Page 52 of 151 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Probably a wise thing...Rick would, as he does with everything, make it all about himself.
    Black Canary owns your world.

Has Gotta Lust For Life! JamesRitcheyIII's Avatar
    In a wheatfield on the planet Mars, beneath a cold green sky and the distant stars.

Quote Originally Posted by JTPencils View Post
    Thanks for that Jim. And I'd like to state right here, I've never claimed to be the F-A-S-T-E-S-T artist out there. But I am pretty darn fast at stopping work when I can see I'm not going to get what I was promised out of it. (payment). As for how Jeff and I work out our artistic creations, it's as you said... a back and forth thing. We tend to work together very well, and I feel we've got a sort of "short hand" of thinking where I can put something into an illo that he'll pick up on and tweak or whatever. I've never told Jeff to not "enhance" my pencils if he thinks something's going to look even better. I have at times, gone back with him and we've discussed some items that I felt either didn't look right, or should be redone. But overall, I'm always satisfied with what he does with my work. In his own words, Jeff always calls it "fixin' it", or "the doctor will take care of it"... But then again, Jeff's a southern boy... and they're always "fixin" to do things anyhow!!!'

But if you were to put it straight to Jeff, as he has told me many times, he loves working on my pencils! If he were to have to constantly correct whatever I've done, I think he'd get sick of it pretty quick and say "maybe you should find someone else!"
    Well, like Gail just said--it's because you're freakin' great! I dunno why you're not working for DC, as you seem to fit a general 'House Style (if it can be called that)'. Your pencils, your attention to detail, are a miracle to behold. You're like a completed issue or two away from becoming Perez/Jimenez level, and probably surpassing them. I dunno the timeline on your Art Wanted page, but some are obviously that level.

Our boy wrote this to me in 'comments' over a 'Nick Cardy'-style attempt on my Facebook Photos page a couple months back, and I about cried:

Funny thing about inkers. We're forced, through necessity or proximity, to take a much closer look at a penciler than the casual onlooker might. After all, our job relies on correctly interpreting the art in a pleasing manner. Having worked over your pencils, I think I've gained some insight into your artistic process. You're a thinker. And you put thought into everything you draw. Not necessarily into pretty pencil techniques, but into the layout and the flow of the piece. Your work hints at a sublime knowledge or craftsmanship, not just an artist who is going through his daily motions. I get that feeling from many older generation artists. Sadly, I can't often say the same in modern times.
    We are lucky people to have inkers who are 'believers', ain't we?
    Last edited by JamesRitcheyIII; 03-20-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone View Post
    Probably a wise thing...Rick would, as he does with everything, make it all about himself.
    Yes, figured I'd stop that crazy train before it got any steam going.
    DOC Boucher
    www.inter-fan.org
    http://www.inter-fan.org/InterFanJam...fanJam2009.htm

Can you smell what Barack is cookin'?

"In MY universe...EVERYONE wins!"

"History holds tightly to her truths."

PAY TIM HIS MONEY, RICK!
    My favorite asinine quote by RO
    "I put words on paper and in places where the reader can feel comfortable on the plus or negative side."

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitcheyIII View Post
    Well, like Gail just said--it's because you're freakin' great! I dunno why you're not working for DC, as you seem to fit a general 'House Style (if it can be called that)'. Your pencils, your attention to detail, are a miracle to behold. You're like a completed issue or two away from becoming Perez/Jimenez level, and probably surpassing them. I dunno the timeline on your Art Wanted page, but some are obviously that level.

Our boy wrote this to me in 'comments' over a 'Nick Cardy'-style attempt on my Facebook Photos page a couple months back, and I about cried:

We are lucky people to have inkers who are 'believers', ain't we?
    Jeff's been inking a few of my illos for Jim Main's Comic Fan. I am very privlege to have him as collaborator and friend.
    DOC Boucher
    www.inter-fan.org

PAY TIM HIS MONEY, RICK!
    "I put words on paper and in places where the reader can feel comfortable on the plus or negative side."

That's always been his thing...post a bunch of bullshit and hope it comes true somehow, with other people doing all the work. Orcomx lasted because Dennis was the mailer and did all the work, for nearly a decade. Fresh came out because the Stronachs and others did all the real work (and edited Rick's small, always late contributions into English).

