Page 141 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2265

I'm evil too, just not THAT rick.

This thread has always been a public embarrassment that has always made the people posting on it come across almost as odiously as Olney himself, and it really is time for it to die.

Pretty much everyone at this point understands that Olney is a crook and an asshole, but what you people on this thread donít seem to get is that while excoriating Olney, youíve managed to make yourselves look bad in the process.

I know most of the people who have actively supported this thread and in most cases I know that they are decent, first rate people, however if I just knew them from this thread I would have a completely different opinion.

There comes a point where you stop being an angry group of people and turn into a mob, and that point for this mess was about a year and a half ago.

Once I would have agreed with you, but Olney follows an 18-month to 2 year cycle with his scams and garbage, and I'm more than happy that we've been able to divert his attention and he's been limited in what he's been able to do to others.

If nobody was watching him, he'd be right back in to trying to scam some other poor sod. Yet another artist getting their dreams crushed through this sociopath's leading them up the garden path with promises of high page rates and published work that will NEVER come to fruition.
    OzBat!

Now with 150% more SNARK!

I promise that I understand your respect and toleration of my positions does not imply you agree with me. If you promise that my respect and toleration of your positions does not imply you have open season on mine.

Are you a Rules Lawyer? Try annoying someone who cares!

Quote Originally Posted by OzBat! View Post
    Once I would have agreed with you, but Olney follows an 18-month to 2 year cycle with his scams and garbage, and I'm more than happy that we've been able to divert his attention and he's been limited in what he's been able to do to others.

If nobody was watching him, he'd be right back in to trying to scam some other poor sod. Yet another artist getting their dreams crushed through this sociopath's leading them up the garden path with promises of high page rates and published work that will NEVER come to fruition.

Doesn't Gail already have a new version up at Jinxworld?

Actually, I'm not helping to bring about what I want, by continuing to post on this one, so excuse me for bowing out.

The thing is no longer stickied and hopefully that will be good enough.

Video Games give me PTS! Crowley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rick View Post
    I'm evil too, just not THAT rick.

This thread has always been a public embarrassment that has always made the people posting on it come across almost as odiously as Olney himself, and it really is time for it to die.

Pretty much everyone at this point understands that Olney is a crook and an asshole, but what you people on this thread donít seem to get is that while excoriating Olney, youíve managed to make yourselves look bad in the process.

I know most of the people who have actively supported this thread and in most cases I know that they are decent, first rate people, however if I just knew them from this thread I would have a completely different opinion.

There comes a point where you stop being an angry group of people and turn into a mob, and that point for this mess was about a year and a half ago.
    rick,

Because you don't work in the industry... you don't understand how important the formation of Unscrewed is and the continuation of this thread is.

People's livelihoods are at stake with pay checks and scams pulled by Rick and several other disreputable publishers and this thread means alot because its one of the very few where people took an active stance against a disreputable publisher.

The result has been Unscrewed helping several other freelancers from being fucked by being backed by legal representation.

As someone who will never see a dime from a publisher who fucked me over... I have to say that you're absolutely wrong about this thread ALOT of good work came out of it.

My give a damn's busted. KevinTBrown's Avatar

Doesn't Gail already have a new version up at Jinxworld?

Actually, I'm not helping to bring about what I want, by continuing to post on this one, so excuse me for bowing out.

The thing is no longer stickied and hopefully that will be good enough.
    People's true colors sure do appear once others, like Gail, are gone.....

This pretty much verifies MY concerns that this YABS is going to be more like 'yabs-lite"... and not in a good way.

It's a shame.
    The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous

Everybody has a right to have an opinion, no matter how wrong they might be.

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives. ~ John Stuart Mill

Who besides Gail has gone to Jinxworld?
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
    rick,

Because you don't work in the industry... you don't understand how important the formation of Unscrewed is and the continuation of this thread is.

People's livelihoods are at stake with pay checks and scams pulled by Rick and several other disreputable publishers and this thread means alot because its one of the very few where people took an active stance against a disreputable publisher.

The result has been Unscrewed helping several other freelancers from being fucked by being backed by legal representation.

As someone who will never see a dime from a publisher who fucked me over... I have to say that you're absolutely wrong about this thread ALOT of good work came out of it.

Crowley, I worked in the industry for almost 25 years.

Please don't lecture me.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTBrown View Post
    People's true colors sure do appear once others, like Gail, are gone.....

This pretty much verifies MY concerns that this YABS is going to be more like 'yabs-lite"... and not in a good way.

It's a shame.

Gee Kevin, can you be more condescending and superior if you tried?
    And on that note I am really leaving this thread now.

It's amazing to see what people turn into when they post on this one.

Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar

I agree with Rick. This thread is one of the things that put me off YABS, despite enjoying many of the regular posters. I think this is a great time for a tonal shift on the board.

Video Games give me PTS! Crowley's Avatar

Please don't lecture me.
    When? For who? And doing what?

If you did for that long you know how common it is for freelancers to be fucked over.

Please don't lecture me.
    Then, likewise, you also shouldn't lecture the folks who have contributed to this thread over the years. You can easily continue to stay out of it, if it's as pointless as you claim it is.

For the record, I will say that, on balance, this thread has more positive then negative in it's purpose, and has provided a valuable service in warning folks of this individual who cheated people for over a decade, in relative obscurity, because too many people either did believe his multiple threats of lawsuits and were scared to retaliate, or they thought that he just wasn't worth talking about, and simply moved on. But by doing so, they allowed many others to be cheated and ripped off. So now, thanks to this thread(s), that is much less likely in the future.

That being said, I've posted before that, in my opinion, sometimes this thread has gotten way off track. Some people seemed to enjoy trading insults with Olney, back and forth over the internet, a little too much. There was no need to post and comment on every single new blog he posted, most of which were just rambling diatribe about nothing, and trying to pretend he's a big shot (& which he would just delete in a few days anyway). But whenever I'd bring that up, folks would just get all self-defensive about it, so I just stopped.

I think most of his nonsense can just be ignored now. Hopefully, now if this thread continues (& personally, I don't think I'll be around much anymore after this), it can be just when there's some actual news, like if we get word of him seriously attempting some other business venture, in which case it's good to re-warn others again. And, of course, when the Unscrewed Anthology is finally published, that should be announced here.

You did?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTBrown View Post
    People's true colors sure do appear once others, like Gail, are gone....
    Rick had said this about the old Olney thread yonks ago. I think he even said it to Gail.
    "We must fight on!"

Damm, I'm bad at this leaving thing aren't I?

1. I worked for Diamond, Warp, Last Gasp, the Rip Off Press and Comix & Comics among others.

2. I have never hidden my disgust for this thread, and certainly have never hesitated to tell Gail exactly what I thought of it, and at least once suffered the entire wrath of the board for doing so.

3. Finally, there is nothing wrong with the whole Unscrewed thing, nor is there anything wrong with keeping track on Oleny. What's wrong with this thread is that you people have taken what should have been an important service and turned it into a childish, rather asinine bitch fest.

1. I worked for Diamond, Warp, Last Gasp, the Rip Off Press and Comix & Comics among others.
    Either you haven't talked about it much or I've been very, very dense, and it's going to be the latter.

and certainly have never hesitated to tell Gail exactly what I thought of it
    Yay, I remember things.
    "We must fight on!"

Damm, I'm bad at this leaving thing aren't I?
    Don't worry, no one believed you were really going to leave it anyway.