Page 61 of 86 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

My copy of Phillip Jose Farmer's Strange Relations arrived yesterday.

I got my limited signed edition copy of War Maid's Choice by David Weber in the mail today along with Advent by James Treadwell.

I'm going to get the serpent's shadow on thursday.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination by Neal Gabler. also, Marvel Essentials: Marvel Horror vol 1.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Second-hand, cheap, and made of paper! Me am happy!

(In case you wonder, the Sprague de Camp one is a translation of Lest darkness falls. The cover takes liberties with the story, but it's still a pretty nice Henri Lievens painting.)
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

You read in French as well!!!
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Second-hand, cheap, and made of paper! Me am happy!

(In case you wonder, the Sprague de Camp one is a translation of Lest darkness falls. The cover takes liberties with the story, but it's still a pretty nice Henri Lievens painting.)
    A few nice covers in there, in fact. Have you read any Jimmy Guieu books? From his wiki profile I see he was a very prolific French SF writer and a lot of his titles sound really intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    A few nice covers in there, in fact. Have you read any Jimmy Guieu books? From his wiki profile I see he was a very prolific French SF writer and a lot of his titles sound really intriguing.
    Most of the writers who contributed to the Anticipation line at Fleuve Noir (the famous "rocketship collection"!) were indeed very prolific and seemed to have a lot of fun with their space operas. I am especially fond of the works of Peter Randa and of Richard-Bessières (two pseudonyms for three guys, the latter being a duo). I am not all that familiar with Guieu's books, but the few I read were very decent. It's honest, pulpy science-fiction in the golden age tradition.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Most of the writers who contributed to the Anticipation line at Fleuve Noir (the famous "rocketship collection"!) were indeed very prolific and seemed to have a lot of fun with their space operas. I am especially fond of the works of Peter Randa and of Richard-Bessières (two pseudonyms for three guys, the latter being a duo). I am not all that familiar with Guieu's books, but the few I read were very decent. It's honest, pulpy science-fiction in the golden age tradition.
    After looking them up, both Randa and Richard-Bessières sound interesting - any titles in particular good to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    After looking them up, both Randa and Richard-Bessières sound interesting - any titles in particular good to start with?
    Honestly, I think any of their books would be fine; their SF stuff is in the "gotta pay the rent" vein, but always a lot of fun. Sort of, say, Van Vogt's weapon makers of Isher, with a gallic touch.
    I quite liked Les seigneurs de la nuit by Richard-Bessière; it blends history and the fantastic with its science-fiction.

Looking up Peter Randa, I just read that he died in 1979, just a year after I discovered his work. I'm saddened to learn that, although it
    explains why he stopped publishing new stuff just as I was getting into his work!

Will Eisner: A Dreamer's Life in Comics by Michael Schumaker.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Sharps by K.J. Parker, another standalone novel. This one's about fencing and international diplomacy.

The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis, the sequel to Bitter Seeds. British warlocks versus Soviet super-soldiers.
    Expletive Deleted

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Nick Cave's The Death Of Bunny Munro.

Veteran Member

For $1 each, today I bought:

Memoirs of Hadrian - Marguerite Yourcenar
    - This has the reputation of being one of the best historical fictions set in the ancient Greco-Roman world ever written, up there with things like Robert Graves's I, Claudius.

Death in Venice -Thomas Mann
    - only other book of Mann's I've read was The Magic Mountain, which I thought was very good, so nabbed this famous short story or novella.

Some Notes on Lifemanship - Stephen Potter
    - can't recall where I heard about this, but I thought it sounded funny - it's a sort of comical book of advice about how to succeed in various life situations, a sequel to "The Theory and Practice of Gamesmanship: Or the Art of Winning Games Without Actually Cheating", which I haven't found anywhere yet.

Lark Rise to Candleford - Flora Thompson
    - read about this in the Guardian a few weeks ago; first I'd ever heard of it, but I liked the sound of it. Autobiographical account of rural England in the late 19th-early 20th centuries and the passing of a way of life.

The first three were nice, red Penguin PPBs published in the 50s, which was another attraction.

Rick Riordan Serpents shadow.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”