The guy couldn't run ONE con a year, and he's pretending he could run all these?

It's funny. No one showed up to his comic convention. Why would he think he'd do any better in other genre forms?
    Yeah, Dennis told me about who did what as far as Orcomix went. I'm sure those issues he has coming out probably are mosty Dennis' work or labor.
    DOC Boucher
    www.inter-fan.org

PAY TIM HIS MONEY, RICK!

Yeah, pretty much every ORCOMX I have, when Rick got his stuff in at all, it's always about his excuses for being late with his material.

And awful, awful stuff it is.

I can't find the fish story somehow.

Anyone else have it?

And let's face it, Rick's gone from pro and semi-pro artists with talent and resumes, to, well, convicted murderers without those things.

Pretty soon he'll be asking stray cats to draw his Mary Sue adventures.

And let's face it, Rick's gone from pro and semi-pro artists with talent and resumes, to, well, convicted murderers without those things.

Pretty soon he'll be asking stray cats to draw his Mary Sue adventures.
    It still confuses me how in the hell he was ever able to get bigger name industry people on board with some of his projects. Sure, I know there aren't necessarily any warning signs right away, but how does one just GET Chuck Dixon to work on a comic?
    Lightbringer - The World's First Superhero

Long Live the Revolution! Revolution of the Mask - Issue 2 Now Available!

Let's set bad comics on fire from Atop the Fourth Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Linkara View Post
    It still confuses me how in the hell he was ever able to get bigger name industry people on board with some of his projects. Sure, I know there aren't necessarily any warning signs right away, but how does one just GET Chuck Dixon to work on a comic?
    Two things with that:

a) He was offering big money to people, who didn't then know it was a load of bull.

b) Most of the creators weren't hired by Olney, they were hired by his creative directors, Jeff Austin and Dave Lanphear. People knew Austin and Lanphear. You could probably get some "name" creators working for you if you had Gail or Crowley or someone do all the approaching for you.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Right, people came aboard because of Dave's rep, not Rick's.

And it's the same thing as his cons...Scott Shaw, bless his heart, did try to warn me that Rick was a lying lunatic, because he had witnessed some of Olney's crybaby meltdowns on comicon.com, but by that point I had already committed. If you're an actual pro, you have to honor your commitments. So by the time people warned Chuck, he was too professional to back out, even though I think it was already obvious that Rick had no plan, no money, no experience, no talent, and no ability to actually make any of his fanboy delusions come true.

I know this still weighs on Dave to this day, that people came aboard on his word and got screwed by such an obvious con man.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkara View Post
    Charles is right on one point:

At the time Dave Lamphear was "fronting" for Olney, and Chuck knows and trusts Dave, so he was willing to consider a project Dave brought him.

Olney may have promised big on the money front, and Chuck was certainly willing to take at face value what was offered, but I don't think it was a deciding factor.

Much more likely what decided him to do it was the opportunity to write a story in a genre he enjoys writing (horror), but which he doesn't get much opportunity to do. Chuck's like that. Offer him a chance at something he hasn't done a lot, and he'll do it for kicks. (One reason why he does as much Simpsons work as he does. He finds it a hoot.) When I and friends were putting together the first Shooting Stars anthology, and we asked him to contribute, he did it for free, playing his artist himself, because it gave him an opportunity to do a western which he wanted to do and hadn't had a chance in a long time.

He himself didn't necessarily need the money in a big way, but the artists he got to do it (from an Argentinian studio) DID, plus the opportunity to get in front of the American readers. So he was REALLY pissed at how Olney's actions affected them.

Comics as they should be! JTPencils's Avatar

Pssh. Rick knows as much about art as he knows about how to wear a clean, unsmelly shirt. You have more talent in your finger than he would if he lived the million years it'll take him to keep his word on anything.

I just relooked at your art page. Brother, you go nothing to worry about. You can DRAW.
    OK, now I'm totally flattered. To hear words like this from someone's work that I enjoy and respect... it's just... I thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitcheyIII View Post
    On this note... after getting two VERY nice compliments from folks whose work I admire... I'm gonna take the day off and try to not let this smile grow too much!

Thanks again.

As for the Art Wanted page thing... I really should update that thing! Thanks for reminding me!

HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA!

