Page 190 of 235 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 3517
  1. #2836
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Wow. You're first person I've ever heard say that Avengers Academy was supposed to be a satire. I had no idea that the book was intended on being a joke.
    . . . That's not my point at all. One joke does not a satire make. The entire series is actually full of meta-comments and gags (Mettle's status as a meme on 4chan, suggesting that Finesse turn evil and get a boob window, "Get back in your cell. Or I'll give you cancer."), but that is not the point of it.

    Buffy the Vampire Slayer is full of gags too, but that's not the focus. Horror was.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  2. #2837
    never stop growing
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    94

    Default

    This is my very first post on this forum I have been lurking around for a few months and I like to express my admiration for this fine and well developed character.
    X-23 alias Laura Kinney is not only my favorite comic book character but also the very reason I restarted reading comic books altogether. Thus even if one day I prefer another deeper, even more compelling character to her, I will always remember that it was this poor little pup with adamantium claws that got me back into something I gave up as childish over 12 years ago and let me discover how adult, well developed and deep supposedly at young teens orientated comic books can be.
    I greatly enjoyed and felt greatly inspired by the stories of this poor little victim that slowly claws out of her misery, out of the prison in her mind and cuts out her own path through the daily madness into an actual life, a life that should have been her own and so many just take for granted and/or recklessly through away. What I like best about her is that every day she gets up, she goes out into the world and really tries to make her life better, actually worth living. It's very dark, depressingly so, and yet, isn't it that what being a hero(ine) is all about? To never give up on life? To go on and try to make it better?
    And I really like how caring Gambit was, they made a great duo. And I never liked Hellion (I hate jerks).

    By the way, I too think that she was comparatively chatty in Avengers Academy, though I thought that she 'just' tried really hard to be more open with people and give honest answers to their definitely more sincere questions and I absolutely loved it when Dust finally hugged her during AvX for the simple reason that lovely and caring Dust, the first person after Megan (though Laura took more care of Megan than the other way around) to actually honestly answer Laura's surprisingly personal questions, did what we all felt for a very long time.

    I really liked Marjorie Liu's writing and Sana Takeda's art, I have rarely, if ever, seen such beautiful artwork in a comic book (or anywhere else for that matter).

    I hope to see her sooner or later in Gambit's ongoing series.

  3. #2838
    Monotonous MasterGarrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    9

    Default

    X- 23 is the reason I got back into comics as well.

    Now I'm reading Gambit's series and I am hoping she features as well, but that's unlikely with the Avengers Arena coming up.

    Does anyone know of any songs that mention X-23? Only one i have found so far is the MC Chris song 'Nrrrd Grrrl'
    Last edited by MasterGarrus; 12-05-2012 at 07:34 AM.

  4. #2839
    Haughty & Naughty Mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    This is my very first post on this forum I have been lurking around for a few months and I like to express my admiration for this fine and well developed character.
    X-23 alias Laura Kinney is not only my favorite comic book character but also the very reason I restarted reading comic books altogether. Thus even if one day I prefer another deeper, even more compelling character to her, I will always remember that it was this poor little pup with adamantium claws that got me back into something I gave up as childish over 12 years ago and let me discover how adult, well developed and deep supposedly at young teens orientated comic books can be.
    I greatly enjoyed and felt greatly inspired by the stories of this poor little victim that slowly claws out of her misery, out of the prison in her mind and cuts out her own path through the daily madness into an actual life, a life that should have been her own and so many just take for granted and/or recklessly through away. What I like best about her is that every day she gets up, she goes out into the world and really tries to make her life better, actually worth living. It's very dark, depressingly so, and yet, isn't it that what being a hero(ine) is all about? To never give up on life? To go on and try to make it better?
    And I really like how caring Gambit was, they made a great duo. And I never liked Hellion (I hate jerks).

    By the way, I too think that she was comparatively chatty in Avengers Academy, though I thought that she 'just' tried really hard to be more open with people and give honest answers to their definitely more sincere questions and I absolutely loved it when Dust finally hugged her during AvX for the simple reason that lovely and caring Dust, the first person after Megan (though Laura took more care of Megan than the other way around) to actually honestly answer Laura's surprisingly personal questions, did what we all felt for a very long time.

    I really liked Marjorie Liu's writing and Sana Takeda's art, I have rarely, if ever, seen such beautiful artwork in a comic book (or anywhere else for that matter).

    I hope to see her sooner or later in Gambit's ongoing series.
    Welcome to our forum and back to comics in general. I've been collecting comic books off and on again for a very, very, very long time. And as much as I would like to walk away from them. I've found it hard to. Comic books give me an opportunity to read about the qualities I like in men and women. I also get a tremendous lift from looking at the art. X-23 is my 3rd favourite comic book character behind Batman (Bruce Wayne) and Emma Frost.

    I too enjoy reading stories about people who overcome adversity, especially brutal and horrific ones like X-23 experienced and not allow that to define who they are.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

  5. #2840
    never stop growing
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Thank you for the warm welcome dear Mia

    Indeed, it is adversity and conflict that make a story compelling, it's the myriad shades of grey, layer upon layer that make characters alive and the more personal it gets the more compelling they become. To compare, (and I know I risk a little flak here) Scott Summers was a rather bland and boring boyscout with hardly any memorable qualities before Jean's death nor did I find Jean very compelling. I don't hate them, they are just uninteresting, when I think think about them I can't find a single thing that made them memorable as people, though cyke has become more interesting now. Emma Frost (while I actually don't like her because she is a jerk, to put it mildly) is memorable, when I think about her, she is that psychic diamond witch (with a capital B) that complains so much and then helps anyway. She is memorable, Jean was ....not. (I hope I haven't insulted you Mia, I like Batman too;))

    And now because this is a thread about X-23, let's go on about Laura, when I first read about her some people (whose name's I know not and care not) compared her to Marrow. They have a lot in common, but they are also very different. Laura is an introvert, she hardly shows any emotion other than cutting herself (something she hardly does in public). Sarah is an extrovert who reacted (during the run in the late 90's) with an insane amount rage and violence (be it emotional or physical) to any unknown situation to hide her fear (and a good amount of that fear was the fear of rejection) and to cope with a very hostile world. Both share this fear of rejection, but they deal with it very differently, Laura cuts herself and tries/tried (not very certain here) not to bind herself to much to people, Sarah "redecorated" rooms and cut other people (though those were mainly villains and Logan).

