Page 263 of 323 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267273313 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 4841

started reading the original aoa series (the 4 complete hardcovers) for the first time over the weekend and some early questions:

are the original horseman besides candra, gideon and sabretooth ever identified? i didn't recognize who they were supposed to be.

weapon x never met sabretooth in aoa prior to their fight at cape citadel?

btw, it's funny to see some of the artists' work attached to these mid 90s issues compared to what they put out now. terry dodson in particular.
    and i'm counting 1, counting 2, counting 3...

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streator View Post
    started reading the original aoa series (the 4 complete hardcovers) for the first time over the weekend and some early questions:

are the original horseman besides candra, gideon and sabretooth ever identified? i didn't recognize who they were supposed to be.

weapon x never met sabretooth in aoa prior to their fight at cape citadel?

btw, it's funny to see some of the artists' work attached to these mid 90s issues compared to what they put out now. terry dodson in particular.
    No, War and Death were never identified.

AoA follows the course of Earth-616 until Xavier was killed by Legion. Thus, it can be reasonably assumed that Weapon X and Sabretooth's encounters before that took place as they did in 616, but neither of them probably remember it due to the memory wipes.

I've a question in regard to Q. Quire.. Has it ever been revealed where he's from geographically speaking. Is he from middle America or someplace else? Some of his mannerisms and whatnot seem to relay being from somewhere in The United Kingdom, but that might just be affectation.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    I've a question in regard to Q. Quire.. Has it ever been revealed where he's from geographically speaking. Is he from middle America or someplace else? Some of his mannerisms and whatnot seem to relay being from somewhere in The United Kingdom, but that might just be affectation.
    He had found out that his mother adopted him, so he really could be from anywhere, in terms of nationality. As far as where he was raised... he keeps a newspaper clipping of the Daily Bugle story that ran the day he was born, that had mutants with whips lording over humans.

So he would apparently be American?

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

Can anyone suggest the 400-493 Uncanny run? I have 494-544 and issues 390-399 and the completist in me is barking to just grab the entire 400's but my buddy said it all sucks until you hit #494.

Justified Ancient of MuMu yvahed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joegeek View Post
    Can anyone suggest the 400-493 Uncanny run? I have 494-544 and issues 390-399 and the completist in me is barking to just grab the entire 400's but my buddy said it all sucks until you hit #494.

I only really enjoyed the Claremont issues #444-474 but YMMV depending on whether you like Claremont. Great art by Alan Davis and Bachalo.
    Joe Casey's stuff in the early 400 is interesting (XCorp etc.) but his cast never really grabbed me.
    Brubaker's Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire (#475 up) is kind of ok but then it spins off into the Marvel Cosmic side (Annihilation / War of the Kings etc.)

Justified Ancient of MuMu yvahed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joegeek View Post

Can anyone add any tie-ins I may want to add to the following TPB's to help the story along?
    .....or are the TPB's enough to follow along?
    .....and keep in mind I am new to X books and mutants, I know nothing!
    House of M TPB (collects 1-8 M)
    Messiah Complex TPB (Uncanny 492-494, X-Men 205-207, X-Factor 25-27, New X-Men 44-46, Messiah Complex 1)
    I really would read X-Men Supernovas and Blinded by The Light really enjoyable arcs by Mike Carey though not totally essential.
    Also the first two years of X-Factor (before Messiah Complex) are great to read. Layla Miller is a pivotal character in House of M and Messiah Complex and X-Factor is where her story lies.

ok. REALLY random here. Marvel has a habit, love it or hate it, to reverting back to vol 1 numbering on landmark issues. Recent ones that come to mind are Fantastic Four 600, Wolverine 300, Amazing Spider-Man 600, X-Factor 200 etc. I understand the market reasoning and value in doing this even if it is slightly confusing from time to time.

However, when X-Men was renamed X-Men Legacy with #208, they also another title "X-Men" and ran it concurrently (through X-Men Legacy 275 and X-Men 37). Not including .1's (which I'm assuming will never be counted as full issues) there will have been 275 issues of X-Men v2/New X-Men/X-Men Legacy and 41 issues of X-Men v3. Even though they were separate titles with very separate purposes does that add together in Marvel's logic? Making the Wood/Coipel X-Men v4 #1 equivalent to v1 #317?

I know that sounds convoluted and dumb but I'm just trying to predict when they will redo the numbering back to #350 for example.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentFelix View Post
    ok. REALLY random here. Marvel has a habit, love it or hate it, to reverting back to vol 1 numbering on landmark issues. Recent ones that come to mind are Fantastic Four 600, Wolverine 300, Amazing Spider-Man 600, X-Factor 200 etc. I understand the market reasoning and value in doing this even if it is slightly confusing from time to time.

However, when X-Men was renamed X-Men Legacy with #208, they also another title "X-Men" and ran it concurrently (through X-Men Legacy 275 and X-Men 37). Not including .1's (which I'm assuming will never be counted as full issues) there will have been 275 issues of X-Men v2/New X-Men/X-Men Legacy and 41 issues of X-Men v3. Even though they were separate titles with very separate purposes does that add together in Marvel's logic? Making the Wood/Coipel X-Men v4 #1 equivalent to v1 #317?

I know that sounds convoluted and dumb but I'm just trying to predict when they will redo the numbering back to #350 for example.
    Your explanation is not convoluted and dumb, Felix - comics are ;)

X-Men Legacy is a tricky case when it comes to renumbering for exactly the reason you pointed out. However, it's not as if there is no precedent for wacky arithmetic in these cases - Marvel counted the 12 issues of FF towards getting to #600 of Fantastic Four, even though those two titles then ran simultaneous to one another.

Basically, they can set any kind of rules that they want!

That said, my personal wild guess is that if they wanted to re-number the X-Men flagship to a high number (which definitely has some benefits, including ending confusion about what book casual fans should buy), they would go with #207 + 41 + Wood's run without counting the Legacy issues, since that really isn't the same title or mission statement. Those issues could count towards up-numbering Legacy to #100 at a later date, if that would be advantageous to them.

I don't see why they wouldn't count the .1 issues - they're full issues, and they've counted specials before to get to their number in the most expedient way possible.

(Wolverine #300 was arrived at from 189 of his Vol. 2 run, 74 of his Vol. 3 run, 16 of the concurrent Weapon X, and 20 of his Vol. 4 run, equaling... 299! Where'd they get that other issue? They clearly counted one of the Wolverine #900 or #1000 one-offs and not the other.)

Thanks, that all makes sense. I guess the real crime is that when they changed to Legacy it was the one time in the past 10 years that Marvel didn't see fit to do a cancel/reboot with #1. Then it would be clean and Legacy would have been 1-68 instead of 208-275. I really am not a fan of the .1's though. It makes it really hard when counting out issues long term. Especially with longer runs. First one that comes to mind (even though it's a short run) is Uncanny X-Force. they managed to have a 5.1 and a 19.1. So there were 37 issues in 1-35. So does that make Uncanny X-Force v2 #1 equivalent to v1 #36 or #38?? grrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    No, War and Death were never identified.

AoA follows the course of Earth-616 until Xavier was killed by Legion. Thus, it can be reasonably assumed that Weapon X and Sabretooth's encounters before that took place as they did in 616, but neither of them probably remember it due to the memory wipes.
    i know the basic gist of aoa just had never read the actual issues. you're probably right about the memory wiping stuff, too, especially since apocalypse got involved earlier than usual.

anyone know who came up with the aoa morph design/personality? he's a much different character than the changeling or the animated series morph was, would like to know how it was determined to make him much more cartoony and what not.
    and i'm counting 1, counting 2, counting 3...

I may have posted something similar in another thread when I first joined. I was a comic book collector back in the 80s and stopped probably from the early 90s until the New 52 relaunch. After converting to all digital, I decided to give the Marvel Digital Unlimited subscription a try. Outside of some issues with viewing those comics on my Kindle Fire, I've been enjoying it.

For those that have it, are there x-related story arcs starting in the 90s (on MDCU -- or I can check) that are worth pursuing? I don't mind starting at the ground floor and working (very slowly) my way up.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Wolverine #300 was arrived at from 189 of his Vol. 2 run, 74 of his Vol. 3 run, 16 of the concurrent Weapon X, and 20 of his Vol. 4 run, equaling... 299! Where'd they get that other issue? They clearly counted one of the Wolverine #900 or #1000 one-offs and not the other.)
    The issue in question that was not included in your initial count is Wolverine (1988) Minus 1 from the flashback month that took place in all the ongoing titles during the summer of 1997 which falls in between issues #114 and #115.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkaman Blade View Post
    The issue in question that was not included in your initial count is Wolverine (1988) Minus 1 from the flashback month that took place in all the ongoing titles during the summer of 1997 which falls in between issues #114 and #115.
    Cool! I have that issue, but didn't think of it being counted. Just lends credence to them counting whatever they please - how is a #-1 different than a #.1 or a #1000?

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Cool! I have that issue, but didn't think of it being counted. Just lends credence to them counting whatever they please - how is a #-1 different than a #.1 or a #1000?
    It truly is a bit odd sometimes how the issues are added up by Marvel to accumulate the desired anniversary number when the time arrives. The Wolverine #900 is still one that is just a bizarre instance to me and one that I viewed having an excessively high issue number just for the sake of doing so in correlation to the running gag that Wolverine is always everywhere at once (unless that was somehow Wolverine's 900th comic book appearance at that point I would not want to do the math, just a random thought).

But for the Minus 1 I always grouped it into still being the monthly Wolverine title since it in fact took the ongoing books spot for the month, but have also counted other times where an ongoing was supplanted for a few months by another book in it's place. For example with keeping to Wolverine, when Age of Apocalypse took over for 4 issues with Weapon X but with that Marvel math those 4 issues weren't included in the count to issue #300. So like you said it seems that whatever fits the bill sometimes is what goes, but to me it does not really bother me all that much if the original numbering is still in place. I just want a good story, the number attached is merely secondary.