Oh, my god. Just when you think he can't get any stupider!

THIS IS HYSTERICAL!

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA!

Okay, okay, let me catch my breath.

Okay. This is an all-time Olney classic.

First, he flips out. As anyone reading his 'political' blog knows, it's all idiotic bullshit he cuts and pastes without giving credit to the original authors, and it's almost pure bullshit because he's too stupid and lazy to look up the facts.

But this is my favorite.

This is from his blog...not sure where his idiocy ends and where the email he's quoting from begins, but here's some.

"I received the below email earlier today. I'll divulge its source to anyone bothering to email me. Ceratinly with all that has taken place with Health Care and Taxation without Representation, those of us that took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution are now in a state of activity and readiness for whatever financial and (hopefully) peaceful support to our American legal system. It is our last line of defense beyond taking up positions to protect all that this country stands for.

Listen up homeowners...this is true and proof as well!!!!!

Don't want to be bothered with "Political stuff?" You'd better read this one. It will come as a huge shock to you if you aren't informed as to what Obama is up to, and it has already passed one hurdle. It will take very little now to put it into actual law!! YOU'D BETTER WAKE UP AMERICA !!!!

So you think you live in a free country.

Boy have you got a surprise coming.

A License Required for your HOUSE?

If you own your home you really need to check this out. At the end of this email is the Google link to verify. If the country thinks the housing market is depressed now, wait until everyone sees this. No one will be buying homes in the future."

So twice at least, he (or the letter) scolds the reader for not being informed and not reading the required material.

And the final link? The ultimate proof, posted at the bottom of the page?

A Snopes link.

Snopes is non-partisan, right? They are well-respected for keeping personal politics out of their debunking, so clearly, if the idiot is posting a Snopes link, it must support his crackpot theory, right?

Well, no.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/captrade.asp

It in fact, says every fricking thing in Rick's article is pure, hysterical BULLSHIT. The bill was put into place BEFORE Obama became president, it has nothing to do with Rick's paranoid rants (for which he says the President should be removed from office, and cries about how this will destroy the country), it has nothing to do with older homes at all. It provides NO provision for older homes to have to pass standards to be sold. It provides new standards for NEW buildings to meet, something that contractors have had to meet literally for DECADES. These rules change ALL THE TIME.

To the contrary, Rick, you moron, it provides Federal incentives to those looking to improve their property to meet the new standards.

Get that, you idiot? It PROVIDES MONEY, to boost conservation and clean energy jobs. Everything in the article that made you wet your pants is FALSE and your OWN LINK proved it.

You can disagree with Cap and Trade for a number of reasons...but the 'facts' Rick is touting are disputed in the links he himself provided. Most of the sources are morons that prey on idiots like Rick, people who blame the world for their own failures, who think an armed revolution is coming. The only real source is the SF Examiner, which repeats precisely NONE of the crazy claims in Rick's loony rant, but disagrees with Cap and Trade, citing a lack of success with it in Europe.

Rick, you are maybe the dumbest thing walking. But why not read your own links before going to live in your outhouse, picking off 'Revenuers!' with your squirrel gun?

Maybe then you wouldn't look so MUCH like a goddamn idiot.

Or at least don't post links that prove you didn't even read the material before filling your drawers.

Has Gotta Lust For Life! JamesRitcheyIII's Avatar
    In a wheatfield on the planet Mars, beneath a cold green sky and the distant stars.

Dear Rick,

You could stand to lose a few pounds. You're personally a very rare animal, an Ex-Marine (and I say 'Ex' quite deliberately--you have no character) who 'has a few extra pounds'. I've known 4 retired Marines besides you, and they are all in tip top shape. My good friend Ron Fortier is a retired marine, is in his 'sixties, and looks like he works out every day. Not the best insult to be coming from you, as you are the stereotype you seem to revile the most--an aging, functional mentally/emotionally handicapped man, with a fantasy-prone personality, very poor hygiene, and...a weight problem.

When you try to paint Gcom in that light, we visualize YOU.

SINcerely, Jim 'Everything You're NOT' Ritchey.
    -------------------------------------

Gail/Tammy--if your name is Tammy James, can I be a Shandell?
    Last edited by JamesRitcheyIII; 03-21-2010 at 03:49 PM.