    Would someone mind taking it from here? I don't want to flood the thread with my thought's, opinions and conclusions. I like hearing other people's too!
    Last edited by Platinius; 12-06-2012 at 03:22 PM.

  6. #2841
    Monotonous MasterGarrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I've just finished reading 'The Killing Dream' and. It. Is. Amazing!!! Really well written by Marjorie Liu and well drawn throughout by the artists. I really liked how Liu wrote Gambit and X's relationship, both being outsiders and both needing someone. Their's is a relationship that feels genuine. Surge got on X's case quickly and was relentless, it was good to see Cyclops difuse the situation, even if he put his foot in it with X.

    It was the first major story I have read with X-23, only other things I have read with her in being the last Avenger's Academy (which felt like a bit of a weak finale) and #3 of Target X (which I thoroughly enjoyed). I know, kinda lame only reading parts of story arcs, but they were all I could find featuring everyone's favourite little cutter. Before reading The Killing Dream, X was my 5th favourite character (after Gambit, Hank Pym, Namor and the almighty Cable), but she has instantly shot up to the top dog position. She is written better than any of these characters, apart from maybe Hank Pym. She has depth of character, what with her lack of finesse with words, low opinion of herself, introverted nature and self-harming tendencies. It is refreshing to see a comic book character have real problems that can't be solved by having a fight with some super tanked up villain, but who instead just needs someone to be there for them. I think Spider-man paved the way for this, but he was still just a bit too fantastical to relate to. X-23, on the other hand, is completley relatable to. If you take away the claws and the healing factor, she is just like a, sadly, large portion of young people who feel lost, helpless and alone. Again, this appears to be the work of Marjorie Liu's amazing writing (feel free to correct me if it was already a major part of X-23's character or appeal to you as a reader).

    I cannot wait for the start of Avenger's Arena, where I will get to see X-23 fight for her life and, let's hope, win. And I have just found out that the artist (Kev Walker) is doing a signing next week near me in conjunction with the first Avenger's Arena.
    Last edited by MasterGarrus; 12-07-2012 at 07:32 AM.

  7. #2842
    Senior Member PaxHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGarrus View Post
    I cannot wait for the start of Avenger's Arena, where I will get to see X-23 fight for her life and, let's hope, win. And I have just found out that the artist (Kev Walker) is doing a signing next week near me in conjunction with the first Avenger's Arena.
    In that case......the Preview Pages for AVENGERS ARENA #1 are already released @ ....

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=14482

  8. #2843

    Default

    I have a question about Laura's wardrobe. I'm working on an X-23 sketch where she's posed like Wolverine from my favorite Glenn Fabry painting and I'm not sure what her outfit should look like. I remember her wearing an all black outfit in X-Force and was wondering is that her standard look when she goes into action? What should she be wearing if not the stealth look? Thx in advance for any help you can give.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

  9. #2844
    Flashbang Fanatic rifleman101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washignton State.
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ood Friend View Post
    I have a question about Laura's wardrobe. I'm working on an X-23 sketch where she's posed like Wolverine from my favorite Glenn Fabry painting and I'm not sure what her outfit should look like. I remember her wearing an all black outfit in X-Force and was wondering is that her standard look when she goes into action? What should she be wearing if not the stealth look? Thx in advance for any help you can give.
    Break the norm. She's always shown in a skimpy tank top or something impractical. Give her practical form fitting full body armor with printed camo. As someone who is trained for the rigors and chaos of combat, she should be portrayed as being sensible about this other than 'fortunately my super powers will save me.'
    Ni! Peng! Nee-wom!

  10. #2845
    never stop growing
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Funny thing is, she wore much more sensible clothes during her very first depiction in X-men: Evolution (and I liked that no nonsense look), though her personality was quite different.

  11. #2846
    Monotonous MasterGarrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    In that case......the Preview Pages for AVENGERS ARENA #1 are already released @ ....

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=14482
    I know, I have seen them already. It looks ace from what I have seen...

  12. #2847
    Monotonous MasterGarrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X-23 (2).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	105424

    This is a cool picture collection....

  13. #2848
    Senior Member Chaos_Alfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ood Friend View Post
    I have a question about Laura's wardrobe. I'm working on an X-23 sketch where she's posed like Wolverine from my favorite Glenn Fabry painting and I'm not sure what her outfit should look like. I remember her wearing an all black outfit in X-Force and was wondering is that her standard look when she goes into action? What should she be wearing if not the stealth look? Thx in advance for any help you can give.
    This is her current default costume:

    [/QUOTE]

    But it seems it is going ot be changed in Avenger Arena in to this:


  14. #2849
    ❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    <☼V☼>
    Posts
    6,233

    Default

    Mouse drawing I did in MS paint.

    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

  15. #2850
    Fish Out of Water Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    Mouse drawing I did in MS paint.

    Nice work. The style reminds me of old-school video games like "Another World" and "Flashback".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •