief cameo.

Wolverine's healing factor does tend to vary depending on the author...does that count as retcon?

Well, no matter what you think about her age retcon (I've heard some pretty strong arguments about her being younger than fans thought going back to the 80's)
    I prefer Emma's age pre-retcon. I do not see her in her late 20s, add another decade and that is where I see her, age-wise, or maybe mid-30s. Although that is the age I perceive most of the x-men to be, in their 30s, it is an age that feels right for the majority of the characters, Cyclops, Storm, Beast, etc. There are exceptions such as Iceman, but for the most part, I consider the core x-men to be mostly 30-something. It seems to be a stigma attached to characters above a certain age, that the x-men cannot be in their 30s for whatever reason.

Saying that, I found the Emma Frost solo really well-done and insightful, no matter if it did retcon elements of Emma's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind_Witch View Post
    I prefer Emma's age pre-retcon. I do not see her in her late 20s, add another decade and that is where I see her, age-wise, or maybe mid-30s. Although that is the age I perceive most of the x-men to be, in their 30s, it is an age that feels right for the majority of the characters, Cyclops, Storm, Beast, etc. There are exceptions such as Iceman, but for the most part, I consider the core x-men to be mostly 30-something. It seems to be a stigma attached to characters above a certain age, that the x-men cannot be in their 30s for whatever reason.

Saying that, I found the Emma Frost solo really well-done and insightful, no matter if it did retcon elements of Emma's life.
    I wish it hadn't ended with so many unresolved plot threads. It's a little annoying.

I wish it hadn't ended with so many unresolved plot threads. It's a little annoying.
    True, but one can fill in most of the blanks. I wish it continued into the Hellfire club era of Emma's life, although it would have been a completely different feel to the mini-series as it stands now.

True, but one can fill in most of the blanks. I wish it continued into the Hellfire club era of Emma's life, although it would have been a completely different feel to the mini-series as it stands now.
    I would have liked her deal with her brother as well. Her relationship with Adrienne was given closure, but I'd like to see Cordelia again.

I prefer Emma's age pre-retcon. I do not see her in her late 20s, add another decade and that is where I see her, age-wise, or maybe mid-30s.
    Are you referring to her self proclaimed age of 27...or whatever, during Morrison's run?
    Because I interpreted that as a cliche moment where a woman lies about her age. An attempt at humor..?
    I never believed she was ACTUALLY that young.
    And given her implied history with plastic surgery and maintaining her youthful appearance...I always believed she was in her 40's.
    cpjudd.com

"Um, blah, blah, blah. And, Girl Power. Feminism, d'you know what I mean?"

Quote Originally Posted by shavoxin View Post
    I would have liked her deal with her brother as well. Her relationship with Adrienne was given closure, but I'd like to see Cordelia again.
    I would rather see Adrienne than Cordelia again, but that would take away from Emma shooting her own sister dead, so perhaps it is for the best she stays dead.

Quote Originally Posted by yanapryde View Post
    Are you referring to her self proclaimed age of 27...or whatever, during Morrison's run?
    Because I interpreted that as a cliche moment where a woman lies about her age. An attempt at humor..?
    I never believed she was ACTUALLY that young.
    And given her implied history with plastic surgery and maintaining her youthful appearance...I always believed she was in her 40's.
    Yes, there is that. I got the sense of Emma saying a lot of things, sometimes outlandish, for the effect of saying them on others during Morrison's run, like attributing her hellfire days to drugs and branding the students "illiterates" in jean's presence. Perhaps her stating she was 27 was in a similar vein.

But, in her solo miniseries, it adds to the statement of her being 27 by making her timeline fit so she would be that age at that time in Morrison's run, so obviously that statement was taken seriously by someone, somewhere, and artwork of her shows an obvious change from 80s to now, where she appears visually older in the 80s than the 00s/10s.

Yes, there is that. I got the sense of Emma saying a lot of things, sometimes outlandish, for the effect of saying them on others during Morrison's run, like attributing her hellfire days to drugs and branding the students "illiterates" in jean's presence. Perhaps her stating she was 27 was in a similar vein.

But, in her solo miniseries, it adds to the statement of her being 27 by making her timeline fit so she would be that age at that time in Morrison's run, so obviously that statement was taken seriously by someone, somewhere, and artwork of her shows an obvious change from 80s to now, where she appears visually older in the 80s than the 00s/10s.
    I'm sorry but it's kind of annoying when people assume that Morrison retconned her age. Generation X actually gives you the exact numbers to work out Emma's age. Emma was 24 and something weeks/days in Generation X.

And she wasn't visually older either. See the Firestar mini series or Emma's Classic X-Men backstory.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 02-04-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    I'm sorry but it's kind of annoying when people assume that Morrison retconned her age. Generation X actually gives you the exact numbers to work out Emma's age. Emma was 24 and something weeks/days in Generation X.
    So she was only the White Queen for 4 years? In the solos series, she was last seen around 19 leaving univeristy after Astrid Bloom, so she must have first encountered the x-men when she was around...22 maybe? That doesn't sound right. I am sure Claremont would not have devised someone in so high a position at that age.

Plus:

This is the firestar miniseries, and she looks older than 24 to me.

Besides, wasn't Emma conceived as a direct rival for Xavier? Unlikely she would have been at so young an age.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Emma was 24 and something weeks/days in Generation X.
    So given over a decade she aged 3 years to 27: in the 80s she must have been 21 using the same age passed, and the x-men encountered her at the start of the 80s -- so that means going by the solo series, she would have been at the hellfire club for two years which is unlikely, or not going by the solo series, that is still a very young age, 21, to be in so high a position and to command so much authority as she did as White Queen, aside from in her first appearance she does not look like 21 at all.